Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-09-2003, 10:58 AM   #26
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
Peter,

In a former life I learned that a pretty effective way to deal with fast straight jabs was to use a light deflection with the same hand (he strikes right, you deflect with your right) while simultaneously following his striking arm back with your opposite hand to strike him. The advantage of following his arm back is that your strike is done by feel so even if his fist or arm are in your face, you can still find your target. The other advantage of this technique in general is that your instantaneous response to his jab will often cause the attacker's jab to "hang" giving you an opportunity to apply more standard aikido techniques. Obviously you would need to train with this until your response was entirely automatic for it to be truly effective.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:46 PM   #27
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
Do you guys remember the 1968 Olympics? A fellow named Michael Spinks knocked out the Russian in the Gold Medal round with a jab.

Knocked him out. In headgear.

Ten years later I met Tommy Hearns and had the oportunity to watch him train against the number one contender. Let me tell you, the ki was so thick I almost got sick to my stomach - tommy would set his weight on his right leg... the calf muscle would twitch and his opponent's shoulder muscles rippled. Then he would drop his right hand an inch and Tommy's left would raise...a half inch! These were world class athletes and I am not going to insinuate that every boxer is like this, but guys... there is no remorse when people train full contact, every punch, every time.

If you want to train for this, gird your loins. This is what it is all about. If you can take it. BTW I agree with everything Ledyard Sensei says, we both are coming from different places to the same destination.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 06-09-2003, 05:13 PM   #28
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Quote:
Daniel Linden (DGLinden) wrote:
Do you guys remember the 1968 Olympics? A fellow named Michael Spinks knocked out the Russian in the Gold Medal round with a jab.

Knocked him out. In headgear.
Wow, great story, I wasn't aware of that KO. I guess it's easy to underestimate those who don't make a point in "training using ki".... doesn't mean they don't have it.

*Phil

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 06-11-2003, 09:39 AM   #29
Grappler
Quote:
Ken Sparrow (kensparrow) wrote:
Peter,

In a former life I learned that a pretty effective way to deal with fast straight jabs was to use a light deflection with the same hand (he strikes right, you deflect with your right) while simultaneously following his striking arm back with your opposite hand to strike him. The advantage of following his arm back is that your strike is done by feel so even if his fist or arm are in your face, you can still find your target.
YES. Mix it up with hard kicks to the outside thigh and to the inside of the knee of his leading leg as well.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:05 AM   #30
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
Quote:
Andrew Jones (Grappler) wrote:
YES. Mix it up with hard kicks to the outside thigh and to the inside of the knee of his leading leg as well.
NOW you're talkin'! No, wait - must not listen to the siren call of the Dark Side - blend dammit! Blend!
Old 06-13-2003, 12:49 PM   #31
Prometheus72
I have to agree with Sensei Linden. When you step into a boxing ring, you have entered the world of the boxer. Best of Luck, and bring bandages. I learned this the hard way this very week!

As far as outside the ring, I believe no art more facilitates no-nonsense defense than boxing. However, it is limited in scope. Like any other conflict, play the game outside of his scope (comfort zone), and it's now your game. For me, Kotegaeshi feels right. But that's just me.... Suggestions?
Old 06-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #32
ikkainogakusei
Quote:
Sean Randall (Prometheus72) wrote:
For me, Kotegaeshi feels right. But that's just me.... Suggestions?
My sensei taught kotegaeshi as well, but a henka -form of kotegaishi, it worked for me.

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt