Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-14-2006, 06:51 PM   #101
Gene Skiff
Dojo: The Dojo Washington, PA
United_States
Re: Sensei Steven Seagal's ?

Fat martial artist/actor? Two words....Sammo Hung.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:57 AM   #102
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

http://www.aitenshin.com/images/e_precious_time.html

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 02-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #103
Michael Neal

The Gene Lebell story is legendary and has not been denied by Seagal to the best of my knowledge. The fact that he was abusing members of the crew is a testament to his arrogance and clearly shows how he does not embody the spirit or ideal of Aikido in any way. He deserved to get choked out and relieve himself in his pants in front of everybody on the set.

Then for his defenders to come on here any say that criticising him is un-aiki like is astounding. Seagal should be considered an embarassment to Aikido.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #104
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
OK, so why is it that Seagal's weight almost always comes up, but other instructors with substantial bellys never get mentioned? I can think of any number of senior Japanese instructors who are way beyond Seagal in the belly category, but weight is never mentioned when they are discussed.

Best,

Chris
I am sure that I beat Seagal Sensei in this category... It's my way of lulling my enemies into a false feeling of security. Seriously, if I were to go to combat, my weight would certainly be a problem. It doesn't interfere with my ability to teach what I know. If folks stay away because I am overweight, well, that's their loss. There are all sorts of things folks have against Seagal Sensei which rate alot higher on the serious scale than his weight, I think.
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #105
Counsel

I advise we ignore certain posts as we would certain people on the streat....

Avoiding the 'discussion' and not 'winning the argument' is the victory.

C
aka James Taylor
Old 02-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #106
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
The weak and powerless Michael Neal wrote:
The Gene Lebell story is legendary and has not been denied by Seagal to the best of my knowledge. The fact that he was abusing members of the crew is a testament to his arrogance and clearly shows how he does not embody the spirit or ideal of Aikido in any way. He deserved to get choked out and relieve himself in his pants in front of everybody on the set.

Then for his defenders to come on here any say that criticising him is un-aiki like is astounding. Seagal should be considered an embarassment to Aikido.
Ah, yes... another blubbering post by Mr. Ding Dong...

Once again we have that "special" someone who gets to come along and spout his nonsense You say, "to the best of my knowledge..." - which if we go by only what you wrote shows you only know what you read somewhere or heard third-hand. If we add in what you meant, then you prove yourself as childish as your petty comments. Since the real truth is that you weren't there, "the best of your knowledge.." really doesn't amount to much, does it?

You talk about somebody being arrogant and not the embodiment of Aikido...? Who do you think you are? Well, I will tell you in case the mirror in your bathroom isn't working, "You, sir are truly an a$$."

Old 02-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #107
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
Ah, yes... another blubbering post by Mr. Ding Dong...

Once again we have that "special" someone who gets to come along and spout his nonsense You say, "to the best of my knowledge..." - which if we go by only what you wrote shows you only know what you read somewhere or heard third-hand. If we add in what you meant, then you prove yourself as childish as your petty comments. Since the real truth is that you weren't there, "the best of your knowledge.." really doesn't amount to much, does it?

You talk about somebody being arrogant and not the embodiment of Aikido...? Who do you think you are? Well, I will tell you in case the mirror in your bathroom isn't working, "You, sir are truly an a$$."

Don't hold back; tell us how you really feel.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 02-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #108
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Now thar you go. Don't you see this is exactly why some of us don't become movie stares with hoards of blond hair blue eyed groupies and multi millionaires with mansions on every continent and sports cars and great food with fine wines. Why just the other day someone said Dennis don't you want to become famous and rich and I said NOooo. Then folks is gonna talk bout me. Theys gonna talk bout how I's overweight and loosen my haar and can't spell or talk right. No surreebob you couldn't give me all that money and fame cause folks is gonna talk. I bet old Steve just stays up nights worrying bout whats said here. Sakes alive he's probably wasting away to noth'n not eating nur drink'n because of frett'n over what is said bout him. Sides I got some skeletons in my closet I don't want drug out. I know I'm probably the onlyest one here that ever said something stupid or did something stupid or am vastly ashamed of some things in my life. I think me an old Steve is probably the only two Aikido folks what ever did some really stupid stuff and I ain't going public with mine. So I will just stay poor and relative obscure and maybe folks woun't talk bout me none to much.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 02-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #109
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Don't hold back; tell us how you really feel.
Us? How many people did it take to write your post, James?

