Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-16-2002, 04:41 AM   #26
davoravo
Talking Sean Connery used Judo

I started aikido after I picked up a collge kid off the street who had been beaten up for laughs. I'm small so i went for the using te opponents force idea and I had read this book which made aikido sound totally awesome (The Bone People). I chose the dojo I started at because it had a really cool atmosphere.

I kept it up after I realised I wasn't going to become a supa dupa bare handed killer because I loved it - the flow, the feeling of ecstasy after a great lesson. And cause I'm totally obsessive.

David McNamara
Old 07-16-2002, 05:16 AM   #27
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile

Well i started Aikido because my friend was doing it (so much for willpower eh?) and basicaly he loved it said it was well kewl, i've done Karate before but couldnt get into that so when i had my first lesson i instantly loved it how to break this limb or smash this bone and oooh i didnt know you could fly, not to mention in my first lesson we did Yonkyo which really hurt but was really kewl, then i found out we get to use swords and staffs i was over the moon, my two favourate weapons!
when we were younger we used to play robin hood (as you do) running around the forrest making our own bows out of birch wood (i live in a birch wood called Birchwood)and tightly strung stringy stuffs, we would then make staffs and swords from the same material, many finger bashings later and we were quite good at it.
self style sword fighting, cant beat it. or at least me
just got my bokken this weekend as we need it in class, i'm *really* looking forward to class.

but anyhoo thats why i joined cause my m8 said it was kewl and i trust him, and surprise, surprise he was right. (cought me offguard that one)
pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 07-16-2002, 06:22 AM   #28
Fminor

Why Aikido ? you might call it pure luck.
After years for changing hobbies, which all started with great enthusiasm and eventually died silently, I started looking into martial arts.

I went to a Dojo near were I live, there I met Shian.
From the first sight of him - I almost run away shouting.
You see, he is a big man - physically speaking (and now I can honestly say - he is also a great man in all aspects).

Shian said they are teaching both seido-karate and Aikido.
I asked him the difference between these two,
so he called a student to come in the office and showed me 2 techniques how to disable an attacker,
then he asked me if I saw the difference. I said "sure" (it looked exactly the same...).

It was Monday, and Monday was Aikido class.
I stayed for a trial class. I couldn't stop ever since.
Might as well call it love...