Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
3girls
Dojo: WestCoast Aikido
United_States
Aglimpse into the window of no technique

so often I hear sensei speak of letting technique happen allow uke to step into the hole, concentrate on taking balance and attacking uke's center and technique will happen by it self. Well I understand these concepts completely but at sankyu I still think for the most part balance break technique which is natural and will improve with time. Wednesday I got to randori with sensei which is great I love it. So we begin and I am my usual technique oriented self and after a while I settle down and concentrate on relaxing and trying to just trying to keep getting off balance,feel for some slack recover and attack again or take ukemi. Then from out of the blue I really feel energy build and normally I get excited celebrate to soon and well you know the rest. This time I just relaxed and just followed the energy, the truly amazing part was this was setting up uke for a mae otoshi again I did not rush into it or force the technique. As I was stepping and getting ready to float ukes center I felt a little shift of energy back into me sensei's energy shifting back into me . At this time I hear him say "Ohhhh you almost got it" I hip switched and he fell into shihonage. Please do not take this as bragging as it is intended just to share. By no means do I believe I have elevated my aikido to any new level it is just for a big guy like me who is trying hard to learn small man aikido and learn feel and touch and leave behind power and strength was a momentous occasion.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Aglimpse into the window of no technique

Ah! I think you have just stumble onto the special hyper secretive almost occult technique, so secretive, no name was given other than being just called the What the Heck, whAT just HAPpen Technique: WHAT-HAP (TM).

Nah... these are common occurance, no bragging right allowed. Try doing that again with three or four ukes charging at you before before considering bragging rights.

Happy training Brian,

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Ed Shockley
Dojo: aikikai of Philadelphia
United_States

I also am a "big man" and like you am thrilled when I escape my size and execute technique based on principles of Ki. Several great practitioners have also reminded me repeatedly that I must also accept the reality of my body and while examining "small man" Aikido (I think that's what you called it) I must ultimately perfect big man Aikido. Had O'Sensei been our size then the spirit of the art would likely be the same but there might be less koshi nages. The beauty of his art is that is one size fits all but that size is a tailor made suit unique to each practitioner.

All the best to you and hope we can swap big guy notes at some seminar.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: A glimpse into the window of no technique

Quote:
Ed Shockley wrote:
...hope we can swap big guy notes at some seminar.
Just bend your knees.
kool!

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 11-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
3girls
United_States

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Ah! I think you have just stumble onto the special hyper secretive almost occult technique, so secretive, no name was given other than being just called the What the Heck, whAT just HAPpen Technique: WHAT-HAP (TM).

Nah... these are common occurance, no bragging right allowed. Try doing that again with three or four ukes charging at you before before considering bragging rights.

Happy training Brian,

Boon.

to funny but that about describes it.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
3girls
United_States

Quote:
Ed Shockley wrote:
I also am a "big man" and like you am thrilled when I escape my size and execute technique based on principles of Ki. Several great practitioners have also reminded me repeatedly that I must also accept the reality of my body and while examining "small man" Aikido (I think that's what you called it) I must ultimately perfect big man Aikido. Had O'Sensei been our size then the spirit of the art would likely be the same but there might be less koshi nages. The beauty of his art is that is one size fits all but that size is a tailor made suit unique to each practitioner.

All the best to you and hope we can swap big guy notes at some seminar.
I agree we are who we are and should use what we have to our advantage. I also agree with my sensei in that learn small man aikido because there is always someone bigger and stronger.

Same: aikido is a small world and seminars abound I imagine we will meet one day
Old 11-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #7
3girls
United_States

Quote:
Brian Keesler wrote:
I agree we are who we are and should use what we have to our advantage. I also agree with my sensei in that learn small man aikido because there is always someone bigger and stronger.

Same: aikido is a small world and seminars abound I imagine we will meet one day
Bigger would exclude you just saw your profile 6'8" got beat by 4"
Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
tgibbs@bu.edu
United_States

The first indication that you are starting to "get it" is when your mistakes start working. You screw up and do the wrong thing, and discover that in fact you have done a perfectly valid technique, just not the one you had in mind.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Terrell Gibbs wrote:
The first indication that you are starting to "get it" is when your mistakes start working. You screw up and do the wrong thing, and discover that in fact you have done a perfectly valid technique, just not the one you had in mind.
My mistakes work better than my techniques.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #10
Ed Shockley
Dojo: aikikai of Philadelphia
United_States

"There are no mistakes in Aikido." John Stevens. I won't pretend that I understand what he meant but it makes me feel much better whenever a technique morphs into something different or even something awkward.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Superb! sounds like you have a good sensei - aikido is still alive!

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 12-03-2005, 07:27 AM   #12
3girls
United_States

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
Superb! sounds like you have a good sensei - aikido is still alive!
Thanks, and yeah I believe I do