Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
why Dan should post videos

Here is an entire thread dedicated to the tired theme of why Dan Harden should post videos of himself. Please by all means post all of your new insights and strengthened arguments as to why he should and refuses to do so right here and not in every other thread he is in.

Rob
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
rob_liberti
United_States
Re: why Dan should post videos

I believe I have become Dan's secretary....

Coffee Mr Harden?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
MM
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
This is the Aikiweb... and yes Dan you are presenting a paper...There are some of us who will never get to experience what you have to offer personally, or through some of your students. We can only go by what you present here. Given the number of modern media tools available I just don't understand your "reasons" considering the amount of energy you put into advocating your methods and how simple you state this practice is to learn. Let's just take a look at your "peers"

Mike Sigman-Online with vids
Ark- Online with vids
Obata Sensei-Online with vids
Kondo Shihan-Online with vids
Mark Murray!!! Online with vids
Well, to be fair, Mike hasn't really posted vids in quite awhile. Most of what you find are his early training vids.

Ark does post some stuff, but Rob probably posts more.

And me? Egads! I suck big time. I shouldn't be on that list. Heck, I think Chris Moses' vid looked a lot better than mine. You should make a list of people-who-don't-have-anything-but-are-training and then I'd make that list.

Quote:
Like I said you spend allot of time and energy advocating "it" here... but respectfully... You marginalize those out there who don't have any "first hand experience" and may never experiance it.
I think that in the next year to two years, some of us will be out and about. Things are changing and I had expected it to be in the next 5 years, but it might be sooner than that.

It's already been proven that someone who isn't training in this stuff directly can still do the exercises and get better -- provided that they do work with someone to get corrections every so often (anywhere from every 3 to 6 months) and that they put the work into it.

For those who haven't had the chance to train with Mike, Ark, or Dan, don't lose hope. I think there will be opportunities to get into this type of training in one form or another.

Quote:
If you found another way to discuss your concerns without denigrating Yudansha who do not practice the way you do, and backed it up with helpful 'presentations" (something to his credit Mark Murray has tried to do)
Erg, ack, and Please, William, don't use me as a lever. I respect Dan's choice on the no-vid thing. But if you want to try to change his mind, please don't use me in the attempt. I don't mind putting myself out there on vid for other aikido people to take a look at and I'll probably do some more, but not if I feel like it'll be used to try to get Dan to post vids.

Dan's a smart guy (most of the time ). If you give him some solid, good reasons, at the very least, he'll think about it. You never know, he might change his mind.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Well, to be fair, Mike hasn't really posted vids in quite awhile. Most of what you find are his early training vids.

Ark does post some stuff, but Rob probably posts more.

And me? Egads! I suck big time. I shouldn't be on that list. Heck, I think Chris Moses' vid looked a lot better than mine. You should make a list of people-who-don't-have-anything-but-are-training and then I'd make that list.

I think that in the next year to two years, some of us will be out and about. Things are changing and I had expected it to be in the next 5 years, but it might be sooner than that.

It's already been proven that someone who isn't training in this stuff directly can still do the exercises and get better -- provided that they do work with someone to get corrections every so often (anywhere from every 3 to 6 months) and that they put the work into it.

For those who haven't had the chance to train with Mike, Ark, or Dan, don't lose hope. I think there will be opportunities to get into this type of training in one form or another.

Erg, ack, and Please, William, don't use me as a lever. I respect Dan's choice on the no-vid thing. But if you want to try to change his mind, please don't use me in the attempt. I don't mind putting myself out there on vid for other aikido people to take a look at and I'll probably do some more, but not if I feel like it'll be used to try to get Dan to post vids.

Dan's a smart guy (most of the time ). If you give him some solid, good reasons, at the very least, he'll think about it. You never know, he might change his mind.
Please reread my original post. I think you took some of it out of context I did not say you were great just that in order to better describe your experience you actually took the time to share it...Feeling Used to get at Dan....LOL Man I can't actually believe you said that. ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! A Web Machiavellian I am not. And (two) I gave him solid good reasons as have others ad infinitum.

And Rob I make a sincere request and you call it "tired"?

Thanks Buddy. I am surprised that if you're tired of the question then it follows perhaps that you agree to the following tired old premises regarding Dan's Training

A. Why do people keep asking for more descriptive information over and over and over again...

B. Why do any posts regarding the subject quickly turn into a referendum on the "effectiveness" of modern Aikido visa vis Grappling... IMA... MMA...Nuclear Weapons...The Street...Boxing...The Joker...Ninjas...Vikings...Pirates....Really Mean Big Guys with super human strength...BJJ... Light Sabers....

C. Why over the years should people have to read the same old arguments from the same old people about what is "wrong" with Aikido and how to fix it.

You see Rob "wrong" is a point of view expressed by Dan, You and others Ad infinitum...

Until you can figure out a way to share what you know without knocking what others don't Then be prepared to continually be asked the same question over and over again by those who do not have the luxury to hang out with Dan. Heck at least Ark and Mike and others travel around to share "it" some of them even go to different countries. Koji Yoshida (My Sensei) has a website and travels around the world 10 months out of the year to share what he knows of our Aikido. I am not saying Dan has to do that...What I am saying it's getting to be a pretty thin excuse to hang out in your barn and expect the world to come to you.

William Hazen
Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
MM
United_States

Quote:
Please reread my original post. I think you took some of it out of context I did not say you were great just that in order to better describe your experience you actually took the time to share it...
Oh, so now I'm not great? Pretty soon you'll say I'm downright horrible.

Seriously, I got the gist of your argument there. I just didn't like seeing my name up there with the others.

Quote:
Until you can figure out a way to share what you know without knocking what others don't Then be prepared to continually be asked the same question over and over again by those who do not have the luxury to hang out with Dan. Heck at least Ark and Mike and others travel around to share "it" some of them even go to different countries. Koji Yoshida (My Sensei) has a website and travels around the world 10 months out of the year to share what he knows of our Aikido. I am not saying Dan has to do that...What I am saying it's getting to be a pretty thin excuse to hang out in your barn and expect the world to come to you.

William Hazen
As I noted, William, I do think things will change in the next couple of years. I know I travel around from work -- in fact, I should be in San Diego around the first week of November. I probably won't have a vehicle, so my options of going to meet people will be slim. But if people want to meet me, I'm all up for it.

Mark
Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
gdandscompserv

United_States

I would love to see Dan on video simply because I think he is doing what Osensei was doing as far as power generation. However, I really don't think it would be very helpful to me in learning that kind of power generation. His post's here on aikiweb and elsewhere have me convinced that he has the 'secret' of aiki.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

maybe Dan isn't photogenic so he doesn't want to post any video. for example, I looked fat on camera so I don't own one much less have a video camera. or maybe Dan is low tech (since many reference on barnyard activities) like me who wouldn't know how to operate a video camera and couldn't tell the different between a mp3 or avi, but we sure can tell the different between an AK-47 and AR-15.

videos would be great, but video with written explanation, like rob john, would be even better. sometimes, I only need a hint or two to work things out.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

videos I think are of very limited value as most of this is based on senory input or feel. Even watching Ark and Mike at the seminars what not all that useful. It requried them to come around and adjust you or have you feel it in them until you captured it in feel. then you had to do it over and over again until you kinda got the jest of it.

Then you go home with Video and attempt to replicate it. Get confused, make some progress, but like Mark said you need to get adjusted every 3 to 6 months as you will lose some of it and need to be adjusted again, and again.

It is a process I believe that requres feel and direct feedback.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Oops sorry Rob, just realized that the purpose of the thread is to convince Dan to post videos...not discourage him. I appologize has this is not a part of the topic.

I would like to see some video footage of Dan to be honest. Again, I stand by what I said above. However, I do believe it would be helpful to at least watch his body language and get to know him a little better through watching him move. There is much I think that we could tell in the non-verbal communication and watching him do things that would lead to a better understaanding.

Please post something Dan.

Just caution everyone that you won't see much that can be learned from watching the video, but would be helpful for other things if you know what you are looking for.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

I'd like to put a face to the name. Trying to steal techniques will be fruitless and critizising his performance pointless so I'm not interested in these aspects.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
Buck
United_States

I had no idea nor do I understand why anyone who says they have the missing piece or holy grail to make all Aikidoka better, and is going to teach it to all Aikidoka teachers be covert about it. It doesn't make sense that he isn't willing to validate his claims and creditability.

If people don't show the world what they got, we automatically discredit them. That is the way it goes. You have to have a business sense about you, otherwise sucker constantly. Martial arts isn't the stock market. In Martial arts and sports, you have to see what some one does, it is the cardinal rule. That is why there are tournaments and demos. You work out side of that and your creditability ends up in the toilet. People tested O'Sensei all the time what he did. If I am right O'Sensei was advertising anything like Dan is. He didn't have to, he proved to everyone on the mat. All great martial arts did and do. That is just the way it is. There is no virtual in martial art.

Also words are limiting. A picture is worth a thousand words. I am curious. Just hearing about it isn't the same as seeing what is happening.

I didn't know this was such a big deal but the simple answer is for him to gain some public credibility to what he says because he is broadcasting it to the world. It is to his benefit to do it.

Last edited by Buck : 09-02-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
It doesn't make sense that he isn't willing to validate his claims and creditability.
I think he's validated his claims by directly interacting with enough people that I'm already pretty convinced of his relative ability.

Quote:
If people don't show the world what they got, we automatically discredit them. That is the way it goes. You have to have a business sense about you, otherwise sucker constantly.
Personally, I'm not a fan of cynicism. If I were in Dan's shoe's I might not post a video purely for the cynics. Heck, he might just be camera shy and I'd say that's reason not to post a video. As much as I'd love to watch how he moves to see what I could see, I don't blame him for not wanting to put himself on display just to satisfy Business Sense, let alone anyone but himself. If he doesn't feel compelled to do it, so be it. It sounds like he shares what he knows about as much as he directly can. That's pretty right on with me.
That said:
Dan please consider making a video demonstrating some of your exercises and drills. For sale, for free (I prefer the latter ), I'd love the chance to at least give some of them a try. Yes, feedback in real-time is crucial to serious study, but I think a good many people would stand to benefit from learning even the most basic exercises you find to be so crucial to learning aiki, let alone a wider display of your methodology. I've long learned a lot by watching people closely. Maybe it's beyond my ability to understand the depth of what you'd be showing, but I'd be willing to bet I pick up something useful.
At any rate, take care all.
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
Buck
United_States

This isn't the stockmarket and inside trading is a crime. I don't buy anything because just because someone says its the best. You don't buy a house or a car, etc. blindly because someone says too. Just because a bunch of carsales men tell you about a the car and how well made it is without seeing it, would you buy it. Same with a house.

If a buch of people tell you, hey I know this guy he is in the martial arts and his hands are deadly they are register with the police, and he can knock before you can blink. What are you going to think, he is that good. Probably not if you have been in the martial arts for a while.

It seems very strange that I sense there is this defensiveness to having Dan simply showing what he can do. It is really odd. That is a universal big red flag. It is like all these guys coming to Dan's defense are saying you must believe it exists because others have said so. weird.

If he isn't going to show what he can do how do I know he can do it. I want to see for myself, what is wrong with that! That is normal, but what isn't normal is expecting people to give it validation because someone says so. Why the mystery, why the street cup and ball game, or three card monty game? Why all the drama?

And there shouldn't be an issue at all. I don't know if it is real or not! I asked to see what the man has, and then I get you just have to accept it because we say so and so does he. No. I don't.

I just wanted to see what the guy had because he said he had it. It being something that would make all of us Aikidokas, grappler butt-kickers. He said he was equal to O'Sensei. Naturally, I wanted to see what us Aikidoka are missing. It like saying, "OK Mr. Door to Door Salesmen you sold me, now let's see this great product your selling.". And he says. "no you just have to believe it is a great product, and the other guys around him are saying its true, we heard it too. Well, until I see something, I can't give the man any validation or credibility to what he is selling. That is normal human nature, and being smart, educated etc. Otherwise, you've a canidate for Bubba's Sucker Club.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #14
rob_liberti
United_States

William,

I honestly understand your point. I've read that sincere point enough times that I got TIRED of reading it. I'm not taking it back.

However, I also appreciated your position and since I can't make Dan to put himself on a video, and I'm not good enough to make one myself worth a damn - I offered to come visit you the moment I had anything worth sharing. It won't be AS GOOD as seeing Dan but feeling what I'll share in person will give you as much of the experience you would like to have that I can possibly offer myself.

So yes, I'm your friend and being friendly. And your friends can get tired of the same old arguments. We now even have a wonderful place dedicated to discussing this particular point so it doesn't creep up in EVERY OTHER thread.

Rob
Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Being an information glutton I'd love to see videos. I buy good videos from different arts, I buy books, etc. Now I'm the first person who'll say you can't learn an art from a book but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading them. And yes, I think I learn *something* but I'm also under no illusions as to really understanding anything. I'm just a curious soul.

That said I can fully understand not posting videos. I don't like seeing videos of my own classes although I'm pretty sure nobody would be interested anyway since I'm nothin' special. And I know my sensei would be irate if I ever video taped and posted something without permission.

Anyway to me it is much like the work I do in sword restoration. I get e-mails every week from people who want me to teach them "how to polish" over the internet. Or by phone. Or by video. The reality, however, is that such a thing is impossible. And no matter what I recorded there would always be things missing and lost. It is an interactive thing, a back and forth of questions and answer coupled with direct experience. How it feels on the stones, the sound it makes, how the stone is shaped, the blade, and on and on and on.

So with all the requests I get from people who want to learn the grand total of people who have actually come to visit and watch while I work is... 3. The total who stayed longer than 1 hour? 1. The total who came more than once? 0. Sounds like Dan is doing better than me since Rob is apparently going back...

I don't comment much in these threads because quite frankly I've not gone to train with any of these guys. I was hoping to find time to head up to a Pacific NW deal if Chris Moses gets Ark out again as I have some family up there that would allow me to work in a visit with them as part of the justification of the expense. But the reality is that if I was really and truly interested in learning these things I'd make the time (and I'm hoping I can, but the proof is in the pudding, neh?) So till then... As my dad used to say, either poop or get off the pot. And quit hassling about videos and the like. Either go visit these guys and find out what they're about or don't go. If you go you'll have a basis upon which to comment further. If not you guys are just arguing over things you can't possibly see eye to eye on because you haven't worked together.

For my part I've seen Toby Threadgill at demos. Extraordinarily impressive to my eyes. And some amazing things being done that truly strained my understanding of Aiki. I loved it. I can comment on that. I'd love to devote myself to that sort of thing, but we all make choices on what we can do and how much time we have to devote to these sorts of things. A daughter in second grade and hence not enough money (meaning time to devote) are my reasons. And Toby doesn't take on casual students nor would I even presume to ask knowing that he doesn't. I know better.

Anyway... I know the discussion will just flare up again... I just had to say that I just don't get it all. Either get out there and train with the guy or don't. Maybe Dan is totally full of himself or maybe Dan has discovered the hidden treasure of Aikido. Of maybe he's somewhere in between -- smart money is there of course. But until you get there hands on discussion after *so many discussions* already seems rather silly.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled stuff... Had to get that off my chest...

Old 09-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
DH
United_States

I've fully addressed the reasons why I won't do videos. All that is left to discuss is to challenge my personal integrity, motivations and stated goals.
That speaks for itself.
From the mid 90's to today I haven't changed my comments or views. As my understanding deepened my convictions did as well. Its been quite an interesting 18 yrs since I started down this aiki road. To address some of Keiths comments about possibly being full of myself. I think that is a hard case to make since I continually point to others-and those from cross cultures arts-like Mike, Ark, the ICMA, and some DR teachers etc.
I am no "fan" of any one person, including myself, as it is too narrow a focus. I am a fan and researcher of the method...and not the man
The only time the man as a singular entity comes to the fore is in the question of whether or not he can teach what he knows.
To address that question. I will once again point to some strong statements about Aikido™ that I have indeed made, or that others have made that I have supported. What was the outcome?
Teachers of aikido from 3rd Dan to 6th dan have tested both my skill, and my knowledge, and my ability to teach it others..and more importantly to them.
To a man, they...now all agree with me.

Nothing will end the controversy as it is a defining one. The open discussion and direct displays of these skills by men with the ability to demonstrate them are defining aikido as it is practiced today. It is unfortunate that it is divisive, but I believe that is unavoidable because it is so defining.
I have had some serious discussions with board moderators to find a way to discuss what is most possibly the most important shift that is going to occur in modern budo. Board moderators are concerned for several reasons. it is turning into a have and have nots, which is divisive, and since it is reaching a 100% conversion rate among those who continue to research it, it is ever increasing in its divisiveness. the only thing to do is try to be as understanding as possible and polite as possible while making some very direct statements that do not sit well with budo people from all walks, but prove to be, as it turns out, completely supportable in person.

To that end, those of us taking about it do what we can, when we can. Mike and Ark do seminars once or twice a year in remote locations. Ark with several at his location. I do maybe 6 a year but only at my location. I am thinking of expanding that and trying to coordinate something within my business and family obligations and my own training in another art.
Things are going to change-well they already are, as some serious teachers in Aikido, are now embracing training aiki for the first time in their careers. Aikido, is going to change for the better-in the opinion of your teachers with decades of experience. Three of your own 6th dans have considered it life changing and a defning moment in their own careers. Add to them hundreds of students both here and in Europe that will never go back to the way they trained aiki...ever.
I consider that very good news for all of us. So, while some consider it devisive and negative, I can only respond that change is sometimes difficult and painful, but often beneficial and in the end affirming. nd in this case, it is making friends, and benefitting many as it is occuring.
I'm looking forward to the future, but it wil never include Video. I see no compelling or constructive reason to do so since people struggle with their understanding with hours of hands-on personal instruction. I remain unmoved.

Last edited by DH : 09-03-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
gdandscompserv

United_States

thread closed.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #18
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
If he isn't going to show what he can do how do I know he can do it. I want to see for myself, what is wrong with that! That is normal, but what isn't normal is expecting people to give it validation because someone says so. Why the mystery, why the street cup and ball game, or three card monty game? Why all the drama?
<SNIP>
Err...everyone's pretty much said you just have to feel it.
No one's saying you gotta buy it just cuz they said so.

Trust me, there isn't any denying this stuff once someone's tossed you on your ass like a baby doll.

"BUT I gotta flllyyy all the way out there ...annd its so farrrr....and gas taxation is killing meeee"

then I guess you really aren't interested in the skills all that badly

FWIW, Dan doesn't or didn't charge anything from what I understand. (If I didnt have access to the skills I would've been there in a heart beat! No charge... personal instruction in the how's why's etc?? that's a no brainer)
And considering the rarity of these skills, much less anyone that can actually teach it, no one has any excuse for not going to see one of these people if they really want the skills.

I'd quote the "Clear power" book again, but I think the rod's splintered by now.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #19
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
William,

I honestly understand your point. I've read that sincere point enough times that I got TIRED of reading it. I'm not taking it back.

However, I also appreciated your position and since I can't make Dan to put himself on a video, and I'm not good enough to make one myself worth a damn - I offered to come visit you the moment I had anything worth sharing. It won't be AS GOOD as seeing Dan but feeling what I'll share in person will give you as much of the experience you would like to have that I can possibly offer myself.

So yes, I'm your friend and being friendly. And your friends can get tired of the same old arguments. We now even have a wonderful place dedicated to discussing this particular point so it doesn't creep up in EVERY OTHER thread.

Rob
No worries Rob. I have already stated why Dan should document what he does in some fashion and the fact that you agree that these same arguments occur over and over again validates my reason for asking Dan to "show us(the readers) the money".

Sadly considering Dan's deliberate silence and his propensity to make provocative statements without anyone being able to reference his practice I am afraid these "no point of reference" pointless debates may continue.

Do not interpret this as some kind of challenge Dan and don't get stuck on videos... It's just a very simple request for documentation.

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 09-03-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #20
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Err...everyone's pretty much said you just have to feel it.
No one's saying you gotta buy it just cuz they said so.

Trust me, there isn't any denying this stuff once someone's tossed you on your ass like a baby doll.

"BUT I gotta flllyyy all the way out there ...annd its so farrrr....and gas taxation is killing meeee"

then I guess you really aren't interested in the skills all that badly

FWIW, Dan doesn't or didn't charge anything from what I understand. (If I didnt have access to the skills I would've been there in a heart beat! No charge... personal instruction in the how's why's etc?? that's a no brainer)
And considering the rarity of these skills, much less anyone that can actually teach it, no one has any excuse for not going to see one of these people if they really want the skills.

I'd quote the "Clear power" book again, but I think the rod's splintered by now.
And so the jerk chimes in...I have felt this power before I very much appreciate what Dan does and you're completely missing the point. But considering the very helpful context of most of your posts I am not surprised.

William Hazen
Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
MM
United_States

Quote:
I have felt this power before

William Hazen
Changing the subject, I'm curious who had this power that you felt? Not that I've been everywhere and done everything, but I don't know many that stack up to that level. Course, I'm not all that great with the Chinese martial artists either. But, just curious who it was if it's in the aikido world.

Mark
Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
DH
United_States

William
Is there any benefit in insulting people personally? I think we need to be done with that. I aplogize on the rare occasions I get personal. Please don't sully a thread. It's bad enough my name is on it already.

BTW, I think Rob J. made some good points, in that most budo people somehow...magically...manage to arrive at seminars they are truly interested in.
Plain fairs from coast to coast I just reviewed are around $380.00. Motels $50
There are several seminars a year offered with men with this power, who openly and activey teach it.
Since we are the ones arranging, coordinating, and giving our time to not only both back-up what we write, but offer support to those coming to train
The credibility issue doesn't seem to be ours.

William,
Where and with whom have you felt this power?

Last edited by DH : 09-03-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #23
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I've fully addressed the reasons why I won't do videos. All that is left to discuss is to challenge my personal integrity, motivations and stated goals.
That speaks for itself.
From the mid 90's to today I haven't changed my comments or views. As my understanding deepened my convictions did as well. Its been quite an interesting 18 yrs since I started down this aiki road. To address some of Keiths comments about possibly being full of myself. I think that is a hard case to make since I continually point to others-and those from cross cultures arts-like Mike, Ark, the ICMA, and some DR teachers etc.
I am no "fan" of any one person, including myself, as it is too narrow a focus. I am a fan and researcher of the method...and not the man
The only time the man as a singular entity comes to the fore is in the question of whether or not he can teach what he knows.
To address that question. I will once again point to some strong statements about Aikido™ that I have indeed made, or that others have made that I have supported. What was the outcome?
Teachers of aikido from 3rd Dan to 6th dan have tested both my skill, and my knowledge, and my ability to teach it others..and more importantly to them.
To a man, they...now all agree with me.
Please provide references.

Quote:
Nothing will end the controversy as it is a defining one. The open discussion and direct displays of these skills by men with the ability to demonstrate them are defining aikido as it is practiced today. It is unfortunate that it is divisive, but I believe that is unavoidable because it is so defining.
Sorry Dan but I don't agree with the divisive meme. Again it is a simple request to document and define what you are doing. I personally have no difficulty taking our Aikido "to the next level".

Quote:
I have had some serious discussions with board moderators to find a way to discuss what is most possibly the most important shift that is going to occur in modern budo. Board moderators are concerned for several reasons. it is turning into a have and have nots, which is divisive, and since it is reaching a 100% conversion rate among those who continue to research it, it is ever increasing in its divisiveness. the only thing to do is try to be as understanding as possible and polite as possible while making some very direct statements that do not sit well with budo people from all walks, but prove to be, as it turns out, completely supportable in person.
Again given this statement every pioneer or revolutionary has at one time or another put it all down on paper or otherwise fully documented the changes he wishes to make. It is only divisive in my opinion because of a lack of information.

Quote:
To that end, those of us taking about it do what we can, when we can. Mike and Ark do seminars once or twice a year in remote locations. Ark with several at his location. I do maybe 6 a year but only at my location. I am thinking of expanding that and trying to coordinate something within my business and family obligations and my own training in another art.
That is good news and one can understand why you can only do so much hence again why not share it with as many as you can?

Quote:
[Things are going to change-well they already are, as some serious teachers in Aikido, are now embracing training aiki for the first time in their careers. Aikido, is going to change for the better-in the opinion of your teachers with decades of experience. Three of your own 6th dans have considered it life changing and a defning moment in their own careers. Add to them hundreds of students both here and in Europe that will never go back to the way they trained aiki...ever.
Again Dan....Documentation. You mention "3 of your own 6th Dans?" Who??? I know every Nishio Affiliated 6th Dan in the United States... What branch of Aikido do these 6th Dans practice??? "Hundreds of students"??? Where?? Are there any affiliated Dojos? Do you have plans to handle the tremendous growth you see as your Aiki training revolutionizes Aikido and you get thousands of students...Do you have a Syllabus...Exam standards or grades... Teaching certifications...

Quote:
I consider that very good news for all of us. So, while some consider it devisive and negative, I can only respond that change is sometimes difficult and painful, but often beneficial and in the end affirming. nd in this case, it is making friends, and benefitting many as it is occuring.
I'm looking forward to the future, but it wil never include Video. I see no compelling or constructive reason to do so since people struggle with their understanding with hours of hands-on personal instruction. I remain unmoved.
I completely agree and very much look forward the future of Aiki in Aikido. I sincerely wish you all the best in this regard and look forward to meeting Mark and Rob and hopefully you someday.

I hope my questions have moved you to look beyond the tree you are fixed on (aka video) to see the forest.

William Hazen
Old 09-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #24
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
William
Is there any benefit in insulting people personally? I think we need to be done with that. I aplogize on the rare occasions I get personal. Please don't sully a thread. It's bad enough my name is on it already.

BTW, I think Rob J. made some good points, in that most budo people somehow...magically...manage to arrive at seminars they are truly interested in.
Plain fairs from coast to coast I just reviewed are around $380.00. Motels $50
There are several seminars a year offered with men with this power, who openly and activey teach it.
Since we are the ones arranging, coordinating, and giving our time to not only both back-up what we write, but offer support to those coming to train
The credibility issue doesn't seem to be ours.
Sorry Dan my mother is dying from cancer and her care is my priority. I stand by my comments to Rob. I am sure he means well but his people skills need work IMO

Quote:
William,
Where and with whom have you felt this power?
Again one more time Taika Oyata Sensei of Ryu Te and Tanaka Sensei both here at various times in California. There are others as well...

Why do you ask?

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 09-03-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #25
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
And so the jerk chimes in...I have felt this power before I very much appreciate what Dan does and you're completely missing the point. But considering the very helpful context of most of your posts I am not surprised.

William Hazen
I don't doubt that you have, but I haven't seen you make any meaningful contributions back when the mechanics were being discussed...
So one's got to wonder whether a) you got anything out of it
or whether b) you actually got to experience it in the first place.

I'd lean towards a).

"頭を使わないとねぇ" -> どっかで聞いたセリフ