Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
thinking
Dojo: Blue Ridge Ki-Society
United_States
Do symbol Would like to talk

Hey guys and gals i would like to talk to some of you that are in the aikido world i have many ? and not realy in the the hole fourms thing if you could im me i have MSN Screen name is matthewglenn@msn.com Aim (SN) matthewglenn322 yahoo (SN) matthew_Glenn2001 please im on all the time feel free anytimg to im me i woul dlike to talk to some one for a real convo please only im if you are willing to talk for some time thanks....
Old 01-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
thinking
United_States
Re: Would like to talk

or if you would like post your screennames in here i will contact you. only trying to pick a style but would like to talk to someone please....
Old 01-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
thinking
United_States

ok well i would like to know a few thingings with aikido if any one is willig to help. I was wanting to know if there is any kicking and punching in Aikido or is it truly a nonagreive style. also i see info on the Web always talking about using there force against them then i see a demo video of the art. the vidoes look realy good but also look fake. it aperas as thou the one being tosed i think its the uke as its called in aikido looks to be doing it more him self. if any one can please tell if what im seeing its true. it seams to me that the art would not realy help if you where to be attacked. in every demo they are being attacked on a sertin way. what if attacked from the side or from behind is there things to do for that. and if this art is truly a non-agresive forum then you would almost need to take two difrent styles to realy be able to defend your self...

thanks for your time and i hope you all can halp again im not trying to discredit this art.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
thinking
United_States

ok i guess noone is able to answer them or i guess i sse it the right way as fake.....
Old 01-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Chris Birke

How old are you?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
thinking
United_States

ok so yeah my typing skills are not good and nor is my spelling. so ok now that that is out of the way. and why dose my age matter to you...

Last edited by thinking : 01-08-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
Tinyboy344

United_States

I think you should visit a few dojos, talk to a few instructors, watch a few classes (beginners and advance), participate in a few training sessions (I'd recommend the beginners ones ). Some dojos offer up to one month of free classes. After doing all that, I believe that you will find out if Aikido is right for you and which style/dojo that you wanna be a part of.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
Chris Birke

Because your tact seems youthful and its curious you're searching for a "style."
Old 01-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
thinking
United_States

Quote:
Duy Trinh wrote:
I think you should visit a few dojos, talk to a few instructors, watch a few classes (beginners and advance), participate in a few training sessions (I'd recommend the beginners ones ). Some dojos offer up to one month of free classes. After doing all that, I believe that you will find out if Aikido is right for you and which style/dojo that you wanna be a part of.

Thank you finaly some not afrade to post something thank you for your words but im am looking at a few schools. they are all Ki around here.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Tinyboy344

United_States

Quote:
Matthew Glenn wrote:
Thank you finaly some not afrade to post something thank you for your words but im am looking at a few schools. they are all Ki around here.
Not a problem. I was just speaking from my own experience. Oh and I dont think people are afraid of posting replies to this thread, somtimes you gotta be patient, not everyone goes to this website 50 times a day.... well...except me and the "YOU MIGHT BE AN AIKIDO ADDICT IF...." guys
Old 01-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

Remember Matthew, the only way to truly know is to go and try it out and see if it fits you. Like I said, its not about your strength, but its about using their strength against them. Its about winning the conflict even before the first blow rings down.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
thinking
United_States

Ok Let me restart this i have disrespected your guys site and for this i am sorry. i have been teased about my spelling all my life. so i take a defense to it at first sing of it going to that. i am only here to truly find answers to things on aikido. thank you to the few pepol that have im'ed me i have answered many of them. i'm here not to find a way to make aikido look fake. i don't want to be made out as a troal or some one here to try to underhand the art of aikido, but to truly looking for all the info i can get from pepol that are in it.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #13
thinking
United_States

i hope that helps.....

Its Not a Style But its a Way Of Life......
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #14
Chris Birke

I'd second trying things out at the local dojos - every one will be a bit different, and nothing compares to expirencing that stuff first hand.

