Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-20-2003, 09:37 PM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Disgust O Sensei on BS

~~Sometimes I wonder what O Sensei would think if he could read us here on Aikiweb; discussing every angle of Aikido and him, arguing our precious points, using this global community as a sounding board.

~~Would he think it a wonderful outreaching of his Aikido or yell at us all to cut the BS and just train! Any thoughts, or just another one of my BS topics?

~~Paula~~
Old 10-20-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Suzanne Cooper
Dojo: Retsushinkan Dojo/Alabama
I love your topics. They always generate a lot of interest!

I'd love to know what sorts of posts O Sensei would make--which threads would pique his interest and which one's he'd pan.

He'd give us the straight skinny on ki, for sure.

I got guts, yes I do. I do aikido--do YOU?
Old 10-21-2003, 01:34 AM   #3
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
well, at least "doka of the day" will be kept updated and new everyday.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:15 AM   #4
Victor Ditoro
Dojo: Retsushinkan Dojo
If the boards were around during the 30's and 40's, I would imagine they would consist of thrilling posts like "Sensei, are you going to Iwama this week?", "Yes I am."

I can't really imagine there being much discussion on technique or "what should I do against attack X". One of the original dojo regulations that O Sensei posted was, essentially, "Don't show these techniques to everyone, be careful who you teach to". Not to mention, his students have stated he was not one to explain much, if anything, verbally. There are probably some high-ranking practicioners alive today who would find most of what is discussed here inappropriate. A common response to many questions that are posed here is, "Ask your teacher." , or "Depends on your school.".

The thing that is nice about message boards is not that they can teach aikido, its that they provide a sense of a community of martial artists and aikido practicioners. The feeling of community is important. Its something that was always there for O Sensei, or any other great martial arts instructor. Its something that is there for some of the serious and/or high ranking practicioners today...but its something that is missing (beyond the dojo itself) for us average joe aikidoka.

People who already had a strong community around them would probably just use these boards for convenient communication of everyday matters.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:34 AM   #5
jxa127
I'm sure there was plenty of BS in O'Sensei's time -- a lot of it from him. At a seminar a few years ago, Kobayahsi and Toyoda shihans got told O'Sensei stories after dinner. These were more of the "what a lovable, cranky old man" type stories. They really showed him in a very human light.

More to the point, Toyoda and Kobayashi shihans talked a little about their days as young men and aikido students. Guess what: they fought amonst themselves, had doubts about the efficacy of aikido techniques, felt the need to prove their training, and complained about stuff just like we do.

We look at these old guys and see their wonderful technique, and we think they must have been all seriousness and purposefulness (if that's a word). In reality, they're human too.

One of my favorite stories of O'Sensei is told by Terry Dobson and relayed by Ellis Amdur in Dueling with O'Sensei. Apparently, Dobson was attending O'Sensei, and had to get up with him for midnight bathroom visits. On one such visit, O'Sensei and Dobson passed a young woman in the hallway, who flashed her breasts at the old man as she calmly walked on. O'Sensei apparently skipped down the hall the rest of the way to the bathroom after that with a big smile on his face.

I like to think of that old guy with prostate trouble being so happy about a little flash. That image seems so opposit to the mystic aikido master. :-D

So, BS away. I think we often take this stuff too seriously.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 10-21-2003, 08:41 AM   #6
paw
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder what O Sensei would think if he could read us here on Aikiweb; discussing every angle of Aikido and him, arguing our precious points, using this global community as a sounding board.
One of the reasons why I dislike and distrust appeals to rank or authority figures....
Quote:
Would he think it a wonderful outreaching of his Aikido or yell at us all to cut the BS and just train! Any thoughts, or just another one of my BS topics?
What is "his Aikido"?

You tell me.

Regards,

Paul
Old 10-21-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
~~Thanks, Drew, loved the story! In a human light is definately how I care to view anyone

~~Paula~~
Old 10-22-2003, 08:08 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States
Bruce Lee said that, "the secret to immortality is to live a life that is worth remembering."

I think O'Sensei would be please we are here, then he would tell us to get back to our training.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-23-2003, 10:03 AM   #9
ross_l
Dojo: Genyokan
I remember reading a quote from him once, it was something like "All talk about aikido is idle talk." Has anyone heard this before and remember if it's accurate? That being said, I'll shut up now
Old 10-23-2003, 05:47 PM   #10
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Lynn Seiser (SeiserL) wrote:
Bruce Lee said that, "the secret to immortality is to live a life that is worth remembering."
On the subject of immortality, I'm with Woody Allen.

Sean

x
Old 10-26-2003, 04:00 PM   #11
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
O Sensei would probably post something deep and mystical. Five or six people would [color="orange"]flame[/color][color="red"] him[/color] with others calling him a [color="green"]Troll[/color]!

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You