Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-02-2004, 02:54 AM   #1
tiyler_durden
Netherlands
Freaky! Help.....

Hi,

New here.
I recently moved country and was divorced and a whole lot of other things happened in my life which lead me to stop training in Aikido!
I have found another place to train with a new feel and a new Sensei,but unfortunately I have given in to my demons..I feel like I cannot train anymore!

I cannot explain why? I have been doing a lot of soul searching and cannot find why?

I miss Aikido yet cannot get up and train?

I keep up with sword practice and meditate almost everyday.
I keep the movements and practice alone as much as I can yet still cannot get past the fear of going to the dojo and train properly with the other Aikidoka!

Thanks,needed to spill

Tiyler
Old 04-02-2004, 07:59 AM   #2
toranaga
Dojo: Aikido Praxis Club (RS)
To train again the answer is quite simple: just go to the dojo and do it.

If you look for problems to train, oh you will find them. Use the "aikido lemma": do, don't think.

At the moment you get in the tatami, you will forget (for a time, at least) your problems.

"Paciência quer dizer conter-se. Existem sete emoções, neh? Alegria, ira, ansiedade, adoração, pesar, medo e ódio. Se um homem não cede a elas, é paciente."
Old 04-02-2004, 08:56 AM   #3
taras
United Kingdom
I went through a patch with a lot of personal problems, I stopped doing Aikido for about a fortnight, but it did not solve anything. In the end I made myself go back and train, and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Unless your problems are directly related to your dojo, just carry on man! ;-)
Old 04-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #4
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Depending on your personal belief system, this advice might be totally off the wall, so take it with a grain of salt--

Ritual purification can help in putting the past behind you and becoming able to do what you want. Some aikido traditions have their own methods, such as cold water misogi. Your meditation practice might also suggest something. Alternatively, you could brainstorm for what ritual elements would suggest closure, purification, and new beginnings to you. I definitely like water in some form for this purpose.

A mundane trick that sometimes works is to pay your dues in advance. Then you feel like you're wasting money if you don't go.

Another is to find an aikido buddy and go together. Peer pressure can have its good side.

This is not much help when you're just beginning to try to practice again, but one thing that has really helped me to continue is that I don't make a decision each class night whether to go or not. I work out if there are any classes I'll need to skip each week, and otherwise I just go, on autopilot, without thinking about it. My husband knows this and treats it as a given. (It's also a lot easier for him to keep track of my schedule if I'm consistent.) There's much less psychological wear and tear this way, I find.

Hope this helps,

Mary Kaye
Old 04-02-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
shihonage
United_States
Maybe it's because your other personality trains while you're sleeping.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States
Inertia? When something is at rest, it tends to stay at rest. When something is in motion, it tends to stay in motion. As creatures of habit, just go train for a while and see if the demons leave you. Sequentially, I tend to feel more like working out after a good session, not before it.

Now quit talking about and get back on the mat.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-04-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
David Edwards

Dojo: Genbukan, Macclesfield
United Kingdom
Quote:
Aleksey S (shihonage) wrote:
Maybe it's because your other personality trains while you're sleeping.
Yeah, that'll be it. And the first rule of Aikido Club is... I actually keep a copy of this book (Chuck Palahniuk, "Fight Club", for those who didn't get the reference) on my MA bookshelf, it seems correctly placed there, if only for its "alternate" approach to the philosophy of violence.

It's a kind of magic
Old 04-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #8
Jamie Stokes
Dojo: Kenkyu Kai
"Durden-san"

I think that the problem isn't in the Aikido.

It sounds like its off mat.

You are in a new place, with a different set of circumstances.

Just keep up the practice, that isn't hurting or hindering you.

The answer will come to you, and will be obvious in hindsight.

Aikido shimasu.

Jamie.

PS I have a copy of the bok, and the movie. enjoy them both.

Aikido: Love and compassion at one metre per second.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:29 AM   #9
tiyler_durden
Netherlands
HI All,

I just want to thank you all for the heart felt support,I actually never thought I would get any replies at all!

I know I am a little sad,but I do know this will pass and I will return to Aikido!

Thanks every one.

Remember,your not your ******* khakis!

Tiyler

"Deal with the faults as gently a your own"
Old 04-07-2004, 11:32 PM   #10
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
When you do aikido, only think about the "now". Nothing before class, nothing after.

For me, training is a tiny vacation from my problems.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:01 AM   #11
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Keep training. I had a rough time in the summer with something similar, missed one session because I was in a murderous mood and thought I would injure myself or someone else. Keep training, its the way forward mate

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:53 AM   #12
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Stop whingeing.

Do what you want.