Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How often do you rely on your training partner for your safe ukemi during aikido training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of April 8, 2007:

How often do you rely on your training partner for your safe ukemi during aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Always
  • Often
  • Sometimes
  • Seldom
  • Never
Here are the current results.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:57 AM   #2
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Exclamation Re: Poll: How often do you rely on your training partner for your safe ukemi during a

Everyone is responsible for taking care of themselves, but the nage also has an obligation to look out for his uke. Training is mutual, a give and take, if you will. There have been plenty of times that I have been nage, and had an uke that was taking very good ukemi. But for some reason, be it an attention lapse or just falling a second behind, or even other trainees entering our space, the uke is not up to snuff and that is something I can always sense. Being able to sense when your uke cannot or is not ready to take a fall is a crucial part of training. You should always take care of the person that will also have to take care of you.

This is no way means that you have to train with less intensity, but that you simply need to heighten your sense of feeling and awareness. This includes your uke's presence and state of being, and your surroundings.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
jss
Netherlands
Re: Poll: How often do you rely on your training partner for your safe ukemi during a

If I want my nage/tori to actually practice aikido, he needs to control me and my movement. So I have no other choice than to rely on him for my safe ukemi. Depending on the situation you can resist nage's attempts to control you, so that you have more control over your ukemi. By doing so you are resisting nage's technique for your own safety and sometimes this means not allowing any aikido to be done at all.
In reality it gets a bit more complicated. Firstly, giving up control completely is not a wise thing to do. You have to take care of yourself. Secondly, an uke should keep moving in a martial way, not be some human throwing dummy. So someone who just hands over control is not a good training partner either. Thirdly, if you are more skilled than nage, you can control your ukemi better. In this situation resisting nage's attempts at control to some degree (if done wisely) allows nage to learn something. Fourthly, if nage is much more skilled than you, you'll have no choice than to largely rely on nage for your ukemi.

But I allow nage as much control over me as I see fit, thus relying on him for my ukemi. And sometimes that means that nage does not get the chance to do any aikido at all. I just anticipate and 'dance' around them...

Joep

Last edited by jss : 04-08-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Poll: How often do you rely on your training partner for your safe ukemi during a

First rule in our group is TAKE CARE OF YOUR PARTNER.

If tori doesn't have uke's best interest at heart how will trust ever develop and good training happen? If uke doesn't trust tori why would they give their attack knowing something dangerous is about to happen? Jita Kyoei

Questions like this are good to stimulate discussion, but the real answer is always a paradox.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 04-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

With good aikido, there is a certain amount of trust involved whether as uke or nage. We ought to trust ourselves first, so we practice safe throws and practice taking safe ukemi. As we age, this basic principle becomes more and more apparent.

In gassho,

Mark
Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

It's complex.. and it depends upon my partners and in a certain sense is usually a shared responsibility.

With a certain set of partners, I rely entirely upon tori (generally with seniors or peers) to be responsible.

With another set, I take the responsibility as uke (generally for juniors).

With still others where the seniority is unclear because their rank is not necessarily a reflection of their ability, I used to have to decide who was responsible on a case by case basis..

But lately, I find myself tending not to train with those who I cannot give full trust and responsbility too unless, of course, they are simply my juniors and have not yet learned how to be responsible for my body.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."