Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-29-2003, 08:34 PM   #26
Pretoriano

Dojo: Aikido Santa Fe
Venezuela
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I actually know one MAist whose favorite kiai is based on the scream of a monkey...he constricts the throat to produce it. Doesn't sound beautiful, but he freezes **my** blood with it.RT
----------------------------------------------

That monkey throat sounds are just screaming negative polar sounds... The solid (yang) positive sounds are those that are made it ventrally exteriorizing positive energy through unification.

It is just at the beginning that ones believes that it is used mainly as a surprise factor. At the end should be used as a magnetic procedure with different aplications.

Does somebody knows something that wish to share about the unaudible types of kiai?

Praetoriano

Manuel Chiquito Anderson

Venezuela
Old 10-30-2003, 03:04 PM   #27
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Quote:
It is just at the beginning that ones believes that it is used mainly as a surprise factor. At the end should be used as a magnetic procedure with different aplications.
Ahh, actually, the person in question is highly ranked in aikido and koryu, and spent about 20 years training in japan. I wouldn't classify them as doing anything related to japanese MA as "in the beginning", or "a surprise factor".

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-30-2003, 03:07 PM   #28
Ron Tisdale
United_States
Quote:
Don J. Modesto (Don_Modesto) wrote:
Were you doing that practicing KOSHI GURUMA at Kondo's seminar?

This technique opened up a new avenue of training inquiry for me, actually. I couldn't understand the category "KOKYU" to which Kondo ascribed it: "Aren't they all KOKYU?" I reasoned. I then began playing with the exhalation and stopped stopping it (as you say you do above.) It seemed to make the technique much stronger.
Oops, sorry, missed your post...

Yep, I was sealing there too. Still do, since there are kokyu methods for 'stealing the breath' of your opponant, and strikers can knock the wind out of you if you don't control your breathing. But I'll play around with it a bit, and let you know. Thanks for the tip!

Ron
Old 10-30-2003, 03:15 PM   #29
Ron Tisdale
United_States
Re: Kiai?!

Quote:
Ted Marr wrote:
Really, I'm surprised that any Aikidoka kiai. Well, maybee not surprised, but a little confused/dissapointed.
Oh, that's too bad...
Quote:
While I am not qualified to comment on the veracity of this history,
I can see that...maybe accurate for TKD, but not for aikido...
Quote:
I do know that a kiai causes you to tighten up, at the very least around the diaphram and hara, and usually elsewhere as well.
Well, maybe YOU tighten up when you kiai...please don't assume others do as you do...

Actually, maybe you should do some research, and not just take that teacher's word on it. For instance, watch some film clips of Ueshiba [start with aiki-budo]. You might just be surprised...

Ron
Old 10-30-2003, 07:33 PM   #30
Pretoriano

Venezuela
Ha! Tisdale, I say good for him! my two last post resembles same.

Read this:

I also know that the effects that are produced on the physical plane (area) are similar to those on the mind plane, that means ej. that when you use your mind to create disorder and caos to those around you to indulge egotistical desires, it is the same as if you were screaming at people on the streets...

May sound weird but isnt false.

Research comes in a second place, I learn practising my own kiais and also how strong (spirit) mas people does, youll never hear weak people doing beatiful war sounds, these kiais are for high spirited people.

Praetorian
Old 10-31-2003, 06:50 AM   #31
Ron Tisdale
United_States
Praetorian,
Quote:
indulge egotistical desires
has nothing to do with anything **I've** been talking about...

I actually think it is more egotistical to come on the board and make assumptions about the practice of others...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-31-2003, 07:22 AM   #32
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
I had a teacher in school who had the very annoying habit of asking us to write as if we were explaining our ideas to our 85 year old Aunt Maude. That is, no technical jargon and no expectation that she had a clue as to what we were talking about. Could I trouble (annoy?) you for the same, please?

Would you explain the meaning or the meaning as related to KIAI of the words with an asterisk below (*)?

Thanks.
Quote:
Manuel Ch. Anderson (Pretoriano) wrote:
That monkey throat sounds are just screaming negative* polar* sounds... The solid* (yang) positive* sounds are those that are made it ventrally* exteriorizing* positive* energy through unification*.

It is just at the beginning that ones believes that it is used mainly as a surprise factor. At the end should be used as a magnetic* procedure with different aplications.
negative-

polar-

solid-

positive-

ventrally-

exteriorizing-

unification-

magnetic-

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 10-31-2003, 07:25 AM   #33
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Yep, I was sealing there too. Still do, since there are kokyu methods for 'stealing the breath' of your opponant, and strikers can knock the wind out of you if you don't control your breathing. But I'll play around with it a bit, and let you know. Thanks for the tip!
Thanks, back. I have been pretty narrowly focused on NAGE when playing with the KOKYU/KIAI. I hadn't even considered getting hit during one of those long exhalations. Food for thought (oomph!)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 10-31-2003, 09:44 AM   #34
Ron Tisdale
United_States
An interesting side not[e] on 'toh'...An ex Ki Society instructor I know taught that kiai as a protection against getting hit in the solar plexas. Its typically (yoshinkan and Daito ryu) used while entering with atemi. I've found that strong entries can sometimes get you hit on the way in, and the 'toh' kiai does indeed aid me in recieving blows without any effect (from the blows).

Ron(shite and uke as one)

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 10-31-2003 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:30 PM   #35
Pretoriano

Venezuela
Tisdale no confusion here, I was not trying to adress "indulge egotistical desires"

to YOU but as a general attitude of modern and man in general(but including myself)... no ofense, no apologies, cut the crap please.

I owe you Don Modesto, weŽll have time to discuss on this later, a Northamerican friend of mine gathered the block families all together to celebrate Haloween, I ate too much I guess, I cant think right know...

Tomorrow after karate dojo all day

trainning- shore Ill start the aunt jergon.

Praetoriano
Old 11-02-2003, 09:11 PM   #36
Pretoriano

Venezuela
Yes, people along their lives develop certain relation with earth, I mean our bodies

to earth, this varies from nothing, inconcious relation, to a very strong-concious

work.

The goal from this is not for to wipe peoples butt, but for to gain the base: vitality integration,strenght,stability,equilibrium,

potency,serenity, calmeness, and radiation. Three centers we use for to percieve mental and emotional waves: plexus, heart and upper head. I guess the real base is in the spine, the hara could act as a sintesis center, the solar center should compensate lower forces that exist in every human being (soul, personality), the goal we should aspire as Aikidokas is to take this to the heart, were the real no agression occurs (no fear, no cowardy), were one actively seeks the group armony, the impersonal acts, etc.

So wouldnt be correct to say:

That besides the brain wich percieves through fives senses, there are so called "mini brains" that can act above or below in the wave length.

Negative: pasive, femenine, like food, beverages, the soul, etc.

Polar: extremes, the oposites.

Positive: asociated to the sun, to the breathing, big simpatic, etc

Solid: wel established, not easy breakable

Ventrally: down, down, if you dont aspire to more, you end farting.

Exteriorising: showing, to the outside, positive cuality.

Unification: union, confluence, positive cuality.

Magnetic: related to magnetism, iman.

.-Far from good,I need a dictionary I guess.

.-Feel free to interact

ps: Sorry, but yesterday I have strenght barely enough to take out my clothes.

Praetorian