Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
tim evans
United_States
Claude Berthiaume at aikido of cincinnati

Claude Berthiaume 7th dan shihan from aikido de la montagne will be at aikido cincinnati jan.30 and 31 2010.everyone welcome.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada
Re: Claude Berthiaume at aikido of cincinnati

I took a few of Claude's classes over the holidays (I was visiting family in Montreal). He was in top form, should be a good seminar. A little too far out of my way unfortunately. But to all those going, have a good one.

Jonathan Olson
Old 01-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Jonathan Olson wrote: View Post
I took a few of Claude's classes over the holidays (I was visiting family in Montreal). He was in top form, should be a good seminar. A little too far out of my way unfortunately. But to all those going, have a good one.
What is his teaching style?how does he interact with beginners.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

His beginner classes are what got me hooked on aikido more than 10 years ago, si I'd have to say he interacts well with beginners. His teaching style is very clear and straigthforward, as one might expect considering he is an elementary school physical education teacher.

If a photo is worth a 1000 words, a video may be worth even more, so here are a few Youtube clips (a search will find you some more):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y73d3-CQx8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Db6IZvRNmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYphorlRAXg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMcqukshyPo

Jonathan Olson
Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Basia Halliop
Canada

I lived in Montreal a couple of years ago and Claude Sensei is the one who originally got me hooked on Aikido, too, with his beginner classes, and I still look forward to his classes at seminars. I found the classes large in his dojo but he has a very nice clear (to me) way of showing and explaining how to move for a technique. Mainly showing, but with a few choice sentences or mental images to draw your attention to important points. And he would walk around and try to get to each pair while people were practicing a technique, to check everyone was OK or if they needed some help, or occasionally to take ukemi for them so he could sort of walk them through what to do.

Of course with any given person you might happen not to like their teaching style, but for me, I've always looked forward to classes with him and feel like I learn something and enjoy it. Plus of course his technique shares a lot with that of my own teacher (both influenced strongly by Kanai Sensei), so for me there's an added benefit of seeing something familiar from a new point of view.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

I have had the pleasure of taking several of Berthiaume Shihan's classes as well as training with him on a few occassions and his aikido is exemplary. His understanding of aiki-weapons is particularly inciteful. Run to any seminar where he is teaching. You will never be disappointed.