Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States
Feeling good after training

Ever have one of those weeks where everything is going wrong (like hellish work experiences, a broken tooth, power outages) and just keeps getting worse? And then you go to class and get thrown around and hit and beaten and you just feel GOOD about it?

Yeah, me too. Especially this Thursday. I could have hugged everyone after that class.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Feeling good

LOL Greg.... I think you did hug everyone.

I get that all the time. Even though I was really tired last night I was still happy I was there.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Janet Rosen

Re: Feeling good

Nothing breaks a bad mood like a good session in the dojo!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
rnrobles
Dojo: Southern Maryland Aikido Center
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Feeling good

I know exactly what you mean. I attribute that great feeling to

- A good set of Aikido Friends
- A good Sensei
- A very harmonious setting - the dojo
- Doing what I really love (practicing Aikido).

It doesn't matter if I took ukemi for everyone in the whole class. I'd still feel great afterwards.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
BC
Re: Feeling good after training

Plus don't forget that endorphin release as a result of a good workout!

Robert Cronin
Old 10-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

I've noticed many times that you can be just Draggin'-A$$ and after the 2 hours or so of "immersion" you feel like after a needed nap.
Very therapeutic....

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Total agreement here.

There have even been a few days when I had not planned to go to class that evening, but just had to, and was very glad I did.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 10-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Cynrod
United_States

After 7 to 10 ukemis,,,,,, "I AM ALIVE" . I feel great inside and out after each and every class.

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
Maarten De Queecker
Dojo: Aikikai Gent, Brugse Aikido Vereniging
Belgium

I'm in Kiel (Ger) at the moment, visiting a friend. I travelled there by night bus and only slept for three hours. There was an aikido class in the evening, and before class I felt really tired. After class; however, I felt completely rejuvenated.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Walter Martindale
Canada

A bad day at Aikido is better than a good day at work.

Many years before starting at aikido I was working a summer in a sawmill as a labourer. After 8 hours of slinging fresh sawn wet lumber, the best relief ever was obtained by going for a 30 minute run.

W
Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

What really got me was how good I felt despite some things going on in my brain that would normally kick of a bout of intense anxiety. I'd have some negative thoughts in the back of my head and just start smiling.

Now if I could only bottle that for use outside the dojo, I'll be set!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
heathererandolph
Dojo: Kokikai Aikido Boston
United_States

That's a great quote, Walter!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

There are many times where I just don't feel that great (emotionally or physically) and I go to class because I know that I usually end up feeling tons better by the time class is over. Sometimes, the hardest part of training is getting yourself there, but if you can find a way to push yourself to go, you usually end up feeling all the better for it.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
Shadowfax

United_States

So many times I have been tired, sore, upset or just feeling not much like training. Made myself get int the car and go to the dojo and it seems like the class is about always tailored for just what I needed that day. I leave feeling so much better, more positive, energized, less sore ore more sore but in a good way.

The past week Ive been really feeling tired. Last night especially so. I think that its partly that Ive trained hard for the past month or so to prep for testing and now its catching up with me. On top of that my allergies have gotten bad and breathing is a problem so I'm tired form lack of oxygen. Whatever last night was one of those I just really do not have the energy for a class at all and I was pretty stiff and sore from the weather changes. But I went anyway knowing that the outcome could only be good.

Well boy I am glad I didn't miss that class. Just me and one other student had Sensei all to ourselves and we took our time really exploring some things at a much slower pace. Not a lot of actual technique but the little things that lead to a technique working. Looking at some of the things we saw at Ikeda sensei's recent seminar in Ohio. I'd say it rates up there as one of the best training experiences I have had to date. Was so excited I was telling a freind about it today while we were horseback riding and shes really wants to come now and see this stuff in action for herself.

Last edited by Shadowfax : 11-02-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #15
kenshi07

United_States

I hear you man. Sometimes even though I'm pretty much dog tired after practice, I feel good. That Endorphin thing Robert was talking about is right!

Just rolling down the Aikido road.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #16
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

I guess I'm just odd. Sure sometimes I feel better after training, but a lot of the time if I'm tired before class I feel positively ill after class. Maybe it's because most of our classes are around two hours, one hours might be just the thing but two is just too much on a night like that...

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #17
Shadowfax

United_States

Paulina it sounds like you are crashing during class. Maybe you need to look at how you are fueling your body for that kind of work. I do 2 hours of class as well and most times that I start having issues before its over is because I didn't correctly fuel my self for the energy load.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #18
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

I was just thinking that same thing. I have a handful of almonds, or a nut/seed/fruit bar about an hour before class, and make sure I'm well hydrated. I also drink water during class now and then (or at least have it if I need it. Without the high-protein/high-fat snack I lose mental focus (even more easily than usual), and without the water I get dizzy.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 11-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

After a class where I just "go with the flow" and use aikido more as fun way of physical exercise and dont focus so much on getting everything right I usually feel very energetic.

After a class where I instead really focus on getting everything right, maintaining zanshin etc I usually feel totaly mentally drained.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Most days I train 2 to 3 hours and even if I am tired I am feeling good after. Exhaustion may kick in by the time I get home and plop down on the couch to eat dinner though.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Note I said on days that I'm already feeling tired before class. I think what it is is I'm seldom tired the way say an office worker might get tired, where you're tired of work but not really too tired to do something fun. When I'm tired I'm TIRED. And a class will only make it worse. I work at home so managing my meals isn't that hard.

Another thing is the feeling of wellbeing I get from doing my day job is something aikido can seldom compete with. Guess I don't do aikido to feel better.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Shadowfax

United_States

Actually I was referencing your saying:

Quote:
but a lot of the time if I'm tired before class I feel positively ill after class.
Tired is one thing. ill is another.

I have two very physical jobs. I know what you mean by tired. Just would like to hear that your not tired to the point of feeling ill after classes. That kind of tired ,to me, is telling you something needs to change.

My last several classes I have been positively exhausted by the end of them. But I still felt pretty good when I walked out the door. Feeling tired and feeling good are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #23
Suru
United_States

Quote:
Robert Cronin wrote: View Post
Plus don't forget that endorphin release as a result of a good workout!
I agree that the endorphin release is certainly part of it. I believe there is another major part of it too; I could run two miles for the endorphin rush per se, but it wouldn't feel as good. I believe that cognitively, our natural opiates aside, having connected physically, mentally, and spiritually with a bunch of others feels really good in and of itself. A sense of camaraderie for let's say, an hour-and-a-half, can make me feel good in addition to the probable release of "morphine-within" (endorphin).

Drew