Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Drew Mailman
United_States
Food before training

What do all of you eat before training? How much do you eat before training? And how long before training do you usually eat?

I ask this because I'm trying to find the best thing for me to eat before going to train. I work nights, so most of the day I'm asleep, and I wakie up a few hours before I have to be at class. I have no idea what would be the best thing for me to eat that won't weigh me down, make me ill, or make me feel like I'm a jug of water while doing rolls.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: Food before training

Dairy products can inspire thicker saliva in most people, and that thickness can be irksome in that it not so much as hinders breathing, it justs gums up the works. More than that might require info on your current breakfast regime.

For morning practices or seminars, I try to make sure that whatever amount of food I have will digest peacefully, but nourish until some meal soon after.
The rest of it, diet wise, is up to your long term eating habits. I find that what helps in every situation is the chance to digest up to an hour before class. Then on my way to class it is sometimes banana, almonds/cashews/etc, or some form of clif or kashi energy bar. Something dry, so it will sit still, and some water to wash it down.

Good luck..

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 06-15-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
roadster
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Barbara
United_States

Quote:
Drew Mailman wrote: View Post
What do all of you eat before training? How much do you eat before training? And how long before training do you usually eat?

I ask this because I'm trying to find the best thing for me to eat before going to train. I work nights, so most of the day I'm asleep, and I wakie up a few hours before I have to be at class. I have no idea what would be the best thing for me to eat that won't weigh me down, make me ill, or make me feel like I'm a jug of water while doing rolls.
I have the same problem. I wake up an hour or so before training with enough time for a shower. I noticed that if I don't eat anything before training, I get dizzy.

Now I eat a granola bar or the like and drink some cranberry juice or water before training. It doesn't weigh me down at all and gives me what I need. I think I am going to start eating a few small carrots or some other veggie too.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Jerry Miller

United_States

smoothy.

Jerry Miller
Old 06-15-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

For evening classes, I try to eat at least an hour before class, and generally consists of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (all natural PB, strawberry jelly, and whole wheat bread - yuuuummeeeee!) and a yogurt. Plenty of protein and complex carbs, fairly easy to digest. For morning classes, again try to eat something at least an hour beforehand, usually cereal/milk with multiple coffee chasers. Just be careful how tight you tie the hakama around your bladder after all that coffee!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

I usually don't eat anything before class. Afraid I might puke! I will have a banana an hour before class, that seems to work and provide enough energy for class. Also, bananas taste the same coming up as they do going down.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 06-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Edward
Thailand

A bar of chocolate
Old 06-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Lloyd McWhirt wrote: View Post
Also, bananas taste the same coming up as they do going down.
True dat...

I've found that an Odwalla Superfood (original green death flavor) will keep me going through class feeling good. Usually drink one an hour before I plan to be working out. Hmm, pond scum...

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

A Clif bar works great. Partner that with a Vitamin Water and I'm in business for a morning class. I also agree with the banana idea; I usually have one of those if I am out of Clif bars.

My sensei recommends a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole grain bread an hour before class. I am not a big fan of that sandwich so I haven't tried it out. I have had a peanut butter and veggie "bacon" sandwich on whole wheat bread, and that seems to work just fine.

Eating anything RIGHT before class is not recommended. I speak from experience.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 06-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
ross_l
Dojo: Genyokan

I do not eat anything at least an hour and half before training. Before intense training I will usually eat plain pasta. I only add a tiny bit of olive oil for some flavor. I avoid sauce because it will give you stinky garlic breath. I also try to eat about 50-60 percent of what I would normally eat. This seems to give me enough energy to last through training and won't make you feel bloated.

On a side note, before eating a peanut butter sandwich, please be certain there is no one in your dojo with a nut allergy!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Millerwc
Dojo: SC Seidokan Aikido
United_States

I second that smoothy thing. Some fruit, a little protein powder, some ice cubes, and a blender. Plenty of energy, without having a full stomache.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

On a related note, I remember taking going to a Friday night aikido class a long time ago where the instructor had stopped at a local burger joint (Tommy's for those who know southern california burger legends) for a double chili cheeseburger with onions. Talk about "breath power".

I don't know how she did that without tossing it...

Ah, to be 25 again. With the metabolism of a 25 year old...

Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #13
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Snickers and Gatorade. Just enough to give me energy, not enough to make me puke.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #14
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Food of champions - I used to eat two or three scallops lightly fried with olive oil (hold the garlic) about an hour before training.

I also used to have the garlic ramen between classes but they put a stop to that.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-16-2007, 12:58 AM   #15
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Drew Mailman wrote: View Post

I also work the night shift. So if I sleep before class, I will usually eat soemthing real light before I train. So, at least an hour ot 1 1/2 hours before class, I may eat a power bar, some fruit, or a bowl of cereal. I never eat alot or too soon before class. I also drink plenty of water or some other sports drink.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #16
SmilingNage
United_States

I try to avoid eating if at all possible before class. But If I need to eat:
1. Morning class would be nothing more than some toast
2. Afternoon/ Nite class Something like some chicken veg soup or chicken rice soup.
3. Seminars would be the same toast in the morning, a light soup in the afternoon break.

I can't eat noodle before class. They are just to expansive.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post

I also used to have the garlic ramen between classes but they put a stop to that.
When I was uchi deshi, I used hop up as fast as I could after one class, then pound some ramen before the next! However I strictly avoided the garlic, ha.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #18
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

I am reminded of the time I ate 2 macaroni pies before keiko.
You probably won't have had a macaroni pie unless you have been to Scotland. It's a very good reason to come pay us a visit!

Never again. Managed about 5 minutes of the warm up; thankfully i kept the dojo pasta free.

I try to avoid eating anything before practice, i like to give myself at least 2 hours digestion time. Nothing fatty, acidic or heavy.

i.e. no battered, deep-fried lemons