Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
sammywhip
United_States
Need help getting a Gi.

I'm about to start training, and want to buy a gi. Can I use a heavyweight karate gi? I have two of them, but it seems like they wouldn't last very long. I was going to get a Shureido karate gi, but now that I'm going to be doing aikido I don't know if that would last.

Any advice about this? And if a karate gi isn't good, what kind of gi should I get? Judo gi, etc.

Cheers,

Sammy
Old 08-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Need help getting a Gi.

Unless your Sensei objects (and I doubt he will), wear your karate gi for the time being and then buy what your dojo mates recommend. The choices are almost endless and you can spend a lot of money and not find what's right for you.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
David Maidment
United Nations

As a general rule, any gi is fine. You may wish to start off with a lighter karate gi (so your current one could be fine), but a lot of people like heavier Judo gis. I prefer to wear a gi that's made with Aikido in mind (shorter arms, medium-weight, padded knees); the best of all worlds.

Maybe see if they sell a recommended type at the dojo?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
sammywhip
United_States

Alright, awesome. I'll check at the dojo, and then be prepared to get that, or a judo gi. Thanks so much guys! It's awesome to see that people are nice to aikido noobs.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States

I would go with a white Judo gi... a guy at our dojo trains with a karate gi because it is lighter and breathes better, but he tears his gi everytime we do hip throws or shoulder grabs. So keep in mind that if you go with a lighter gi, you will have to get a few of them.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

It really depends on how much grabbing you will be doing. There are a couple people who wear karate gi's at our dojo, but the majority wear judo uniforms. If you were to get a heavy-weight karate gi, it would probably hold up. Just make sure it has lots of stitches to help keep things together. Good luck!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

All great suggestions so far. One thing to warn about (when wearing a karate gi for aikido) is that when uke grabs the uniform, it is much easier for them to grab skin under it as well. A judo gi (single or double weave) offers more material for your partner to grab. I had lots of bruised/pinched skin from wearing a karate gi to aikido class.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
sammywhip
United_States

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote: View Post
All great suggestions so far. One thing to warn about (when wearing a karate gi for aikido) is that when uke grabs the uniform, it is much easier for them to grab skin under it as well. A judo gi (single or double weave) offers more material for your partner to grab. I had lots of bruised/pinched skin from wearing a karate gi to aikido class.
Ooh. I may just have to invest in a judo gi. Pinches are lame.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Sammy I wear a Karate gi and it works just fine for me. At our level, in this dojo, you wont have to worry too much about someone grabbing you hard enough to damage a gi and the mat is great. Have not felt the need for extra padding on the knees yet and I have knee problems.

Wear what you have for now. You can always invest in the Judo gi later down the road.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
ninjaqutie

United_States

One thing that hasn't been mentioned.. haha... with the padding on the judo uniforms in the knee area.... it does no good if the pants shrink and the padding ends up above your knees when you go down in seiza! That is what happened to my pants anyway.

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
sammywhip
United_States
So I do have to get a new gi, what should I get?

So, my karate gi's will not work in aikido classes because they have a lot of patches on it... It turns out I do need to get an aikido gi or judo gi. They sell them at the school, but I'm rather weary of gi's which come directly from schools, because in my karate experience they were never great quality. Anyways, because of this I'm going to buy either an aikido gi or a judo gi. I don't know much about brands of either, coming from a karate background. I don't mind spending money on a gi if its really good, but under $120 would be best, and under $100 would be great. So if you guys could tell me about some brands, your experience with them and so on, I'd appreciate it. I do like a heavier weight gi, but with a softer feel. Even so, I know a gi will soften with time so starting off soft is not a huge deal. I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

Sammy
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Sammy,

We do not sell junk gis to unsuspecting members. Nor do we sell gis for a profit. What we do is order gis for our members (at a bit of a group discount) from Kiyota and Company in Baltimore. I have been buying and wearing Mr. Kiyota's gis for about 15 years now. Personally, I prefer judo gis, for the extra padding in the pants and for toughness when grabbed. However, either that or a karate style is fine, and you will see both in most aikido dojos.

You can get top flight aikido related training gear from BuJin Design (www.bujindesign.com). BuJin Design's products are excellent, but are not inexpensive.

Another good source is Jukado (http://www.jukadragon.com/). The sell a variety of weights (and prices) of karate gis as well as affordable judo gis.

Regards,
Garth
Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

You can also try E-Budo in Torrance, California. They have really nice heavyweight Aikido gi for about $80.00. Nice staff, easy to order on line and good service.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
sammywhip
United_States

Quote:
Garth Jones wrote: View Post
Sammy,

We do not sell junk gis to unsuspecting members. Nor do we sell gis for a profit. What we do is order gis for our members (at a bit of a group discount) from Kiyota and Company in Baltimore. I have been buying and wearing Mr. Kiyota's gis for about 15 years now. Personally, I prefer judo gis, for the extra padding in the pants and for toughness when grabbed. However, either that or a karate style is fine, and you will see both in most aikido dojos.

You can get top flight aikido related training gear from BuJin Design (www.bujindesign.com). BuJin Design's products are excellent, but are not inexpensive.

Another good source is Jukado (http://www.jukadragon.com/). The sell a variety of weights (and prices) of karate gis as well as affordable judo gis.

Regards,
Garth
Oh, ok, awesome. Well I'll buy mine from you then! I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, just at the karate schools I've trained in they always gave kind of junky gi's to people, so I've become very weary of that. Pavlov's Dog effect maybe!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
Voitokas

United_States

I really like my Kiyota judo-style gi, FWIW; inexpensive and durable (almost six years of moderate use and barely frayed)...

I am not an expert
Old 08-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #16
ninjaqutie

United_States

I have heard great things about Bujin. In fact, I'd love to get a gi and hakama from them. In the meantime though, I bought my gi from my dojo. Mine seems to be holding up well, but the collar is still stiff... yuck.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

First, there is nothing wrong with wearing a good quality karate gi. Many Aikido practioners wear them. If you do go the Judo gi route, try www.hatashitasports.com. Excellent reputation and service.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
Rob Watson
United_States

Toraki

knee reinforcement runs from thigh to toe and they come in 1/2 sizes too. For me 6 is too big and 5 is too small but 5 1/2 is just right! Get the premium white ones.

Last edited by Rob Watson : 08-25-2009 at 04:39 PM.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.