Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-19-2004, 10:07 PM   #26
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Thank you, Rev. Furuya!

I agree with Peter and Chris. I never thought that Mr. Furuya was the victim of attacks that warranted the drama that developed as the thread came to an end.

If anyone wants to communicate with him, I suspect he's not that hard to find.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 11-20-2004, 06:13 AM   #27
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Thank you, Rev. Furuya!

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote:
Goldsburysan,
That was very interesting- I wondered how much the differences between American Aikido culture and Japanese Aikido culture impacted the original events we're discussing. Given the unpopular opinion about Americans worldwide, I try on purpose to be overly-respectful of other cultures. Good manners are never a mistake, so if I'm going to be wrong, I'll err on the side of formality. I'm thankful to be at a dojo where ettiquette is stressed, so if I'm training abroad someday, I'll well represent my dojo and sensei.

To the original point- Since my only intention here is to support a person I know is good, I have no attachment to winning. Therefore, I can not lose.

I think it's interesting how this thread is turning out. I'm a recent convert to Aikido and very new to Forumjutsu. What's my next move here- blend and turn? (now where's that smiley face button?)
Well, I have lived in the US only for two years and this was way back in the early 70s. I met Mr Furuya a few years later, at the house of Mr K Chiba in San Diego. (After training, we spent half the night discussing a whole range of very interesting issues, such as aikido enlightenment, aikido organizations, aikido anarchy etc.)

Thus I cannot really pass judgment on whether the dispute related to specifically American culture. Nevertheless, Mr Furuya is a Japanese, whose academic training has been in the US, and who teaches a Japanese martial art, probably in a 'Japanese' way, in the US. I am an Englishman, whose academic training has also been in the US\(in part and at the same institution)\and who teaches a Japanese martial art, probably in a 'western' way, in Japan. So I am acutely aware of the cultural issues he faces and I think I am also able to empathize to some extent.

I understand your desire to support him, but to do this effectively in the context of the issues that were raised, I think you would need to go through these issues. I do not think you need to worry about winning or losing: your support is not in question and I am sure Mr Furuya would appreciate it.

As for Forum-jutsu, are you sure it is not Forum-dou?

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury