Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
tim evans
United_States
Extension of Energy -- How?

Being a newbie certain aspects of aikido baffle me this KI,unbendable arm,and now xtension of energy( KI again0 for example shomenuchi ikkyo omote I irrimi in as the ukes arm rises try to concentrate on elbow pushing back toward his ear at this time my instructor grabs my back arm I had no energy on the elbow control side I tried to get what my instructor wanted but to no avail how do I extend energy through the technique.thanks
Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States
Re: Extension of Energy -- How?

All aikido is a battle for the center. Kokyo is a common exercise in most classes (ether a warm up or a cool down) to emphasize exactly what you seek. If you want to understand it, work on kokyo, that is the most basic aikido principle, but it is also one of the hardest.

You have to push forward, always, but don't make it a confrontation. Ideally, you want to approach the attack like a blind man approaches a wall. He does not try to break through it, but feels his way around it. He pushes against the wall, not to try to move it, but to try to feel it so he can find a way around it. All that is left after that is to choose the easiest path.

Was that helpful?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

There are a variety of metaphors different instructors will use (extending energy through pinky or past fingers, blowing up a huge beach ball, etc.) From a body use perspective, in terms of moving the arms, the two most helpful things I've learned are:
1. engage the triceps rather than the biceps
2. use the Pilates concept of "move down in order to move up": let your shoulder blades sink down and back, let the tops of your shoulders follow them down, and your arms should naturally rise in a relaxed, extended manner via the engagement of the latissimus dorsi.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
tim evans
United_States
Smile Re: Extension of Energy -- How?

Quote:
Ryan Szesny wrote: View Post
All aikido is a battle for the center. Kokyo is a common exercise in most classes (ether a warm up or a cool down) to emphasize exactly what you seek. If you want to understand it, work on kokyo, that is the most basic aikido principle, but it is also one of the hardest.

You have to push forward, always, but don't make it a confrontation. Ideally, you want to approach the attack like a blind man approaches a wall. He does not try to break through it, but feels his way around it. He pushes against the wall, not to try to move it, but to try to feel it so he can find a way around it. All that is left after that is to choose the easiest path.

Was that helpful?
Very helpful ryan thanks I will definetly work on my kokyo technique thanks
Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
There are a variety of metaphors different instructors will use (extending energy through pinky or past fingers, blowing up a huge beach ball, etc.) From a body use perspective, in terms of moving the arms, the two most helpful things I've learned are:
1. engage the triceps rather than the biceps
2. use the Pilates concept of "move down in order to move up": let your shoulder blades sink down and back, let the tops of your shoulders follow them down, and your arms should naturally rise in a relaxed, extended manner via the engagement of the latissimus dorsi.
Janet when you say engage the tricep do you mean roll it over thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, energy follows the mind.
Don't extend with muscle, extend with focus/intent.
Mentally focus through and behind the direction you are going/aiming. Exhale.
IMHO, that may get you started.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

What Lynn said is pretty much what I have always found to work best. Focus on the end result not the action. Energy really is a mental thing. I agree that Kokyo techniques are great for practicing that.I really enjoy them when we do them as a warm down in class. Finally beginning to find that feel myself.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

There is a lot to this stuff.

My opinion is that it really has to be felt, but I can give you a hint that I wish I started out knowing. Don't extend at all. Expand and contract up and down the spine to get started. If, as nage, you can expand such that you can keep uke extending, you'll get desirable results.

Rob
Old 07-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
dps

Understanding extension or projection of energy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...een+door&hl=en

http://www.videojug.com/film/golf-swing-instead-of-hit

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ll&hl=en&emb=0

David

Last edited by dps : 07-25-2009 at 06:59 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
dps

I am sorry, The last link is suppose to be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GLqN9yeE8s.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
Janet when you say engage the tricep do you mean roll it over thanks for the help.
No, to engage a muscle means to USE it. Make it fire and contract.

Janet Rosen
Old 07-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
Janet Rosen

To clarify: I agree with those who talk about expansion and focus on energy, and am not advocating a pure "muscle use" practice.

Seems to me that some folks, especially newbies who come in without a lot of mind-body connection already happening (you know - the ones who seem to be walking through life 3" away from their bodies...), seem to find it easier if they are given a hint of a different way to actually use their bodies, and in my experience there is a hugs overlap between the energy and expansion being discussed and the postural and efficient body use that comes from using the body as described. Can't speak as to "which comes first" but I know that whichever I focus on doing first, the other happens.

Janet Rosen
Old 07-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

There is a difference between extension with an extended arm and extension with a relaxed arm. In both sense you'll be doing extension from your center but in the latter you'll be using more of your mental focus rather then physically trying to extend.

Its harder to perceive if you're doing it right but that's why you practise.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.