Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
tuturuhan
United_States
Geometric Proofs

When I was in Athens, I told my seminar students "I have come to teach you Greek Martial Arts". They mistakenly thought I was being paid to teach them joint locks, throws and self defense.

I was really there to teach them the mechanics of leverage, angles, and centrifical and gravitational forces as it applied to connecting to one's opponent. Hence Greek Martial Arts...

Lately, I have had to revisit "geometric proofs" for my two daughters. My oldest is 10 years old and is now in a high school geometry class. I've notice that the body of "math" being taught in schools has grown. But then, with greater un-covering of "math knowledge"; I shouldn't have been surprized that what I learned in high school 35 years ago has changed and evolved. (Though, by reading history I have always been aware of the fact that "knowledge" during the dark ages was lost and almost forgotten.)

I think it is the "same" too with martial arts. In other words, martial arts changes and evolves/de-evolves depending on the ages of enlightenment and the ages of darkness.

Today, given 20 million martial arts practitioners, there are lots of opinions. Lots of people look for shortcuts. This is a good thing, but, only if you can add and subtract. Lots of people "jump to conclusions. They make assumptions when they should be looking "to prove" their statements. This too is nonetheless a good thing. It gives the rest of us an opportunity to challenge the hypothesis and to "demand proof".

It is an accepted "theorem" that a picture is worth a thousand words. In the 1960's when I started my martial arts training, I would have "killed" to get a hold of the public videos that now exist in places like youtube. Yes, there are beginners who post, who claim to be masters and their are true masters that are unrecognized by "the majority" who cannot see the mastery from their "dark" vantage point. Nonetheless, both good and bad, benefit those of us who wish to perform the "geometric proofs".

Best,
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Last edited by tuturuhan : 10-06-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: grammar

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 10-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Geometric Proofs

Quote:
their are true masters that are unrecognized
Who are the true masters you speak of?

And I suppose, I should follow up with and how would you prove they were masters?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Joyce Lunas
Dojo: Kobukan Dojo
Re: Geometric Proofs

Quote:
Joseph Arriola wrote: View Post
When I was in Athens, I told my seminar students "I have come to teach you Greek Martial Arts". They mistakenly thought I was being paid to teach them joint locks, throws and self defense.

I was really there to teach them the mechanics of leverage, angles, and centrifical and gravitational forces as it applied to connecting to one's opponent. Hence Greek Martial Arts...

Today, given 20 million martial arts practitioners, there are lots of opinions. Lots of people look for shortcuts. This is a good thing, but, only if you can add and subtract. Lots of people "jump to conclusions. They make assumptions when they should be looking "to prove" their statements. This too is nonetheless a good thing. It gives the rest of us an opportunity to challenge the hypothesis and to "demand proof".

Best,
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Hi Joseph, WHEN were you here, in Greece? Nobody told me at the dojo you were visiting...

Yes, lots of ppl are looking for an 'easy way out of probs" but i tend to be more resilient because only lately have i come to understand the multiple layers of thoughts on thoughts and esoteric hindrances ppl tend to build up in order to protect themselves.
Martial arts, on the other hand, have to have rules. That's a given. A lot of accidents could result from a leisurely type of behaviour in any given dojo around the globe if you don't pay attention.

The mechanics of leverage etc., you say. Hm... interesting thought. I myself happen to be an avid fan of Pythagoras' geometrical axioms and so on and i would be more than eager to listen to what you have to say on these two really interesting pursuits (i.e. Aikido + Geometry).

Should you wish to enlighten me, i'm all ears, my friend

Be well,
Joyce