Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #76
Janet Rosen

Re: Minimal Shoes and My Knee Pain

Quote:
Steven Sashen wrote: View Post
I got rid of all my various knee, leg, calf, shin, ankle pains when I went minimalist (took about 4 weeks until years of pain was gone, never to return).

The VFFs never fit me, and the new rash of "minimalist" shoes are mostly far from it.

I've spent the last 2 years in nothing but bare feet, sprinting spikes or my Invisible Shoes. In fact, last month, I made a few hundred bucks when I sold all my other shoes (including some "minimalist" ones that aren't) on eBay
Cool! I have the kit to make Invisible Shoes but haven't had time. Generally not fond of the feel of things tied on and around foot and ankle. Question: how do you cope with frosty weather and rain?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #77
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
I'm really digging skateboard shoes for a huge decrease in knee and back pain. Airwalk brand, Flip model. Padded nicely, but flat inside. Cheap as shoes can be. And all the 20 something year old guys I work with think the 45 year old fat girl is totally cool. Win.
I've had airwalk step in loafer type shoes, nice and cheap, fit me ok if I drop in a dr scholl insert but can't wear them long or day after day - and it looks like the board shoes are laced. Yes I'm very picky! The Taos way too expensive, not any more comfortable than the aforementioned airwalk so they have been returned and I'm taking with the Soft Star folks about sizing.

Janet Rosen
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #78
Janet Rosen

Ordered my Soft Star ramblers. Fortunately we are having a bout of amazing Indian Summer w/ daytime highs in the 80s so my 5 fingers are in daily service.

Janet Rosen
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #79
lbb
United_States

The Ramblers really are great. The trend of major manufacturers to make something that they call minimalist shoes, not so great. Although I don't speak from personal experience, I can't see this resulting in anything other than compromise, non-minimalist designs and shoddy quality.

Still looking for winter boots...
Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #80
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Week three. Still only wearing them at the restaurant to work. Obviously can't wear Vibrams to the barns. I can't believe how much better I feel physically. I don't remember the last time I felt this good. And for the second week in a row the chiro didn't really have anything significant to do and neither did the massage therapist. I might actually be able to reduce the number of visits I need at last. Someone at work asked me why I was in such a good mood today and I told them it's the magic shoes. Even having to wear regular shoes most of the rest of the time at least I can be in these when I need to be on my feet the most. It has made a big difference.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #81
lbb
United_States

Update on the minimalist shoes: as much as I love my Soft Stars, they're not the shoe for winter in New England. They are comfortable in a surprising range of temperatures (probably due to the fleece insole), but I doubt that range goes down to 10F, a pretty frequent temperature around her in winter. More importantly, they have NO traction on slippery surfaces. Step on ice or snow and you might as well be wearing greased ball bearings on your shoes.

The solution, for now: an old pair of whitewater booties that I haven't worn in probably 10 years. These are designed to be fairly warm (if you're wearing booties, it's because it's COLD out), have good traction on slippery surfaces, and be very very flexible -- you can't stuff 'em in a whitewater boat otherwise. I haven't had the chance to wear them in real cold weather or in snow yet, but II wore them while doing yard chores yesterday, and they definitely pass the "yes, it's a minimalist shoe" test. And cheap, wow. Have a look at the NRS webpage (http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1169) to see the different styles available.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #82
Janet Rosen

Thanks for the update.
I've been wearing Softstar Ramblers since it got too cold for me to be happy in my Vibram Five Fingers.
The Softstars are ok for our weather (overnight lows, between 4 and 6 a.m., can hit mid 20s to low 30s but I'm never out at that hour - it would be rare for me to be outside in weather under 35; rain is more the issue). HOWEVER....
Softstars are minimal shoes in the sense that comfie slippers are. They do not affect my posture in a positive way or reduce my knee pain the way the Vibrams do.
I would say in terms of feel that, if Vibram Five Fingers are like wearing the best possible isotoner glove on your feet, the Softstar is like donning a chenille mitten.

Janet Rosen