Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #26
Lnr
Dojo: Durham, White Rose
Re: extra training

they're not exactly separate i don't think... not by my understanding but that's just a point of view. If you want to be pedantic about it (and i have a feeling you do) fine they are separate but there is huge overlap

Lnr
Old 03-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #27
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Of course we all have a different point of view, thats what makes this such a wonderful varied world etc etc. Pedantic? This is my last regarding this...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #28
Adman

United_States

Quote:
Paul Kozlovskis wrote:
Training without a partner is essentially a dead practice. All you are doing is ingraining a set of motions which will have no bearing on reality the moment you have a partner to train with. Their posture, movement and 'energy' dictate your response, not vice-versa
Then what about aiki taiso or hitori-waza? These are all training without a partner.
Quote:
The point I was trying to make, admittedly not very well, is that while you can train the body to move from A to B to C as per the basic form of a technique, most likely what will happen when training with a partner is that you will try to make them do the same.
Why would it be "most likely?" I for one don't try to make my partner do anything.
Quote:
Because through repetition you have taught your body to move to these positions irrespective of the dynamic relationship between yourself and uke.
Or maybe one has taught their body to move to "these positions" without the burden or anxiety of training with a partner. Your statement certainly doesn't apply to me or many of the people I train with. You can learn to respect the dynamic relationship between yourself and uke when you get back in to the dojo to test your new understanding (or mis-understanding) of the movement.

You are definately the authority on wether or not this approach works best for you. However, you certainly can't disagree with how it works for somone else (well you can disagree, but it would essentially be useless).

thanks,
Adam
Old 03-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #29
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Paul Kozlovskis wrote:
Training without a partner is essentially a dead practice. All you are doing is ingraining a set of motions which will have no bearing on reality the moment you have a partner to train with. Their posture, movement and 'energy' dictate your response, not vice-versa.
K. Ueshiba recommends it in "Aikido: The Master Course." I believe that's the one-- it's like an electric blue color?

I'd suggest giving it some serious effort before shooting it down. I find it extremely beneficial.