Old 02-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #110
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Smile Re: Sensei Steven Seagal's ?

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:

Well I consulted with several of the better looking ones like me and that was the general consensus.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 02-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #111
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:

Just one, but it's already been read by us.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #112
ryback

Quote:
John Piquet wrote: View Post
(sigh) why can't we just all get along?
Some comments aren't even worth responding to, as for the others...

Steven Seagal was already above Dan level when he became head of the Dojo (owned by his wife's father) he was quickly promoted to 5th Dan in consideration for him running the Dojo, he is now 7th Dan promoted by Seiseki Abe, I believe, one of O'Sensei's Uchi Deshi, through Hombu Dojo--Aikikai.
From his website: http://www.stevenseagal.com/aikido.html
His Aikido skills are on the level as any 7th Dan. And yes... he is getting kinda fat... eh, whatcha gonna do? He can always be a "happy buddha".

Seagal has perhaps the best Irimi Aikido. It shows extreme lack of Aikido knowledge to criticize his technique without any substantive or valid points. I have yet to hear a single time that someone had so much venom towards Mr. Seagal that wasn't either a jealous, immature, or lacking in any substantial Aikido techniques.
Aikido is a martial art and should be taught as such. It's not f***$&! dance class. Uses his size?
I would hope so.... but I would watch his technique... ask him yourself, he's had many a smaller Sensei dump him on his butt. I wouldn't use his 'celebrity' persona of any indication of how he is in person.

I think someone needs to practice their ukemi more... perhaps they've fallen too hard.
Hi everybody.I totaly agree,some comments aren't even worth responding to.Steven Seagal sensei has proven his aikido skils through his seminars and his teachings,any mention to his personal life (positive or negative) is irrelevant to this forum and anyway i believe that any claim should come with a proof.It's very easy to target a person whose daily job puts him constantly in the spotlight but we should never forget that Seagal sensei is an Aikido master and he should be treated with respect and not with envy.Therefore, i find your words to be right to the point!If i'm not mistaken Seagal sensei has been promoted to 8th Dan but he hasn't taken the certificate yet.In an interview his comment on this matter was:"We'll see about that".As for the Aikido part of his movies, he is showing the real fighting application of a true martial art,that's all!Sorry if my spelling is a little rusty...
Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #113
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Criticizing his aikido is useless, acting well maybe. 8th dan? I think the aikikai bylaws if I recall correctly requires you to be 65 to be promoted to 8th dan. Although, I'm sure exceptions can be made. I do recall reading that somewhere-not sure where. He's a year younger than I am (I'm 62) so if I'm correct-he's not eligible yet. Abe sensei probably had enough pull to make that happen. I'd be surprised if he was though since he does not do much with aikido anymore-just a few dojos and rarely do I seen any seminars or demos.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #114
jester

United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote: View Post
I think the aikikai bylaws if I recall correctly requires you to be 65 to be promoted to 8th dan.
Is he a member of the Aikikai??

-

-It seems to be all about semantics!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #115
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote: View Post
Is he a member of the Aikikai??

-
I believe the dojo in Osaka is affiliated with the aikikai, but beyond that it's hard to say. If I'm not mistaken Seagal's rank (to some degree) was given when he married into that family.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #116
David Partington
Dojo: Reading Zenshin Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Minimum age for Aikikai 4th dan is 22 years old. I'm sure somewhere on here someone posted the following (but I couldn't find it again)

Godan - minimum 5 years since 4th dan
Rokudan - minimum 6 years since 5th dan
Nanadan - minimum 12 years since 6th dan
Hachidan - minimum 15 years since 7th dan

