Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-23-2001, 11:47 AM   #1
Nick
United_States
For those who answered "No"

if Aikido is not a Way of life, then what is it??

Nick
Old 06-23-2001, 01:28 PM   #2
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
What is it

What is it if it's not a way of life? A good way to meet people, good excercise, a fine social circle and, as our Dojo is in the grounds of a pub, a damn good way to drive up a thirst!
Have fun,

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 06-23-2001, 02:20 PM   #3
TheProdigy
Dojo: Aikido Kokikai Delaware
Some may use it simply as self-defense... nothing more, nothing less...

For me, it is to an extent a way of life. A part of the Way anyways...

-Jase

Jason Hobbs
"As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life."
Old 06-23-2001, 05:46 PM   #4
mj
Question

Surely you can't find THE WAY just by doing what a bunch of other people are doing, we're all different. You'll only find their WAY.

Old 06-23-2001, 09:12 PM   #5
guest1234
I didn't vote, because I had trouble deciding what was asked and how to answer, but if I had to choose, it would be "no," and this is why: Aikido is important to me, it has taught me to focus better (still a lot of room to go, but I'm now at least wearing my glasses, thanks Jim). It helps me see parallels in how I am on the mat, and how I am off the mat. But my philosophy in life, how and why I live as I do, what I am looking for and hope to accomplish---all of that I had before Aikido. Aikido's approach fits well with my own beliefs, but it is my beliefs I follow.
Do I go to class a lot---until last month seven days a week, now five due to ops tempo, but soon seven again I hope. Have I ever sought my sensei's advice on things not related to Aikido---in my last two dojo's, yes. But because I respected those individuals' opinions, not because they were Aikido senseis. Make any sense? To me, Aikido is something that I do, along with a lot of other things, that hopefully will allow me to grow and develop. It is more of a walking stick than a signpost, to me.

Last edited by guest1234 : 06-23-2001 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:19 PM   #6
guest1234
Rats, even with glasses a typo...oh well, still room for improvement. Now, on the subject of dojos on pub's grounds, am I the only one thinking a road trip is in order to Fatbloke's dojo?
Old 06-24-2001, 07:30 AM   #7
aikilouis
France
I didn't answer anything in spite of all I discovered through it (eastern philosophy, among others), because considering aikido as my way of life involves a level of commitment i do not consider myself to have.

Ludwig R Joseph
Old 06-24-2001, 09:28 AM   #8
Jim ashby
Road trip

Hi Coleen,
I'm sure that a road trip to our Dojo would be worthwhile. I've just come home from our Sunday morning class, it's a very hot day and we had a brilliant session. Yokomenuchi tenbin nage and irimi nage with some other stuff thrown in. Came off the mat really hot and sweaty, got changed and had a really hard choice, go home or walk ten steps (literally) into our local, get a beer or three and sit outside in the sun talking about Aikido! NO CONTEST. However, as our Dojo is in Coventry (England) a road trip may be a bit far. Anyway, all are welcome. You might like to see our website. Go to the British Aikido Board website, look for the directory of clubs and go to the West Midlands. Scan down the list and there we are. We'd all be glad to see you.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 06-24-2001, 09:34 AM   #9
Jim ashby
PS

Coleen.
Looked at your biog. East coast of where?

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 06-24-2001, 09:08 PM   #10
guest1234
Jim,
East coast of the US (self-centered American that I am), but I travel some for work, and a dojo ten steps away from a pub, well that is something to see. Actually, I don't really drink alcohol, but I like a good party group, and, well, ten steps away from a pub...besides, after four trips to England, I've never been in a pub.
I actually may travel to Lakenheath AB in a month or so, how far are you all from there?
Colleen
Old 06-25-2001, 01:13 PM   #11
Jim ashby
Lakenheath to Coventry

Hi Coleen,
Lakenheath to our Dojo is about 110 miles according to the RAC. It would take you about 2.5 hours remembering to keep to the speed limits (yeah right!). If you fancied coming to the Dojo you could make a weekend of it, Coventry is a really historic city, chartered in 1345, a short drive from Stratford and Warwick. One of our members could probably put you up for a night. If you wanted to get here quicker maybe you could get a Herc into Baginton airport, I doubt if an F111 or a Warthog would be appropriate! If you don't fancy travelling so far there's a really good club in Bungay, a lot nearer to Lakenheath. Email me and I'll see what i can do to help with your visit.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 06-28-2001, 03:31 AM   #12
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
In my opinion, 95% of that poll should have answered 'no'.

How can aikido honestly be a 'way of life' if you practise twice a week in your home town and that's it?

Aikido is a way of life for a few people. These people travel to Japan and do aikido 4 times a day for months at a time. They have comitted a big part of their life any they are the only ones who could honestly say that it was a 'way of life' for them.

The spiritual aspects of aikido which I have no involvement in coming from a tomiki background may be the reason a lot of people answered 'yes' but really perhaps this is only an 'influence on your life' rather than 'way of life'.
Old 06-28-2001, 05:51 AM   #13
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
How can aikido honestly be a 'way of life' if you practise twice a week in your home town and that's it?
While that's a perfectly valid point, it's a narrow view of what a lot of people are like. Aikido is on my mind quite a bit more than when I'm on the mats. If I could afford to do more training, I would, but in the meantime aikido does still have a huge influence on my way of life.
I view corners as a chance to improve my taisabaki and breathing as an opportunity to improve my... breathing- probably like a lot of people who answered yes. It's a multiple choice poll- I never find my EXACT opinion listed!

andrew
Old 06-28-2001, 08:31 AM   #14
Nick
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
In my opinion, 95% of that poll should have answered 'no'.

That is true, but many aikidoka I have met practice everyday... on the mat? No, few of us are so lucky. However, if not practicing waza, they study history, or just find a way to incorporate aiki into their lives, so much that they scarcely think about it anymore. That is when it becomes a way of life...

Nick