Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-26-2001, 09:23 PM   #1
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Ai symbol Aikido usage

I was just curious if any one out there has any good stories about how they have used aikido in a real life situation. I would be very interested in hereing them if you are willing to share.

Dan Hulley

Dan Hulley
Old 04-27-2001, 12:54 PM   #2
Nick
United_States
http://www.aikidofaq.com/stories/real_life.html

Interesting reading material...

Nick
Old 04-27-2001, 01:00 PM   #3
Sid
Hmmmm.
I haven't yet had a chance to use it(LUCKILY), but I found that in the few situations I've been in, when violence could have ensued, the calmness fostered by aikido training came in handy - in disarming the situation!

Sid
Old 04-27-2001, 01:06 PM   #4
CZR
One time there were 20 guys int this bar... *deep breath* And they all came at me at once...

Okay, only twelve....

No, I have never had an opportunity to use aikido in a physically combative situation, but the philosophies and methods I find helpful in dealing with a variety of mental conflicts that arise in daily life: stress, frustration, arguments, etc. Aikido as a way of life you could say...
Old 04-27-2001, 03:06 PM   #5
Brian
Ai symbol Re: Aikido usage

Have I ever used my aikido? Why of course, I've got brothers!

Also, a friend of mine who used to attend the aikido class I am still enrolled in likes to "keep me sharp." Every day at school when he spots me in the hallways, he'll pop out from behind someone and try to imagi-stab me with an imagi-knife(He is, however, incredibly short, so I don't see him until it's too late sometimes :P). No throws are performed, evasion only, however I am now much more aware of my surrounding than I used to be... *peers about suspiciously*

As for other reading, there are several threads on the forums at aikidojournal.com, and possibly e-budo as well, that were either of this same nature or resulted from accusations that aikido didn't work (and of course the aforementioned aikidofaq). You'll find all the material you could possibly want on these sites.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:50 AM   #6
Axiom
Dojo: TC Aikido Center
Talking I've fallen- and I can get up!

Actually, I've used my ukemi probably 20 times in the last week. You see, I play ultimate frisbee at lunch, and in diving for the frisbee, leaping over otehr people who dove, and generally getting knocked down, my ukemi is becoming pretty damn good at high speed. And I'm amazed- I've been out of aikido for months now, and ukemi is still instinctive (I'm actually doing ballet, which I recommend everyone should do, not just because its fun, but because it increases awareness of your center a thousand fold). Even ukemi I had a hard time with in the dojo, I've done almost perfectly in real life(ie, the sideways fall from kaiten-nage).

As for using the combative aspects of aikido, I've only mostly used the wrist and arm locks when play fighting with my brother on the trampoline(any quick and linear movement being impossible, these are the only techniques I can do on such a bouncy surface)They're very safe, compared to some others I've see, and neither of us has suffered any real injury from them. Though I probably shouldn't have taught him nikkyo...Ouch :-)...little bugger shouldn't be allowed to turn the tables on me.

Anyway, thats the extent of my "real world experience". The best way to go through life is to not get in serious fights. Its worked for me for about 17 years, and hopefully for the next 17 or so.

Alex "I wish I had enough money for aikido and ballet and I'm still taking donations" Magidow

_________
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
-- Gandhi
Old 04-29-2001, 08:36 PM   #7
Dajo251
United_States
Exclamation

I have a story that just happened to me about an hour ago. I was walking through this park with a three friend when we got lost so we picked a direction and found an exit. One problem this exit lead into South Providenc for those not from Rhode Island its a bad part of town. We kept walking until we decided we needed to call for a ride so we stoped at this corner and my friend "Janus" called for a ride from her mother. We were just standing there when these two guys on bikes came up to us and asked for money so we all had some change and gave it to them. On reached for my pocket knife(I had it cause instead of going home from work I went to my frends) my first instint was to grab him ad to kote-gaieshi(not sure if thats spelled right) than I thought about it there were two of them both mostlikly armed so I decided to let it go. After about another ten minuts the left with an eight doller knife and two dollars worth of change. The moral is it is not alway your best intrest to fight for somthing that is that material. I lost a few cents and a knife but if i grabed him who knows what may have happened. The other moral is dont get lost in the big parks.

Dan Hulley

Dan Hulley
Old 04-29-2001, 08:43 PM   #8
Dajo251
United_States
I should clareify just a bit, My training in aikido caused me to reevaluate the situation and that is what mad me not initiate conflict.

on a completly Axiom i play ultimate as well and do find that ukemi is incredibly usefull.
Dan

Dan Hulley
Old 05-11-2001, 09:14 PM   #9
Dajo251
United_States
i know this is about two months later but after re reading my post I left out the fact that they were both carrying guns.

Dan Hulley