Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-11-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
Kalle Koskinen
Dojo: Shiseikan
DVD - Yoshinkan Complete Techniques

Has anyone seen this DVD? Iīm planning to buy this, but it would be nice to know that have people been satisfied with this DVD. It costs over 100 euros and naturally Iīm expecting great quality. I have my doubts because I once orderd a DVD that didnīt match with its description. So any helpful comments are wolcome!

This is available from Budovideos.com and here is a little description:

"Originally released as a 10 part VHS series titled "Yoshinkan Complete Set of Techniques", now this incredible collection is available in a 3 DVD box set. This is regarded as the most complete collection of Aikido techniques on any video set. Techniques are demonstrated by Soke Gozo Shioda and instruction is performed and explained by top Yoshinkan instructors: Tsutomu Chida, Hitoshi Nakano, and Tsuneo Ando. Full English narration."

This is the first DVD-box in the long list of items which can be found by the name of Gozo Shioda.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Re: DVD - Yoshinkan Complete Techniques

Wow, I'd be up for buying that. I got shioda's second book, the master course or whatever its called and it was an excellent reference point for me in my earlier days of training.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Ivan Sekularac
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkai Canada
Canada

Sounds like a great buy.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
Kevin Temple
Dojo: Jinbukan
Canada

A friend of mine bought this set, and although I didn't watch all of it, I must say the demonstration by Shioda was tremendous, and the list of techniques was huge. Although we pretty much just surfed through to find the cool-sounding ones, there was a lot of stuff there, and i'm sure it'd be a great reference in case some sort of technique question comes up. I don't remember much about the narration, maybe we didn't turn it on, or maybe my friend had a copy that didn't include the narration, so i can't really comment on it. But overall I was very impressed and I would highly recommend it. A small note, if we are talking about the same DVDs, the majority of techniques are not demonstrated by shioda, there is just a set of clips showcasing some of his aikido, the entire list of techniques is demonstrated by the other high-ranking yoshinkan senseis.

Last edited by Kevin Temple : 12-11-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

If you are talking about the 150 basic techniques, the 3 DVD set, it is well done, especially if you practice in a Yoshinkan Aikido dojo. I'm sure others can benefit from it, however you really need to understand the teaching methodology and reasonings to really appreciate it. I'd recommend it either way.

The english translation is done by Robert Mustard Sensei who I'm sure most folks on this list know by name and/or reputation, if not personally. If not .. oh well, buy it anyway.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Excellent series. Highly recommend.

Best,
Ron (Hey Steven!)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
Kalle Koskinen
Dojo: Shiseikan

Thanks. Now I donīt have any doubts, so I will order them tomorrow.

Yoshinkan aikido has always interested me and I think this will be a good way of seeing the differences between Yoshinkan and Aikikai. Too bad that here in Finland there is not anyone who knows Yoshinkan, so I have to start by with these videos. And if everything goes well Iīll have the opportunity to learn some basics of Yoshinkan aikido during next summer.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

I study Aikikai but I have these dvds. They are excellent! I watch them all the time to get further understanding of what I do and I also have learned some new ways of doing what I already do. They also put the kanji on the screen so you can learn Japanese as well. Overall rating: money very well spent!!!