Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2003, 01:49 AM   #1
Kung Fu Liane
Confused Weapons training for beginners

Hi,

if weapons are used as an extension of the human body, through which your energy is extended, surely weapns training is more difficult than barehand techniques?

In many styles; kung fu, karate, ju jitsu etc weapons training is left to more advanced students. Whereas in styles like Kali Escrima, and some aikido, weapons training is encouraged right from the start. i understand that some sword work in aikido may help to explain certain principles, but is it really suitable for beginners? or will it just distract from the importance of barehand techniques?

how common is early weapons training in aikido clubs?

Aikido: a martial art which allows you to defeat your enemy without hurting him, unless of course he doesn't know how to breakfall in which case he will shatter every bone in his body when he lands. Also known as Origami with people
Old 02-18-2003, 02:19 AM   #2
Ta Kung
My personal opinion is that weapons training is not for beginners. Where I practise, weapons traning starts after the first 6 months. Weapons training is a great tool for learning Aikido, but I don't think it's wise to add it too early.

/Patrik
Old 02-18-2003, 07:38 AM   #3
Mike
I have done weapons work from my first month of study. I find that many things I was having trounble with empty hand instantly made sence with a weapon. Then going back to empty hand there was a great improvment.

Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto
Old 02-18-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
Aikiscott
Dojo: Central Coast Aikikai
Australia
In our Dojo we practice weapons from day one. Our sensei firmly believes that the unarmed techniques go hand in hand with the weapons work and I have to say that I totally agree with him.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:30 PM   #5
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Ditto to what Scott and Mike said. I've been in weapons training since my first week in the Dojo. Granted, we don't work the weapons every day, but every minute of time with a Jo or Bokken has been of tremendous value to me.

In addition to being an extension of the body, the weapon has a "cool" factor that creates interest and also enables you to better see techniques like Shionage.

Do what your Sensei says to do, but I for one will never go without weapons training of some sort.

Old 02-18-2003, 05:19 PM   #6
Kevin Wilbanks
As with other aspects of training or practice, I think it depends upon the quality of the instruction and training partners. In traveling around, I have seen some weapons practice that seemed just like so much misconceived, inattentive stick-swinging. In this case, training weapons is wasting time that could be spent training productively. The peculiar thing about weapons is that one seems to be more dependent upon detailed conventions/traditions and elaborate teacher feedback than open hand training, in which there is plenty of room to experiment and rely on one's own judgement. Unless you and your training partners are willing to kill or maim one another, it's difficult to do much 'reality testing' with weapons. In any case, the purpose is not to prepare for real sword fights anyway, but to learn movement principles - the feedback is mostly by knowledgeable analysis/observation of the outward form.

Last edited by Kevin Wilbanks : 02-18-2003 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:41 PM   #7
Paul Klembeck
It depends.

With the Iwama weapons system, start from day one. It teachs good body language in a simpler setting than body arts.

Some of the other systems immediately plunge into complex patterns that leave even experienced students scratching their heads. I doubt these would do a new student much good.

Paul Klembeck
Old 02-18-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines
i heard that Aikido empty hand movements were derived from sword movements, and what better way to understand the movements better than through the use of a sword.

it really improved my movements a lot when i learned to move with weapons.

"Masakatsu Agatsu"