If this is correct then the minimum age would be 60 years old.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #117
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Yannis Mousoulis wrote: View Post
Hi everybody.I totaly agree,some comments aren't even worth responding to.Steven Seagal sensei has proven his aikido skils through his seminars and his teachings,any mention to his personal life (positive or negative) is irrelevant to this forum and anyway i believe that any claim should come with a proof.It's very easy to target a person whose daily job puts him constantly in the spotlight but we should never forget that Seagal sensei is an Aikido master and he should be treated with respect and not with envy.Therefore, i find your words to be right to the point!If i'm not mistaken Seagal sensei has been promoted to 8th Dan but he hasn't taken the certificate yet.In an interview his comment on this matter was:"We'll see about that".As for the Aikido part of his movies, he is showing the real fighting application of a true martial art,that's all!Sorry if my spelling is a little rusty...
Yannis

Never mind the spelling - good post - I like Seagals Aikido my thoughts on him as a person are irrelevant.

Henry Ellis
British Aikido
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
Old 07-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #118
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Philip Purcell wrote: View Post
I once met a guy who claimed to be a master - he was not ... he just ate all the pies!
Dear Philip,
Would this guys name be Steven Seagal?Cheers, Joe.
Ps I like a few dozen steak and kidney pies myself.My ever expanding waistline is proof of my arduous training regime..I await with bated breath a Menkyo Kaiden certificate in noble art of Pie eating.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #119
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Looking at his Aikido, his style, his application and his ability then I can only admire it.

It's obvious he's a high Dan ranking ability wise.

Regards.G.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #120
Walter Martindale
Canada

Resurrection! The thread is 5 years old...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #121
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Yannis

Never mind the spelling - good post - I like Seagals Aikido my thoughts on him as a person are irrelevant.

Henry Ellis
British Aikido
Dear Henry,
Not often we have conflicting views but on this one,sorry I must disagree with your viewpoint.on Mr Seagals Aikido skills.I base my views on what I have seen on the Net.I discount his choreographic fight scenes in his film work.I do however agree with your second point of Mr Seagal as a person. Cheers, Joe.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #122
ryback

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Yannis

Henry Ellis
British Aikido
Dear Henry Ellis sensei,thank you very much,i'm realy glad you liked my post.My best wishes!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #123
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Henry,
Not often we have conflicting views but on this one,sorry I must disagree with your viewpoint.on Mr Seagals Aikido skills.I base my views on what I have seen on the Net.I discount his choreographic fight scenes in his film work.I do however agree with your second point of Mr Seagal as a person. Cheers, Joe.
I would never attribute skill level to someone based on movies that they appeared in either. Conversely, I would not fail to give someone the respect of the rank that they have earned just because someone has not made any movies either. Saotome sensei and Yamada sensei have not made any movies either but no one questions their rank, abilities or titles. I would look at the Path Beyond Thought excerpts on Youtube where Seagal sensei's Aikido is not choreographed but is actual live footage and see what you think.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #124
Richard Stevens
United_States

Quote:
Jason Rudolph wrote: View Post
I would never attribute skill level to someone based on movies that they appeared in either. Conversely, I would not fail to give someone the respect of the rank that they have earned just because someone has not made any movies either. Saotome sensei and Yamada sensei have not made any movies either but no one questions their rank, abilities or titles. I would look at the Path Beyond Thought excerpts on Youtube where Seagal sensei's Aikido is not choreographed but is actual live footage and see what you think.
One might argue that if uke's attack is predictable or instructed, the interaction is choreographed...
Old 07-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #125
dps

Quote:
Jason Rudolph wrote: View Post
Saotome sensei and Yamada sensei have not made any movies either but no one questions their rank, abilities or titles.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089563/

Masterblaster (1987)

Storyline

The national 'Gotcha' championship brings a variety of queer fellows together. A Vietnam veteran always looking for adventure, a female police officer with a trauma, because she once could not shoot in the right moment, a Japanese martial-arts master always looking for the opportunity to train his skills as well as some people who wish nothing more as to get the 50,000 dollars which await the winner. All in all it could be an exciting weekend, when suddenly the game becomes reality as someone is shooting live rounds.

Yoshimitsu Yamada as Yamada the Japanese martial-arts master.

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.