Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Chris Covington

United_States
Kenjutsu Kyohan

Hello all,

I hope you don't mind me posting this in the general section it isn't aikido but it does have something to do with Ueshiba sensei's training. Kenshi247.net just posted a great translation of Kenjutsu Kyohan from 1909. Isaac Meyer did the grueling translation and he did a great job! Kenjutsu Kyohan is the army textbook on western style fencing, bayonet and mounted fencing. For those that don't know the Japanese army issued a kyugunto (western style saber) until 1934 when the more tachi like shingunto was introduced. The fencing style for the kyugunto is something of an odd mix of kendo and 3-weapon saber.

I thought it might be of interest since Ueshiba sensei likely studied something like this while he was in the army just a few years earlier. Currently the section on saber fencing is posted with the next two sections to be published soon. I'm sure the period jukenjutsu will be of interest to aikidoka. I also think it is interesting that Ueshiba sensei told Nakakura sensei to try using katate jodan for shiai. I wonder if he came up with that from his army saber training?

http://kenshi247.net/blog/2010/04/12...-1-guntojutsu/

Anyway, enjoy the translation. If anyone think this would be better in another forum please feel free to move it to non-aikido martial arts or some place.

Best regards,

Chris Covington
Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu
Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Pat Togher
United_States
Re: Kenjutsu Kyohan

very cool!

Domo!

Pat
Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Chris Covington

United_States
Re: Kenjutsu Kyohan

Hello all,

George just put up part two of Kenjutsu Kyohan. This part might be the most interesting part of the book to aikidoka since it deals with the jukenjutsu of the time of Ueshiba sensei. Ueshiba sensei was known to be a very strong jukenjutsuka and this is likely what he studied (or something very close to it).

http://kenshi247.net/blog/2010/04/19...-2-jukenjutsu/

Best regards,

Chris Covington
Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu