Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-11-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
danimal
Dojo: Kobayashi Dojo/Higashi Murayama
Unhappy

Hi guys,
I just started Aikido here in Tokyo and I have a much more mundane question about travelling with Aikido Uniforms....

How many times do you have to wash the darn things in order to get them to soften up?

Also, I have tried carrying my gi in a backpack, sportsbag and a even a briefase, but it always seems that no matter what I put it in. it ALWAYS seems to baloon up to fill the space.

Has anyone else ever encountered this? How do YOU carry your gi to practice? Can anyone out there recommend a special bag or something?

Thanks in advance for the help. I apologize that this post was not more on the subject of Aikido, but once I learn more I will jump into the conversation

Thanks
Dan Nakagawa
Kobayashi Dojo
Tokyo Japan
Old 06-11-2002, 06:58 PM   #2
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
As far as what kind of bag, Bujin Design, www.bujindesign.com , has a great gi bag. Although I just use a regular gym bag.

Have you tried rolling up your gi and tying your belt around it? I do that to save space since the belt keeps it from coming undone.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 06-11-2002, 08:42 PM   #3
guest1234
Helmet bags are the perfect size...

Some gis come soft already... some take forever to get comfy unless you use fabric softener, and if you use that, it destroys the gi... sigh

I like the thinner gis as opposed to the thicker Judo gi, especially for travelling (takes up way less space, dries faster).
Old 06-12-2002, 03:37 AM   #4
ianb
Dojo: Shinryukan (Aikikai)
Eek!

Fabric softener ruins gi?

How, exactly?

I'm down with the fact that tumble dryers ruin gi, now that my gi trousers are now capri pants, but the fabric softener threat is alarming news!

Please elaborate.

Kia ora
Ian
Old 06-12-2002, 04:05 AM   #5
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by ianb
Fabric softener ruins gi?
How, exactly?

I'm down with the fact that tumble dryers ruin gi, now that my gi trousers are now capri pants, but the fabric softener threat is alarming news!

Please elaborate.

Kia ora
Ian
Fabric softener reduces the durability of the fabric since it the threads. At least this is what I have been told. It also reduces the capability of the fabric to absorb liquid as it creates a thin film on the fabric. This wil result in the sweat being contained inside the gi instead of being absorbed...

Finally it is very difficult to gain respect among your fellow students if you smell like a 'Fresh spring meadow' or 'Summer peaches'

To Dan:
I use a regular size sportsbag. And each time I buy a gi it's lighther and thinner than the last one. Actually a heavy duty karate-gi is easy to transport and very nice to wear, especially on a hot day, but not all dojos allow that. The very heavy gi's tend to never loose their 'stiffness' unless they are of a very high quality (expencive...)

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 06-12-2002, 04:46 PM   #6
jeda
Because of all the horror stories I have heard about shrinking dojis, I was mine sans bleach and fabric softener and line dry it.

Doesn't make for the softest gi but I'd like it to last!
Old 07-12-2002, 06:53 AM   #7
Harms
Dojo: Lunds aikido
I think I have what was called "heavy duty karate-gi", it's at least quite thick. It's as stiff as new after each wash but it's nothing a couple of breakfalls can't fix.
I have tried to pound it but breakfalls is what works best for me

/Tobias Harms
Old 08-07-2002, 01:29 AM   #8
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
My dogi is pretty rock hard after washing too. It does depend on the manufacturer, my other gi is always soft (both are heavyweight Judo types). I prefer the stiff one as it fits better and stays together more when training. I also concure that it seems to soften pretty quickly after a few breakfalls. Before packing it up, I roll mine up and jump on it a couple of times then pack it up into a nylon Adidas back pack.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 08-07-2002, 04:13 AM   #9
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Quote:
Finally it is very difficult to gain respect among your fellow students if you smell like a 'Fresh spring meadow' or 'Summer peaches'
I like smelling of Mountain fresh thank you. LOL rather smell like mountain dew tho.

i jsut wash mine with standard washing powder it seems quite comfy anyhoo, its a lightweight gi i didnt know tumble drying them wasted them tho, dortunatly i've only done that once so far (G)

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-28-2002, 10:35 AM   #10
rosskl
Dojo: Genyokan
On a related note. Will ironing your dogi hurt it? I like to have a neat looking dogi and find that the pants are especially wrinkled when they come out of the washer.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:08 AM   #11
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Ross Lewandowski (rosskl) wrote:
On a related note. Will ironing your dogi hurt it? I like to have a neat looking dogi and find that the pants are especially wrinkled when they come out of the washer.
I've ironed my dogi pants quite a few times. Actually I allways did it before a grading before I got my hakama. Apart from looking your best it is a nice way to fend off the butterflies for a while. When I used to wear a karate gi I sometimes ironed the gi top as well, but I have never tried ironing the judo gi top that I use these days. I hardly think it would do any difference.

Anyway the pants shouldn't be harmed by ironing - but use lots of steam to get those pesky wrinkles out.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-31-2002, 09:32 AM   #12
alexroth
IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SELL A COPY OR TRADE OF STEVEN SEAGAL ' THE PATH BEYOND THOUGHT' VIDEO, PLEASE CONTACT ME. ORIGINAL OR COPY.

aj010b3648@blueyonder.co.uk
Old 08-31-2002, 01:28 PM   #13
suebailey
England
STOP SHOUTING

with out the heart there can be no understanding between body and mind and if u have never linked ur self to true emptiness you will never comprehend the full dimension of aikido.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:31 PM   #14
suebailey
England
wen posting u dont need to type in caps its classed as SHOUTING! ps this forum was for questions on dogi's not advertising.

cheers any way sue

with out the heart there can be no understanding between body and mind and if u have never linked ur self to true emptiness you will never comprehend the full dimension of aikido.