Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-22-2002, 02:43 AM   #1
aries admin
Dojo: Aikikai Philippines
List of Techniques

Can somebody help me where I can find the list of techniques for the HOMBU DOJO Aikikai? The Yoshinkan web site has one I don't see it the official web site of Aikikai. Several web sites that are supposed to be Aikikai have different list.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:47 AM   #2
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: List of Techniques

Quote:
Aries Navy (aries admin) wrote:
Can somebody help me where I can find the list of techniques for the HOMBU DOJO Aikikai? The Yoshinkan web site has one I don't see it the official web site of Aikikai. Several web sites that are supposed to be Aikikai have different list.
Well, there's a list at the Aikikai Hombu page, but it's all in Japanese:

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/Jap/hombu/shinsayoko.htm

The nature of the Aikikai being what it is, testing requirements (and sometimes even technique names) vary according to where you are. Even in Japan, very few places follow the exact same testing list that the Aikikai Hombu does. It's essentially just a basic guideline.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-22-2002, 08:03 AM   #3
akiy

Re: Re: List of Techniques

Quote:
Christopher Li (Chris Li) wrote:
Well, there's a list at the Aikikai Hombu page, but it's all in Japanese:

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/Jap/hombu/shinsayoko.htm
Hopefully, the testing requirements for Aikikai Hombu dojo that I transcribed here on the Forums a while back are the same:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...7359#post17359

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-22-2002, 09:42 AM   #4
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Connections and Transitions

The training and testing of different ranks always seems to go beyond the physical mastery of techniques, especially when you get a chance to sit around a table with someone like John Stevens, author and teacher.

Here I am, sitting with six or seven teachers who have been in Aikido for twenty to forty years, and a couple ot them have even trained with O'Sensei, and we roam past the physical practice into the sounds of Aikido along with an underlying spiritual principle that goes outside normal practice while cutting to the heart of practice.

Where is the line between learning a list of techniques and gaining knowledge into the spirit of Aikido drawn? Or is it a combination of inside and outside practice that precludes scientific knowledge putting spiritual practice into the realm of blind faith?

Yeah, you can read off a list of techniques that must be practiced and mastered, but how many variations can be added to basic manipulations and variations? Will the list be so long that it crosses over into the realm of jujitsu? Or will we begin to incorporate some of the spiritual training that O'Sensei practiced in order to provide a clearer vision of what Aikido should be?

There are sounds in Aikido. There are deeper meanings to our physical practice that ties it to other forms of martial practice, along with practice of Aiki-ken or Aiki-jo providing clarity for Aikido practice.

A list of techniques for rank and testing?

Kind of like watching a movie without sound, or seeing a the review of a movie or play ... very dry, without emotional explanation. Or trying to learn Aikido from a book?

The different techniques are an accumulation of knowledge by Aikido's master practictioners, they encompass many years of practice to affect making techniques into a safer practice while maintaining their roots.

I wanted to go off on this tangent because reading a list of requirements should be the checklist of what you have already practiced, and not the goal of where you should go.

Take the time to understand the basic's ... the boring rehashing of the practice has higher meanings for building upon your knowledge and practice ... take a little time to see what they are before you try to complete the list of requirements.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:55 PM   #5
Dean H.
Bruce,

You seem to be the most arrogant,

vague, and incoherent person on

this entire website.

We are trying to talk about Aikido,

right? Please don't interfere

with your "life lessons" and

other distractions.

Believe it or not, most of us posting

here probably have instructors

and fathers, or at least father

figures.

Just friendly advice from someone

who doesn't know anything...
Old 07-24-2002, 01:11 AM   #6
aries admin
Dojo: Aikikai Philippines
Thanks for the help. I just noticed that Syllabus wise the Yoshinkan Organization by Shioda Sensei is more organized and has standard list of techniques. Whereas the Aikikai is loose on this aspect.