Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 AM   #26
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Cross Training

I've said it before on aikiweb but the cross-training I did with Judo took my aikido to a whole new level.

Not sure exactly why but it did.

The Aikido Shihan just told me to be careful. The Judo guys liked the challenge of dealing with technique creep. O-soto gari with shomen-ate.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-30-2016, 04:42 AM   #27
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
John Robinson wrote: View Post
When i tried to cross train in Judo a few years ago, neither club liked it and i ended up getting banned from both. Aikido senseis don't like the idea that you can use aikido kata in freestyle sets, and judoka don't appreciate being immobilised by the skill of aikido move sets. It was very effective for me at the time though?!?
Effective for picking fight with girls?
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23308
Old 08-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #28
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Ah

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-31-2016, 10:41 AM   #29
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

For me...
1. Cross-training is not bastardizing. If I were to talk about a professional baseball player who cross-trains, I do not think we would entertain the argument that that baseball player would soon be expressing aspects of the other sport in his baseball play. I think it's odd that at the mention of cross-training in aikido, the issue arises. We may be talking about two different issues...
2. I advocate a very self-oriented perspective in training. I appreciate those who train with a dependency on their partner, but it's not what I do. If I am doing what I am supposed to, my partner should have a hard time regardless of what they are trying to do.

One of the things I like about cross-training is that it gives you an unfiltered view into what you are doing. Maybe you don't know "o soto gari" and your partner throws you. Was that because you don't know the throw? Or, because maybe your body is not as prepared for action as you thought.

If we are being selfish... I want to find the most knowledgeable and experienced person on the mat from whom I can learn. I am not sure I would split hairs with whether (or not) I could "throw" her or she could "shut me down." Neither one of those outcomes precludes me from learning from that individual. I think some of this conversation bleeds into some of the unspoken rules we use in aikido to craft our roles and expectations.

Jon Reading
Old 01-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #30
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

I agree with cross training in order to enhance/support aikido training and to better myself

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day