Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #51
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Re: Chiba Buki vs Saito Buki

"I learned a set of 8+1 sword patterns"

This was the first weapons kata Smith Shihan had me doing when I started training with the (heavily Chiba influenced) UKA. The "pure reverse irimi" (turn the hips 180, then step through and turn another 180) part was particularly difficult at first.

It is directly applicable to tai-jitsu footwork - particularly for shihonage - and if I can see that it must be really clear! Useful set.

Mark

What's the +1 bit btw Rupert?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:06 PM   #52
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

In either case, I have always understood it to be related to back-up mass and body alignment - things that are central to target penetration in that they are architecturally set to address the opposite and/or reactionary force that is related to impact and/or the resistance brought on by the target and its particulars.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:11 PM   #53
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tim Sullivan wrote:
I've been told that it has something to do with armour penetration, too. Not that we wear armour that often in the dojo...
I usually leave mine at home.

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
"I learned a set of 8+1 sword patterns"

What's the +1 bit btw Rupert?
Well, there were 8 techniques in the bokken set all related to Aiki movement. But when he taught it he did an extra one - the first one - to help learn the rest. Anyway, I like them too - and it will be viewable on Google Video soon so you'll be able to tell me if I have gotten it all wrong or not

Old 07-27-2005, 07:27 PM   #54
Tubig
Australia

Rupert,

Have you tried the 31 Jo movements by Osensei? It is pretty cool, especially when youre practicing by yourself. There is also partner practice that go with the 31 movements. It is very handy for maai, zanshin, and technique execution. The movements have a very strong aikido flavour for weapons.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #55
Rupert Atkinson

United Kingdom

Quote:
Cromwell Salvatera wrote:
Rupert,

Have you tried the 31 Jo movements by Osensei? It is pretty cool, especially when youre practicing by yourself. There is also partner practice that go with the 31 movements. It is very handy for maai, zanshin, and technique execution. The movements have a very strong aikido flavour for weapons.
I first learned that in 1985. I have a google video of that too. Now, I am developing my own way out of the classical mess - basically I am groping towards a more realistic approach to weapons - you try to hit me, let's see what I can do etc. I call it - Assault and Battery and also include single-handed stuff. I am tired of kata and see it as going nowhere real.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:16 PM   #56
Tubig
Australia

heheheh Assault and Battery hey. What is the Japanese equivalent on that one?

If you have vidoes on the stuff that your working on, please email me. I like seeing great ideas in action.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #57
Rupert Atkinson

United Kingdom

Quote:
Cromwell Salvatera wrote:
heheheh Assault and Battery hey. What is the Japanese equivalent on that one?

If you have vidoes on the stuff that your working on, please email me. I like seeing great ideas in action.
I have a brief note about it somewhere on my aikido-in-korea.com website and have uploaded loads of short videos to google - can't remember which exactly but there may be some that would interest you, except they are not viewable yet for some reason.