Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #26
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Serious injuries or deaths in aikido

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
In that case, how is that less true of breakfalls? Is it just me or aren't rolls so so so so much easier to get right (maybe it just is me... maybe some people find it the other way around?) I've bumped my shoulders and back many times learning to breakfall, and my head at least once, but I don't recall ever having any forward roll related injury.
Your experience is the opposite of mine.

I learned how to breakfall first and was always comfortable with that. Rolls came hard to me and I often left the mat with one or both of my shoulders bleeding.

I don't know of one is more dangerous than the other. The important part is to disburse force. If you dive into your shoulder, that's going to injure something whether you intended a roll or breakfall.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote: View Post
Aside from these, the only injuries I've seen reoccurring on a regular basis were at a dojo where the instructor, perversely in my opinion, demanded that students do standing forward rolls in the first class.
Don, the interesting thing in my survey of acute knee injuries was that out of 101 dojos, 1/2 had NONE but ... well I may as well pull the quote:
"Half of the participating dojo reported NO acute knee injuries in training during the past five years. Fifty one dojo reported a total of 99 persons had experienced acute knee injuries in training. This is 3% of the total respondents; computed on a per-dojo basis the average acute knee injury rate is 4.45%. The figures are virtually identical for men and women.
Those half of the dojo reporting acute knee injuries were divided into three sections for comparison: those with the highest incidence of injuries (determined as those in the 80th percentile, which amounted to 11 dojo), the corresponding number of dojo showing the lowest incidence of injuries, and the remaining number comprising "some injuries."
What is intriguing is that the eleven dojo in the "high incidence" group represent less than 5% of the total adult members being reported on yet account for over 30% of the acute knee injuries. This accounts for the comment by many participating dojo that they really do not perceive knee injuries as a common problem, and raises the question of what, if anything, this group of dojo has in common with each other but not with the rest of the study group."
What I came away with, on the basis of this and on the basis of having been part of a dojo that had a high incidence of injuries, was the belief that there within each dojo culture there is an attitude and related practices that either promote safe training or expect injuries as the norm. Caveat emptor.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #28
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
What I came away with, on the basis of this and on the basis of having been part of a dojo that had a high incidence of injuries, was the belief that there within each dojo culture there is an attitude and related practices that either promote safe training or expect injuries as the norm. Caveat emptor.
That certainly seems to tie in with the original article...