Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #26
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: defeating myself!

bless you ... but its my uke ing skills that are letting me down! ... sigh

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #27
Cleetus
Dojo: White Rose Aikikai
England

Emma, don't worry everyone has trouble with ukeing at some point. I still do, ask nick and steve . As they often say to me all it takes is time, I am sure if you put in the practise and the effort then you will progress. Some people just pick things up quicker then others but it will happen. Remember when u first started and u started taking ukemi some people picked it up after a couple of classes and others look a while longer, its the same thing some people are natual ukes some need to work on it, so don't worry, just keep training and see what happens.

And steve, beating me up eh? Aye its true Oh well its what i train with you for.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #28
Leslie Leoni
Dojo: AKR Martial Arts/Greenville, Texas
United_States

Hang in there Emma - you don't strike me as a timid type! Try reading Lynn's article Creating Internal Resources - it is a good place to start. Keep in mind we are all timid, scared at some point! Just use your mind to overcome the fear and practice to control your movements so they just naturally flow. (without you thinking about them!)
Old 05-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #29
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

im still going. thanks for all the advise guys!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #30
gi_grrl
Dojo: Institute of Aikido Australia
Australia

Surprisingly, I found that I felt less scared after I got hurt a few times. After all, it doesn't hurt forever. Now I just remind myself of that before they start attacking me.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:04 AM   #31
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Keep training. I remember a new girl years ago who was very very skinny and nervous. She used to just cover her head with her hands when attacked and crouch over. After a while she learned to stand upright and extend with her arms, as well as moving off centre line effectively. Lots of simple bokken cutting with moving off centre line (to develop confidence and power in raising your arms and quick reactions). Also, gradually get people to attack you harder and faster until you get used to the fact that you can move easily with the slightest of motions and completely avoid the attack - once you get used to that the power of the attack is irrelevant because you're not there!

Hope this helps

Ian

P.S. that new girl developed into one of the most powerful aikidoka I've seen.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---