Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
Cynrod
United_States
Ideal thickness of the mats you're training on.

As times goes by practicing/training Aikido and made a lot of ukemis on 1", 1.5" to 2" mats or sometimes with no mats.

What are your individual feedbacks or experiences on how thick is the mats that you want to do your ukemis on?

TIA

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 08-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Ideal thickness of the mats you're training on.

It's not the depth, it's what they are made of.
I'd rather have a firmer fake tatami and be cautious about mat burn than thick sinky gym mats that offer no support.
Personal preference though? Give me a sprung gymnastics floor every time :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Will also depend on what kind of floor you are on. On a concrete slab (foundation) you will probably need 2".
We have 1 3/8" but it is on a wooden aerobics 'floating floor' and a second floor of the building - not bad at all.

The best was a gymnastics floor with foam blocks under 2 sheets of plywood and blue foam mat on top, sometimes you got mat burn, but the floor was very forgiving.....
Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
Cynrod
United_States

Dear Janet and Larry,

Thank you very much for the responses that I received from both of you.

I am thinking of getting the Dollamur rollflex and I am still deciding which thickness of mats that I am going to get. The 1.3/8", 1.5" or the 2" and it's going to be for my class with new students with no experiences in doing ukemi. I want them to be safe and be comfortable doing the ukemi with the proper mats. I know that the safest way doing ukemi is proper guidance and safe instruction. I started this class last month and it's only every Sunday morning from 10:00 am to 11:00 am and the mats that are provided to us are too soft and very squeezy for doing Aikido. This is only for the love of it doing it and there's no profit to make. The mats will be out of my pocket purchase as the place can't afford to provide for the proper mats. This place is just too nice of a location and for $25/hour class with 4 sessions/month no place here in Vegas can match or beat that. It's only through donation from students of $2.00 to $5.00 per class or how much they can afford to donate just to cover the $25/hour class room fee. If some students won't be able to afford such fees, then it will a game of PAPER, SCISSOR or ROCK .

Thank you all and best regards.

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 08-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

I use exclusively the 1 3/8" Series 400 Mancino Mats lad out on the concrete floor. Nothing underneath. Been working fine for use for 15+ years.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
Scott Harrington
United_States

In the Big Rock Candy Dojo
There's a mat that's soft and fine
Where the uke's always take the throw
And your waza always shine

Where the nikyo's seem so gentle nice
And the sensei has a smile
With never a teaching remark that's curt
And every pin worthwhile
The tatami's soft
Take the highest loft
In the Big Rock Candy Dojo

The bestest best dojo.

Scott Harrington
Old 08-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Cynrod
United_States

Hello Steve,

Thank you very on the in infos in regards to the Mancino mats. I checked their website and yes they are really well made.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for that poetry in motion . I really like it. It will make the ambience in the dojo in harmony.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Tim Mailloux

The only mats I would ever buy are Zebra Mats or Swain Mats, both are basically artificial tatami mats. They have a fairly firm surface that's very nice to walk on but gives just enough when you take a hard fall. I have gotten Zebra mats for two different dojos in the past. Each time they were used and purchased directly from Zebra. Zebra and Swain both provide mats for judo and grappling tournaments around the country and will often sell the mats after a tournament instead of paying the cost to ship them back to the warehouse.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

You might consider the mats you are looking at over the 'squishy' ones to see if the combination works. I suspect you could get away with the thinner mats over the 'to soft' ones. After they learn ukemi you could transfer them over to the new mats.....