Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Shizentota

Dojo: Hakusan A.K.I.
Chile
Aikido like a mirrow of the soul

Show me your aiki and I will tell you who u are.
It is very interesting how your aiki show thing from u.
If you are afraid, I will see that
If your heart is open, I will see that
If you are generous , I will see that

Your aikido is like your finger print, you can know someone only by practicing with them.

May be there are more friends by your side and you dont even know,
that happened to me, and I am grateful about that.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido like a mirrow of the soul

That was a very beautiful bit of poetry! Thank you.
I think one of the things which attracted me to Aikido initially was the great use of metaphor and metaphysical application.
Aikido definately can help us polish our proverbial mirrors...and I agree it's very interesting how each person expresses themselves in training...and often through that training, in their daily lives.
Take care,
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 11-19-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Me too. Greetings from AKI Pennsylvania, USA!

Steve

http://akiusa.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=1

Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Shizentota

Chile

it's very interesting how each person expresses themselves in training...and often through that training, in their daily lives.

Thats was Osensei meaning of sharing his knowledge to all of us.
Thanks all for posting.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

"Aikido like a mirrow of the soul"

This thought is very much an influence of "The New Religions" of Japan--Kurozumikyo, Tennrikyo, and, of course, Omoto, fwiw.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 11-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Shizentota

Chile

hope to see each other by may in Japan Stephen, I am planning to visits takeda sensei dojo by that date

Saludos de Chile
:-)
Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

I hope to be there too!

I hope you will post on the bulletin board: http://akiusa.org/phpBB3/viewforum.p...62d1d73008d2ee

Maybe you can post some photos?

Cheers,
Steve

Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Where's the bit about fish?

I misread the thread title...
Old 11-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, everything is holographic (the parts contain the whole).
Everything is an expression of who you are.
It all depends on how clean you mirror is and do you know what you are looking at.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
Shizentota

Chile

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
It all depends on how clean you mirror is
pouring ourselves, pouring our keiko, one true,
like a water puddle you can see my reflection and still get into me,
thanks all
Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
IMHO, everything is holographic (the parts contain the whole).
Everything is an expression of who you are.
While this is true, I am always amazed by the fact that Aikido training reveals so much. I think that's one of the main reasons that people quit early on. Often, around 2nd or 1st kyu, they have a crisis and quit. I used to think it was all because of the time and effort commitment but I have come to believe that much of it has to do with how "exposed" training makes some folks feel.

I think that most folks start martial arts because on some level they realize that they are fearful. So they try to cover up that fear by trying to be more powerful. But Aikido training in particular requires accepting being vulnerable... I think that being that accessible to other people really pushes some folks buttons.

Train with someone for a very short time and you know most of the essential information about them. There's just no way to really hide from others because the practice is so intimate. An Aikido dojo is a hard place for someone with intimacy issues.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
MM
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
While this is true, I am always amazed by the fact that Aikido training reveals so much. I think that's one of the main reasons that people quit early on. Often, around 2nd or 1st kyu, they have a crisis and quit. I used to think it was all because of the time and effort commitment but I have come to believe that much of it has to do with how "exposed" training makes some folks feel.

I think that most folks start martial arts because on some level they realize that they are fearful. So they try to cover up that fear by trying to be more powerful. But Aikido training in particular requires accepting being vulnerable... I think that being that accessible to other people really pushes some folks buttons.

Train with someone for a very short time and you know most of the essential information about them. There's just no way to really hide from others because the practice is so intimate. An Aikido dojo is a hard place for someone with intimacy issues.
This is an area where I am beginning to wonder. I don't often find myself on a differing viewpoint from you, but in this, well, as I said, I'm beginning to wonder.

Does aikido truly require such intimacy between people? If the way of aiki is really something done inside oneself and requires internal matching rather than matching a partner, then intimacy isn't really a requirement.

If, as Ueshiba supposedly did, "harmonizing" with the Universe is a vital component, then that's really a very personal thing between you and the Universe. Ueshiba didn't need to be intimate with any of the people he came across. Ueshiba didn't know Tenryu at all and yet applied the secret (aiki) to best him.

Put together, Ueshiba's Aikido, then resolves around an internal, non-resistant (not related to what others are doing at all), appropriately matching harmony (in a very neutral aspect) with the Universe that doesn't rely upon anyone else. There is no intimacy outside oneself.

So, where then does the intimacy come from in aikido training? In what training area did it start? Why do we persist with it?

My thoughts,
Mark
Old 11-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Well Mark, for me at least, even with the new perspectives that I've gained, I do find aikido practice can often be very intimate. Especially for people with previous issues, as George said.

Even if "aiki" is something that you do more in yourself, there is still the physical contact with another person during training in a dojo that can highlight pre-existing issues. I myself don't really have any, but even for me, I tend to be very cautious when working with women or young kids. I've had plenty of female training partners who had no issues at all with the physicallity of aikido keiko, but I've also known some who do have issues that they work through.

No big deal overall...

Best,
Ron (I'm kind of used to mixed gender training...there was a woman who trained with our wrestling team in college who was actually quite good)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Does aikido truly require such intimacy between people? If the way of aiki is really something done inside oneself and requires internal matching rather than matching a partner, then intimacy isn't really a requirement.
In my opinion, pure internal skill building is not true aiki any more than going through the external motions without any internal truth. Aiki (in the sense I use it anyway) requires both. Correct internal structure allows much more external sensitivity because it allows you to use and direct power more efficiently, so you don't overload your proprioception on your own muscular tension. With the relatively little ammount of 'internal' training that I've done, I would say that my ability to sense/feel/experience what George is describing has increased not decreased. YMMV as always.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 11-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #15
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Ueshiba's Aikido, then resolves around an internal, non-resistant (not related to what others are doing at all), appropriately matching harmony (in a very neutral aspect) with the Universe that doesn't rely upon anyone else. There is no intimacy outside oneself.
Mark,
Good points. Made me think.

IMHO, while the internal is the center of the circle, the radius extends and encompasses outward to include a very intimate
connection to the uke. Aiki is not just connecting to your own center but entering and blending with the other's center, becoming one, intimate, and mystically losing the duality.

I often wonder if that is why O'Sensei said no one was following his Aikido, because we were relating it to our reductionistic self centeredness instead of an intimate harmonizing of our center with that of another, and moving from that connection.

It may be as much a philosophical frame of reference (mind leading ki) as a physical technique.

IMHO, intimacy is always outside myself because it involves very close contact (physically, mentally, spiritually) with some one else. I am not alone in my Aikido.

But hey, that's me. And we all know I have fear based intimacy issues.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
MM
United_States

George, Ron, Chris, and Lynn. Thank you for the posts. Anything that makes me redefine my preconceived notions is always a blessing.

I'll chew on this bone for a bit to see what I can make of it.

Mark
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #17
Mato-san
Iceland

It is hard to articulate Aikido from a keyboard, but to the original poster... "very nice words"

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #18
Shizentota

Chile

Thanks Mathew.