Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
New Aikido Movie/Film (2015)

Posted 2014-12-05 10:04:42 by Adrian Gallucci
News URL: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4190342/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

In 2015 a brand new, full-length feature film that centers around the art of Aikido will be released in theatres. More info to come. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4190342/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Old 12-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
OutsideTheBox
Dojo: Peaceful Warrior/Stirling Ontario
Canada
Re: New Aikido Movie/Film (2015)

Here is a link to an article written by Examiner.com in regards to our film and company. Since the article, we have secured a co-producer/distributor and hope to begin filming within the next few months. -

It is our vision, to produce a unifying film that links all Aikidoka no matter their style. The film is based on the premise of non-violence and compassion toward an attacker which are core foundations within the art and our film.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...-art-of-aikido
Old 12-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
OutsideTheBox
Canada

What are your thoughts? Though we can't go into specifics, it would be great to hear others thoughts and feelings on this matter, as it is dear to our hearts and other Aikidoka.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Looks interesting. Is this simply going to be a history on the art of Aikido?

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day
Old 12-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
OutsideTheBox
Canada

It will be a Hollywood feel full-length action/adventure with a modern story-line. It will take an in-depth look at the art but not its creation.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
lifestylemanoz
Dojo: Aikido Kobukai
Australia

Tease

Old 12-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #7
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Adriano Gallucci wrote: View Post
What are your thoughts? ...
All the best to your venture!
I like your idea very much!!!

So please try to read my following thoughts not a as fundamtal critique, but only as a footnote, just the murmur of the constant complainer ... :

When I read your statement about "a unifying film that links all Aikidoka ... based on the premise of non-violence and compassion toward an attacker", it was my first thought, that if your movie really aims to unify all aikidōka, it should be accepted that your premise is actually not shared by all aikidōka.
I think the "martial" and the "pacifistic" fraction of aikidō finally accepting each other would really be unifying.

Also, when I read the article you linked I realized that your understanding of aikidō is different from my image and most of the people I practice with.
aikidō, as a Japanese budō, is clearly not different from other budō in an essential way. It just uses a certain method called aiki, to deal with an attacker. aiki is just a kind of tool, and other budō use other tools. Plus: aikidō by far is not the only budō that uses aiki.
I think understanding aikidō as not being unique but only one of the countless members of the Japanese budō family would really be unifying. And would help to see all the existing links and connections ...

Furthermore, the premise of aikidō is not "to blend with the force of any given attack and find the most peaceful resolution." Maybe this is true for some lines of tradition. And maybe when these expressions are understood as a very abstracting way of describing some underlying principles of spirituality they may work in a certain sense. But they clearly don't match the actual teaching and practice in a whole lot of dōjō around the world.
I think expressing that there are different oppinions of what aiki means, and that there is an understanding of aiki that does not mean blending with the attackers force would really be unif

(Ironically the German students of Yoshinkai I know, most clearly express that their way of doing the techniques explicetly aims to destroy the joints of an attacker. While we think it may do so, but don't necessarily has to, they say, that they aim for it. So that an attacker changes his intention and won't attack again, because he can't use his limbs anymore ...
So, you don't have to go outside your own line of tradtion. As long as it is not that uncommon in aikidō classes even of your own ryū that the practioners are taught how destroy a certain joint using a certain technique, your premises are simply not the premises of all aikidōka. )

All that said ...

... I'm really looking forward to a movie featering aikidō!
Even if it does not unify all of us.

Btw.:
A befriended Czech aikidōka and stuntman did this videoclip " AIKIDO - Street Story".
And also the "Making of", which I find veeeery interesting!
I think, you know this film. Like it - or not?
Old 12-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
OutsideTheBox
Canada

Thank you for the posts. We truly do appreciate it though we regrettably can not go into much detail.

The film is meant to unify because we feel it is in-line with O-Sensei' original message of peace; a method of finding peace within oneself through the art. Aikido is a symbol of hope in a troubled world.

A quote from O-Sensei: "Rely on peace to activate your manifold powers; Pacify you environment and create a beautiful world"

Thank you for supporting.

LIFE-LOVE-AIKIDO
Old 12-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #9
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
A quote from O-Sensei: "Rely on peace to activate your manifold powers; Pacify you environment and create a beautiful world"
In Ueshiba's language, "peace" refers to a certain hexagram which is build from the trigrams of earth/true yin over heaven/true yang. And it refers to a certain way of internal practice within the student that creates this.
His way of using the word peace should not be mixed up with our understanding.

But I think, Ueshiba's understanding of internal alchemy and of aiki more and more get's lost today ...
Old 12-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
OutsideTheBox
Canada

Quote:
Russell Bentley wrote: View Post
Tease
Old 12-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
When I read your statement about "a unifying film that links all Aikidoka ... based on the premise of non-violence and compassion toward an attacker", it was my first thought, that if your movie really aims to unify all aikidōka, it should be accepted that your premise is actually not shared by all aikidōka.
This was my thought also - I could not help but thinking of the old adage. Unify but on our terms.

Still - good luck with the movie.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
OutsideTheBox
Canada

As it stands right now, I feel a great division within Aikidoka. Whether because of lineage, style or philosophy. It is a film that centers around Aikido, not a specific style. We want people to know Aikido by name and chose to represent it through peace not violence as others have attempted in the past.

On another note, the theme of the film is larger than Aikido or any specific Aikidoka or even the film itself. It is about hope, choice, destiny and moving towards the light - THANK YOU, EVERYONE!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Good luck Adriano!

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day
Old 12-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
OutsideTheBox
Canada

Quote:
Chris Sawyer wrote: View Post
Good luck Adriano!
Thank you! That truly means a lot to all of our staff!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States

So far, from the images and article presented, it looks very Yoshinkan-centric.

We just had a seminar in which four different styles of Aikido, plus Systema, and a koryu sword school with Karate Shihan came together.

How do you see Aikido as a symbol of hope in a troubled world when you see a great division within Aikidoka?
Old 12-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #16
dps

Quote:
The film is based on the premise of non-violence and compassion toward an attacker which are core foundations within the art ....
Non-violence and compassion toward your attacker is a good way to get yourself killed or seriously injured.

The peace of Aikido is an inner peace of the individual that comes from learning the martial ability of Aikido.

Also pacify according to; Merriam-Webster dictionary, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pacify

a : to allay the anger or agitation of : soothe
b : appease, propitiate
a : to restore to a tranquil state : settle
b : to reduce to a submissive state : subdue

Tomiki style Aikido has competition.

Good luck on the movie.

dps

Last edited by dps : 12-18-2014 at 06:06 PM.