Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #26
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Last direct students of O Sensei?

Shizuo Imaizumi still teaching M-F in NYC. Annual Seminars usually in Albuquerque.
www.shinbudokai.org
Old 01-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #27
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai

Yamada Sensei is still very active.

Avery Jenkins
Author of Dark River, to be released in Oct. 2020
www.averyjenkinsauthor.com
Old 01-22-2020, 05:54 AM   #28
Bernd Lehnen
Germany

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
This is to echo Carl Thompson's post. I remember a certain shihan (who had better remain nameless) whose classes I used to attend, stating that he was an uchi-deshi of O Sensei. Of course, I believed him, but later, when I moved to Japan and talked to many others who had practised "directly" under Morihei Ueshiba, I found that his statement needed some qualification. Especially since Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba stated to me quite definitely that there were no postwar uchi-deshi of Morihei Ueshiba and that he himself did not have any uchi-deshi at all.

Of course, uchi-deshi can be quite narrowly defined, but it was used to make a clear distinction between some students and others, all of whom could legitimately claim to be "direct" students of Morihei Ueshiba. Presumably the accepted Japanese word for 'direct student' is deshi 弟子 and if you work back from 1969, when Morihei Ueshiba died, I suspect that there are many still alive in Japan.
When I consider that apparently even his grandson, Moriteru Ueshiba, does not claim to be a direct student of OSensei, but to having been essentially led and formed by his father Kisshomaru, I find that very honest and utterly honorable.

Best,
Bernd
Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #29
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

'Direct student' does not really convey the nuances of the term 'deshi', especially when this term is often supplemented by 'uchi' and 'soto'. So, for example, as a university professor, I have had many students and, of course, they were 'direct' students. I taught them directly and supervised their master and doctorate theses. But they were not 'deshi' and never followed the traditional Japanese pedagogical pattern of SHU-HA-RI.

'Uchi' indicates that the students lived in the same house as the master and shared his (or her) life directly. This might have been possible in Iwama, but it was no longer possible at the Hombu after the war, when the dojo was torn down and replaced by the present dojo, with the adjoining residence for the Doshu. This was done by Kisshomaru Doshu. 'Soto desh'i is a recognized term for a 'direct' student who does not live in the master's house.

A related concept would be iemoto, which denotes a family lineage (in this case, the Ueshiba family). Kisshomaru hated this term and gently chastised me once when I used it. However, the present Doshu often uses the term.

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #30
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Hello Dan,

He said that in an interview for a Russian group. They translated their questions into English, I translated into Japanese, then Isoyama Sensei responded in Japanese, which I translated back into English and that got translated into Russian. There is a video of it out there somewhere, but I'm afraid I don't have the link.

This is part of the transcript I gave them so that they could make subtitles:

Regards

Carl

PS:

That picture is actually koa Kimura Sensei from Hawaii with o Sensei at the aikido of Honolulu dojo in 1961. Not Isoyama Shihan....but he was a tough old school guy also....

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 01-28-2020, 03:54 AM   #31
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
That picture is actually koa Kimura Sensei from Hawaii with o Sensei at the aikido of Honolulu dojo in 1961. Not Isoyama Shihan....but he was a tough old school guy also....
Dear Jamie,

I didn't intend to imply that the picture was of Isoyama sensei. If you look earlier in the thread, you'll see that my PS, as well as the Isoyama quote, are in response to a question about whether O-sensei took ukemi. They are two separate sources. I didn't actually know the identity of the fellow in the photo, so thank you for the information.

Regards

Carl
Old 01-28-2020, 03:58 AM   #32
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Dear Jamie,

I didn't intend to imply that the picture was of Isoyama sensei. If you look earlier in the thread, you'll see that my PS, as well as the Isoyama quote, are in response to a question about whether O-sensei took ukemi. They are two separate sources. I didn't actually know the identity of the fellow in the photo, so thank you for the information.

Regards

Carl
Ah sorry my apologies. The context was misunderstood.

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 11-18-2021, 06:11 AM   #33
Mark Harrington
Dojo: Aikido Arnis of Farmville
United_States

Quote:
James Frankiewicz wrote: View Post
Add to the list:
Robert Nadeau (California Aikido Association)
Roy Suenaka (Wadokai Aikido)
Shuji Maruyama (Kokikai Aikido)
Gaku Homma (Aikido Nippon Kan / A.H.A.N.)
Robert Frager
Walther von Krenner (Kalispell Aikido; Kalispell, MT, USA)
Yutaka Kurita (Mexican Aikido Association / Kurita Juku Aiki)
Roy Suenaka passed away in January of 2020. His memorial service was held in Charleston, S.C. where his dojo is located.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #34
Bernd Lehnen
Germany

Quote:
Markus Rohde wrote: View Post
Katsuaki Asai.

He studied in Hombu Dojo from1955 to 1965. He is teaching seminars mainly in Germany, but also in Poland, Hungary, Switzerland, Italy and France.

In this years O Sensei was teaching regularly in Tokio, but they never knew when he would come or leave.
At a time when very many others were posing as uchi-deshi, Asai strictly rejected this term for himself. He said to me that if you wanted to think in that direction at all, then he'd see himself rather as soto-deshi.

It would not have been necessary for him to be "uchi", as he then lived very close to the old wooden building of the former Kobukan, the Ueshiba Dojo in Wakamatsu-cho. So, even as a young pupil, starting aikido at the age of 13, he was able to practice intensively with the grown-ups there every day.
You had to persevere first.
No wonder, that he became such a strong character and exceptional teacher.

Best,
Bernd
Old 12-25-2021, 01:34 AM   #35
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Quote:
Bernd Lehnen wrote: View Post
At a time when very many others were posing as uchi-deshi, Asai strictly rejected this term for himself. He said to me that if you wanted to think in that direction at all, then he'd see himself rather as soto-deshi.

It would not have been necessary for him to be "uchi", as he then lived very close to the old wooden building of the former Kobukan, the Ueshiba Dojo in Wakamatsu-cho. So, even as a young pupil, starting aikido at the age of 13, he was able to practice intensively with the grown-ups there every day.
You had to persevere first.
No wonder, that he became such a strong character and exceptional teacher.

Best,
Bernd
He told us once that he was regularly used by O Sensei for ukemi, sometimes to the point where he could barely get up. I also heard him say in public that he was never uchi-deshi and that it would be disrespectful to the actual uchi-deshi because their lives were much harder than his because of how hard they worked.

Asai Sensei is an absolutely brilliant aikido teacher.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:15 AM   #36
MRoh
Germany

Quote:
Bernd Lehnen wrote: View Post
The exact term he uses is kayo no deshi, a student who doesn't sleep in the dojo, but trains every day.
It was the same like Tada Sensei, but Tada Sensei was in the dojo every day from morning until evening, and trained as much as the uchi-deshis. That's why he had the same status.