Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #26
Mark Mueller
Re: Police/Military Blade Tactics

Dan, Do you have some pictures of the Kukri's you have made? I would also be interested if anyone knew the history behind these knives.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #27
DH
United_States

Nope
I sold everything I made. I never had to market since I could just bring knives to job sites and cut things and....poof!
I am making a matched set of Kukri for me and my son in a couple of months though. One out of Damascus and one out of high count layered sword steel with a hamon as well a new machete.
I have a beautiful matched set of highly figured Waterbuffalo horns for the grips. I'll try to get someone to do some decent pics and upload them.
I haven't forged in years due to an injury and I am just getting the shop back up.

Dan
P.S. Since they will not be for sale, maybe Jun won't mind if I post the pics on this thread. I can show the steel, then the forged blanks, then the finished blades and the handles and completed knives.

Last edited by DH : 08-02-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #28
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Since they will not be for sale, maybe Jun won't mind if I post the pics on this thread. I can show the steel, then the forged blanks, then the finished blades and the handles and completed knives.
That's a great idea, Dan.

I've seen khukris made in Nepal from the steel of leaf springs. Design and quality vary a lot. It'll be nice to see the forging work with high-quality metal.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #29
DH
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
That's a great idea, Dan.

I've seen khukris made in Nepal from the steel of leaf springs. Design and quality vary a lot. It'll be nice to see the forging work with high-quality metal.
There was nothing wrong with their steel choice...not at all. Spring steel and track steel was fine. It was their heat treat. On their best day...the very best they are capable of..is sub standard to even what average American smith does with the same steel they use. Their heat treat was "good enough" for the softer agricultural all around requirements but it pales in comparison to what they could be doing with the same primitive equipment. They pour water over the bIade which surface hardens it, instead of soaking at heat and quenching in oil or water.
There is just no comparison to the final quality between their methods and the more correct one. Steel is steel, it's no mystery.
I offered to help the owner of Himalayan imports explain a better way to them (this after I showed him four knives I bought and tested all failed) but it came to not due to his health and not going back over there.
We can talk about this over dinner, most budo guys love talking forging and knives.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 08-03-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #30
Mark Mueller

"P.S. Since they will not be for sale, maybe Jun won't mind if I post the pics on this thread. I can show the steel, then the forged blanks, then the finished blades and the handles and completed knives."

Dan, That would be very cool to see the transition into the finished product.