Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-14-2004, 03:21 PM   #26
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: Would you switch schools?

I have switched schools several times, for a variety of reasons. The main reason is that I don't believe that one instructor can teach you everything about Aikido, so I have always tried to go to see other styles and different instructors. Unfortunately some of my ex-instructors took this to mean I was acting disloyally towards them, so I took this to mean that they were not really interested in my progress in Aikido.

You should always do what's best for you.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:33 AM   #27
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Question is mainly aimed at other Yudanska.

Is there anything that could make you change schools? The same "style" or different, but different organisation?

Oh blimey, I have done 4 times in the 12 years I have been studying Aikido. Three of these have been as a result of the same dojo moving between associations for various reasons. I have gone along with the dojo because I followed my Sensei and enjoy training there. I am still a member of my first dojo and now teach there myself. The other time was when I relocated to Japan on business, I was able to join the Aikikai and Hombu dojo and train there for a couple of years. I return to Japan regularly to visit family and friends, even there though, I train at three different dojo's run by different people!

I don't think that any of the changes have hindered my Aikido training, it probably hindered my grade progress (e.g. dropping previous grades when I joined the Aikikai), but that never really bothered me much, it has never been about the belt.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-19-2004, 05:52 PM   #28
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

A question for those of you who have been training for a long time - In your search for greater knowledge of Aikido have you paused to consider that what you seek lies within, not out; that you have reached a point in your journey where you need to hold your own light and find your way?

Is it possible that dojo hopping is a manifestation of the fear that it's time to leave the nest and define your own Aikido?

Just wondering.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:27 PM   #29
Aristeia
New Zealand

Brad: Gotta say I disagree with you buddy. Now normally I'm the most anti-religion-in-organisations kind of guy you can find. Prayer in school, any link between govt and religion, and I'll fight it tooth and nail. But I don't see what the issue is with someone seeing a link between Aikido and their spiritual beliefs and choosing to put them together in a dojo. Sure they should probably make that explicit, but assumadly you saw a copy of the dojo rules fairly early on so knew what you were in for. If you don't share the same beliefs or don't agree with them being discussed on the mat, there's plenty of standard dojo's around to join. Why should your desire not to mix the two impinge on his freedom to do so?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 05-19-2004, 11:24 PM   #30
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote:
<snip>.. I don't believe that one instructor can teach you everything about Aikido, so I have always tried to go to see other styles and different instructors. Unfortunately some of my ex-instructors took this to mean I was acting disloyally towards them, so I took this to mean that they were not really interested in my progress in Aikido.

You should always do what's best for you.
Ruth,

Agreed wholeheartedly with you. Ironically, some of these instructors who felt this way have done the same themselves. Bottom-line, it is an ego thing and it just shows that they still have not gone beyond techniques.

Some instructors need to know the difference between "entertaining" and "teaching". Student pay hard-earned money (either theirs or their parent's) to learn the art. Some "teachers" I have seen in dojo/seminar are interested in showing what they can do rather than teaching what they can do.

David
Old 05-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #31
Hagen Seibert
Dojo: Kamai
Germany

Ruth,

I understand the neccessity to hear other voices.
Did you really learn everything your former teachers had to offer before leaving ?
Because, in that way it is acting disloyal as your former teacher had put effort into your progress and you threw it away before fully grasping it.
Of course, if what they thaught was what you had already mastered then you were right to leave. Or you found out it was not what you were looking for.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:39 AM   #32
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hagen Seibert wrote:
Ruth,

I understand the neccessity to hear other voices.
Did you really learn everything your former teachers had to offer before leaving ?
What makes you think I don't still train under my former teachers?

Just because I've switched schools doesn't mean I won't train under any teacher, given the opportunity. I do still train under them, with the exception of one. The reason why I'm with my current school is because I learn so much more there every session than I do under my former instructors.

I think that's fair. I do Aikido for me, not for anybody else.
YMMV.

Ruth
Old 06-22-2004, 07:10 AM   #33
"Bridget"
IP Hash: aed08e60
Anonymous User
Smile Re: Would you switch schools?

I've had to change schools many times and in various arts since beginning my martial arts training. (I'm not a dan grade)

At first you find it very difficult to adapt to the different way of doing things. And you don't exactly "buy" what new sensei is teaching because your old sensei did it differently (and better, or so you believe).

Some organisations I've left because of their attitude of theirs being the only "true" way or such like. I've had moves forced on me due to going away to and graduating from Uni, which meant I was sad to leave (I miss you Jitsu Foundation!). I've also left one instructor due to his teaching style, and there was a bit of a falling out, but we are on speaking terms again, but then I didn't leave the organisation just moved clubs. I'm now training with both karate and aikido clubs and my senseis are both excellent (as are the rest of the club) and very understanding when an odd or unrecognised technique comes out, when I get stuck! They are patient and give me time to work the new technique til I'm happy.

After moving about so much, it's gotten to the stage where I am willing to learn anything put my way and I will try all techniques before judging. And I'm not afraid of asking WHY it is done a certain way. At the end of the day, it's more techniques to your armory and you get a wonderful insight into the many ways of skinning a cat I guess.

If you get a chance to try other things, I would recommend it as you never know what you are missing, even if you do go back to your original club!