Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #201
SRB

United_States
Re: Fight does not work at all in Aikido.

"The true science of martial arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they will be useful in all things."
Miyamoto Musashi
Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #202
genin
United_States

Quote:
Shane Bournival wrote: View Post
"The true science of martial arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they will be useful in all things."
Miyamoto Musashi
This is so true. I was watching some dvd recently on "sexual mastery" (sounds worse than it really is) and they referenced being centered, like in Aikido. Nothing lude or elicit intended in that, but the whole point was about maintaining a balance of male and feminine energy within oneself. You know, all the stuff that Aikido teaches in every other aspect of one's life.

It's not like they said Wing Chun, or Karate or some such. They could've said anything, but yet Aikido was specifically mentioned. The reason is obviously because the fundamental principle of this art is so far reaching that it can be applied anywhere, to any subject. Having a centered self.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #203
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Dunno. I view Aikido from the founder, Morihei Ueshiba. And *his* aikido was tested by many other martial artists. *His* aikido worked against anyone willing to test themselves against him. *His* aikido held up against all kinds of active resistance. He was interested in whether or not his deshi *won* their fights, even when he yelled at them not to fight.

Got not problems with people wanting to be all "flowing" and connecting and such. Just don't call it Ueshiba's Aikido because it isn't.
Excellent.
Thank you for this, Mark.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #204
TokyoZeplin
Dojo: Seishinkan Dojo
Denmark

Thought I would share an article I got today, since it has some relevance to this (the parts about Gozo Shioda).

http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2012/0...y-david-lynch/

Some might say he is not practising O Sensei's Aikido (or rather, how it was at the very end, where as far as I understand it was much less strict and "violent", and much more "flowey"), but nonetheless, one can certainly not say that his Aikido didn't have a martial direction and value to it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #205
yugen
United_States

Hi All,

I read this line in a post below:
Quote:
I view Aikido from the founder, Morihei Ueshiba. And *his* aikido was tested by many other martial artists.
First off, I'm not an aikido guy, so my following questions and comments are not meant to disparage Aikido in any way, but rather for my own edification.

I was wondering who actually tested Ueshiba? "Who" meaning any martial artists of high profile? I recently read the book about Yukiyoshi Sagawa and there is a part in there where he stated that when Ueshiba was traveling in the early days and giving his instructions only his immediate students who came with him took ukemi from him, whereas Sagawa states Takeda would let anyone from the class grab him.

Is he implying that Ueshiba didn't let just anyone grab him? One could read this that Ueshiba didn't let himself be really tested - that is if what Sagawa states is true.

thanks,
Ryan
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #206
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Ryan Schoelerman wrote: View Post
Hi All,

I read this line in a post below:

First off, I'm not an aikido guy, so my following questions and comments are not meant to disparage Aikido in any way, but rather for my own edification.

I was wondering who actually tested Ueshiba? "Who" meaning any martial artists of high profile? I recently read the book about Yukiyoshi Sagawa and there is a part in there where he stated that when Ueshiba was traveling in the early days and giving his instructions only his immediate students who came with him took ukemi from him, whereas Sagawa states Takeda would let anyone from the class grab him.

Is he implying that Ueshiba didn't let just anyone grab him? One could read this that Ueshiba didn't let himself be really tested - that is if what Sagawa states is true.

thanks,
Ryan
Well, there's Tenryu, of course:

Quote:
I dissolved the Kansai Sumo Association in 1937 and in January of 1938 I went to Manchuria as a physical education instructor. In the spring of 1939 in an effort to spread Japanese martial arts in Manchuria too, we invited Japanese teachers to the country and arranged to have high local officials observe their demonstrations. The arts demonstrated were Kendo, Judo, Kyudo and Aikido. Since the dojo had not yet been completed, we asked the participants to give demonstrations in the dojo of the Chuo Bank.

Ueshiba Sensei brought Mr. (Noriaki) Inoue with him. After they showed some techniques, Ueshiba Sensei said: “You are probably thinking that we cannot possibly do these techniques without some sort of collusion between us. Since you are all martial arts practitioners, if there is a man among you, come and test this old man.” However, no one stepped forward. At 35 I was the youngest among them. I had recently arrived in Manchuria and several government officials were observing the demonstration. I thought that I should test my own ability and said, “Yes, I will try”. Ueshiba Sensei replied: “You are Mr. Tenryu, aren’t you? You too are probably imagining that an old man like me won’t be able to throw you very well. However, budo is much more than what you think it is. He offered his left hand saying it was weaker than his right and continued: “You must be quite strong physically. I am not putting strength into my arm so you can do anything you want with it. Try!”

I thought that this old man was speaking nonsense and slapped his hand down as I grabbed it. But the moment I touched him I was startled. I felt as if I had taken hold of an iron bar. Of course, I knew very well from my experience in Sumo that it would be useless to struggle against him. I immediately knew I had been defeated. However, I couldn’t just leave things like that and attempted to twist his arm up and out. He didn’t move an inch. I tried again with both hands using all my might. But he used my strength against me and I fell down.
Best,

Chris

Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #207
yugen
United_States

excellent! thanks Chris, I've never read that before.

Best,
Ryan
Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #208
TokyoZeplin
Dojo: Seishinkan Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Ryan Schoelerman wrote: View Post
excellent! thanks Chris, I've never read that before.

Best,
Ryan
I don't have a link right now, but you can find it referenced several places:
Shioda Gozo also went up against Ueshiba, his first day of seeing him. As he recalled, he was seeing a demonstration (in Ueshibas dojo I believe), and Ueshiba seemed to notice his disbelief in what was going on. Shioda, then a Judoka, was asked if he wanted to attack (with any attack he preferred). Shioda, thinking that Ueshiba would never expect it from a Judoka, attacked with a kick. He then recalls clashing his head against the wall at the other end of the mat, and signed up the next day to learn Aikido.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #209
MM
United_States

Might be some stuff here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15035
Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #210
yugen
United_States

good stuff!

thanks again,
Ryan