Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #26
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan
Re: Not applying techniques to new students?

Quote:
Jessica Tackett wrote: View Post
I put that wrong. As beginners we are not forced to take herd falls. But if we are being cocky, we have to take more falls than usual.
A herd fall sounds scary. How big is your herd?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #27
Janet Rosen

Smile Re: Not applying techniques to new students?

Quote:
Willi Brix wrote: View Post
A herd fall sounds scary. How big is your herd?
Oh no not another cow-tipping dojo!!!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
nuxie

Dojo: Aikido of Evansville
United_States
Re: Not applying techniques to new students?

Quotes:
"I think most people carry a lot of muscular tension that they are not aware of; I think that the difficult task of trying to learn Aikido makes them more anxious/tense; I think that this makes them work harder and faster despite good intentions. It takes a while to internalize the concept of staying relaxed while being faced with a strike - even a slow strike from a benevolent partner."

I have heard the words... relax your shoulders and settle in more times than I can count hehe. It truly is difficult to relax when you have a bokan headed for your forehead. Fore me learning to relax and let myself fall was a very very difficult thing. I think as a newbie I do have alot of muscular tension. I try to hard to loosen up and relax that I believe I make it worse. I just try to take a deep breath and not over-think what I am trying to do. Sometimes I overt-hink things way too much and that causes me to tense up and speed up without realizing it. My sempei has asked me to break a movement down into points and that really seems to help me.

I didn't take ukemi the first couple weeks I was there, It was more of a mental thing than anything,. We practiced ukemi's during one class though and it made me more comfortable with the idea of it.
Also when I do kinda go the wrong way he stops right then in their in mid move and corrects me and explains why and how to correct myself. then he gently demonstrates why. I think I am getting better about not trying to muscle my way and speed up.