Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #51
Justin Gaar
Dojo: Aikido Academy Of Self Defense
United_States
Re: there is no room for a pass into shodan

IMHO, i believe that mitigating circumstances should be taken into account when dealing with dan test. It's a matter of taking the feelings of the student into account. To be worthy of testing for dan rank, one must put alot of effort and dedication into his/her training for a very long time. I think it's cruel to be denied what you've worked for so long to achieve (really it's not about the belt, but then again it doesn't hurt to have a sense of accomplishment) simply because of an injury or a misunderstand of the material. None of us are perfect and even my sensei doesn't have a problem speaking of his own flaws before and after becoming yudansha. If one is injured one should be given another chance. It's as simple as that. If one does not understand the technique due to disorders like Non-verbal Learning Disorder (NLD) Which make it difficult to comprehend the material in verbal form then that should be accounted for. The sensei should be made aware of these disabilities from the beginning however.

If you arrest a mime, do you have tell him he has the right to remain silent?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:14 AM   #52
Leon Aman

Philippines

Quote:
Justin MacEachern wrote:
I just wanted your guys opinions, so here is my question;
I you were a 1st kyu and had gone for a black belt test but failed, (because of an injury you were forced to quit even though you passed the physical) then later the next year hurt your self Before your retesting, should the instructor be able to give that a person a bi
just becase we all know he can do technique.
Hi Justin I understand your feeling. IMHO have patience, do not force yourself to do just what like you are doing before while your mental and your physical faculties doesn't fuse to collaborate. Time will come for your back and your confidence to fully recover. We only have one body that we should take care of while we are alive. What profit will you gain if you compel to do like the way you did before if your own body will suffer. There are many things you can possibly master while you can't yet normally do your ukemi perfectly, you can practice well your nagemi or meditation skill. For now just do what you think you can only do with caution, to be cautious to yourself doesn't mean to be thwarted to reach your goal. Matured thinker thinks everything is temporary the only permanent is change.

But If you think your back is backed into shape, you can try what you did before, gradually. It is normal to be worried sometimes especially if your weakness is involved, but I don't think it is helpful more than a self annihilation. So instead, just relax, do something you can only do. It is normally emphasized in aikido that one has to be always relaxed in mind and body as like as you normally breath.

Rank or belt . ( also in relation to your previous thread re there is no room) is just something furbishing our identity and can never be as surpassing as our body. So for now just be patient, see and observe yourself.

Good luck

Leon
Old 02-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #53
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands

thanks leon
Old 02-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #54
Leon Aman

Philippines

Quote:
Justin MacEachern wrote:
thanks leon
Justin my apologies for posting to a wrong thread that is supposed to be for your other thread (Ukemi's a little ruff).
Old 02-17-2006, 02:36 AM   #55
David Yap
Malaysia

Hi all,

Interesting posts. FWIW, it is only Shodan. Anyone passionate about about his/her MA should strive to improve his/her skill. I have seen some sub-standard tests at higher levels. Nidans who would not have any fingers left on their hands if the tanto were real blades and headless sandans walking about if real katana were used instead of bokken.

Best training

David Y
Old 03-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #56
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Quote:
David Yap wrote:
Nidans who would not have any fingers left on their hands if the tanto were real blades and headless sandans walking about if real katana were used instead of bokken.
Back in my day, we had to do it with live blades, uphill, both ways, in the snow!

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!