Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-16-2004, 02:23 AM   #1
WW-squared
beginners class at Aikikai Honbu

Hi all.
I'm currently living in Japan, on the opposite side of Tokyo . and I've just started aikido classes 3 three months ago. I was thinking of going to the Aikikai honbu dojo next year for some training. Their site specifies a beginners level and a regular level. What is the difference between the two?
Also, has anyone trained in Osaka, and if so, any recommendations on Dojos, down there?

Thanks.
Wil
Old 09-16-2004, 02:45 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: beginners class at Aikikai Honbu

Quote:
Wilfred Wong wrote:
Also, has anyone trained in Osaka, and if so, any recommendations on Dojos, down there?
For Osaka please check this Recent thread.

Is there a reason for the Osaka question? Are you moving there or just for a visit?

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 09-16-2004, 02:51 AM   #3
WW-squared

Hi Peter, Thanks for the link. Well, after my current contract isup, I'm going to decide whether to live in Osaka or Tokyo for a year to train.
Why Osaka? I love the city. That's the simple answer.
Thanks.
Wil
Old 09-16-2004, 03:37 AM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

I love the city also - I train in Osaka all day once a week. Just not Aikikai. If you want to move to the wild side follow the links below my name. That dojo is open seven days a week for multiple lessons. I don't know that many other groups that offer that amount but I do have a few names (well actually one in particular) that might be a good bet. You can PM me for that information.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 09-18-2004, 03:33 AM   #5
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Wilfred,

The beginner`s class at the Aikikai Honbu is in the smaller dojo on the 2nd. floor. Most of the students are not yudansha, which is quite different from regular classes. The teachers actually go around and teach, correcting students` movements, whereas in regular classes, this does not happen much. The number of students is also less. In addition, Honbu has what they call Aikido school which meets two nights a week and the teachers are more actively helping students in these classes. Regular classes at Honbu are generally not real classes, they are more like training sessions. The various shihan cannot control who can attend, and they respond in various ways. Some will completely ignore everybody, while some only help their personal students. Others will help and correct everybody, while others will help those they feel are making a real effort to learn their particular style and ignore those who don`t.

Hope this helped.
Charles Hill