As for answering "what if's" about fighting, try checking out non aikido dojos too. There are a lot of different aspects of self defense (and offense) and it's good to get some exposure to all of them. Aikido offers some things that no other art offers (good messageboards, for example...), however other arts also have many things to offer.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:35 AM   #15
DonMagee
United_States

I think besides the very good suggest you go check out the local schools. I'd say a better way then us tell you what aikido is, why do you tell us what you want from martial arts. Then we can tell you if aikido fits the bill.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #16
justin
United Kingdom

i would echo what has already been posted but add, just because something looks easy doesn't mean it is, i have always found the better someone is at aikido through experience hard work ect then the easier they make it look, and a lot of people who uke (the person who is attacking) sometimes goes with the flow a bit for self preservation once you have had someone put a technique on hard and you just stand there you don't tend to do that again in a hurry.

good luck with your future training where ever it may be.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #17
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

There are some excellent Ki Society dojos in Virginia. I would strongly advise you to go and try a bit before you judge.
e ya later
Jill.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Glenn wrote:
Ok Let me restart this i have disrespected your guys site and for this i am sorry. i have been teased about my spelling all my life. so i take a defense to it at first sing of it going to that. i am only here to truly find answers to things on aikido. thank you to the few pepol that have im'ed me i have answered many of them. i'm here not to find a way to make aikido look fake. i don't want to be made out as a troal or some one here to try to underhand the art of aikido, but to truly looking for all the info i can get from pepol that are in it.
Regardless of which art you choose to study, I suggest you get started learning something soon! I regret the time I wasted not studying aikido.

Regardless of the art...

Find a training hall, participate in what's going on, and don't give up on it for at least a month before you make a judgement (unless they're abusive).

You'll wonder why you took so long.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 01-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #19
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Things in Aikido look fake mainly for several reasons. One is that the techniques hurt but you can't understand that by looking at a video. You have to actually feel how the technique hurts. Second, the uke doesn't want to get hurt so he is throwing himself in order to not get hit or to get rid of the pain. If the uke was to stand there and try to take the full pain of the technique then he/she will not be around long and that is not the goal of practice in the dojo. Go to a dojo and feel the techniques then you will understand what I/we are talking about. It only looks fake until you actually understand how the techniques work.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #20
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States

Aikido does not have to hurt to be effective......you seem to be missing the point entirely

Last edited by Aiki LV : 01-09-2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: LEFT OUT WORD
Old 01-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
thinking
United_States

Ok could you please show us your piont.... mindy

Old 01-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #22
Aiki LV
United_States

Not to be snotty or anything, but I don't have to convince you aikido works nor do I have to explain myself. I could talk till I was blue in the face. What it comes down to is either you want to try it or you don't and until you do give it a try you won't understand completely what I or other people are saying. So what is the point of me explaining my position? All I can say is try out different arts and see what suites your needs and intentions. Good luck to you I hope you find what you are looking for..... If you even know at this point exactly what you're looking for.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #23
thinking
United_States

ok i can understand that, but if your not willing to explane your point then why waste your time even making a coment in the forums. to me this is a place to come and find info about the art. and i have tryed difrent arts. im not a noob to the MA world. the thing im looking for is that i want a spirtul and truditional MA. i do think that Aikido is the art for this to be found and also as of 11Am today i have already join a dojo and now in classes for aikido. and im 30 so i think i do know what im looking for.... thanks for your time in posting..

Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #24
Aiki LV
United_States

Glad you found a place. Questioning your motives and intentions was not meant as a slight. Some people don't really know what they are looking for. After reading your most recent post I and everybody else has more information about what you intentions are.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #25
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Mathew,

All of us have trouble spelling at one time or another...the same thing goes for grammar. I suggest you use the check spelling button at the bottom of the page...it will make it a lot easier for us to read your posts, and it will probably give you a better on line image as well. It may even change the nature of how you are taken here. Right now, people are wondering if you are a tween. Not exactly the image you probably want.

A little more time taken in posting can vastly affect the answers you get.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)