Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #26
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: How does this Square, Circle, Triangle relate to Aikido?

Hi George - respectfully, I disagree in this particular case, because I feel that the above information is simply an interpretation, and in my world, inaccurate. I don't care how much it is shrouded in language and mysticism, what is described, for me, doesn't work.

It is very important, as you say, to be aware of the past, so to speak, but when it comes to something like Aikido, Shinto, and spiritual matters, for the most part they are very open to interpretation, and frankly, I trust myself and my life-long experience and involvement more than I trust most other people. In the end, it is philosophy when it is explained, and tricky at best. I have a huge personal history in spirituality, Shamanism, which is what Shinto is at it's heart, and Aikido, and I do not feel that I or anyone else has the patent on any of it, certainly not where I disagree with what is being expoused as "the truth." One can throw around all the Japanese terms one wants to, it doesn't make it any more real. Or sophisticated. Often, it is inflation and obfuscation.

end rant. :-)

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #27
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Larry Novick wrote: View Post
Hi George - respectfully, I disagree in this particular case, because I feel that the above information is simply an interpretation, and in my world, inaccurate. I don't care how much it is shrouded in language and mysticism, what is described, for me, doesn't work.

It is very important, as you say, to be aware of the past, so to speak, but when it comes to something like Aikido, Shinto, and spiritual matters, for the most part they are very open to interpretation, and frankly, I trust myself and my life-long experience and involvement more than I trust most other people. In the end, it is philosophy when it is explained, and tricky at best. I have a huge personal history in spirituality, Shamanism, which is what Shinto is at it's heart, and Aikido, and I do not feel that I or anyone else has the patent on any of it, certainly not where I disagree with what is being expoused as "the truth." One can throw around all the Japanese terms one wants to, it doesn't make it any more real. Or sophisticated. Often, it is inflation and obfuscation.

end rant. :-)
My own experience is, in the end paramount. It is all "inflation and obfuscation" if I can't reality it to some reality of my own. But my starting point is always to look at what has come before and try to understand it. You have thousands of years of development by people on the spiritual quest. There were people who spent every minute of their entire lives working on spiritual matters. That's where all this stuff came from. To ignore it or throw it out because initially I don't understand it, or it seems removed from my experience in the white bread, middle class suburbs of America seems to me the height of arrogance. What are the chances that, I am likely to rediscover, on my own, things that generations of teachers and students took to discover? I look to them first. By doing so it directs my attention towards what I might have missed if I hadn't already been looking. Then, it's all about my own practice and making the knowledge my own, not just something I read somewhere.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #28
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States

I agree, and I do understand all that is written above (the long explanation), frankly. To me, it's generally inaccurate. On the mat, not only in theory. Total practicality.

My starting points have also been what has been before. I don't ignore or throw out anything. I take it in, and test it as best I can. As my Shamanic mentor says:

"Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the Ancient Ones -

seek instead what they sought."

That has been my Lifelong, daily path. I believe that that can work, for some people. Not everyone. Nor should it.

Besides, I haven't eaten white bread in years. Literaly, and figuratively.

:-)

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
My own experience is, in the end paramount. It is all "inflation and obfuscation" if I can't reality it to some reality of my own. But my starting point is always to look at what has come before and try to understand it. You have thousands of years of development by people on the spiritual quest. There were people who spent every minute of their entire lives working on spiritual matters. That's where all this stuff came from. To ignore it or throw it out because initially I don't understand it, or it seems removed from my experience in the white bread, middle class suburbs of America seems to me the height of arrogance. What are the chances that, I am likely to rediscover, on my own, things that generations of teachers and students took to discover? I look to them first. By doing so it directs my attention towards what I might have missed if I hadn't already been looking. Then, it's all about my own practice and making the knowledge my own, not just something I read somewhere.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido