Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-30-2001, 05:10 PM   #51
Jim23
That's funny.
Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 03-31-2001, 01:21 AM   #52
JimmyC
Dojo: None, unfortunately, but I'm searching!
does anyone think there might be a connection to Ki energy and mental abilities, such as telepathy or anything like that? I personally know that Dragon Ball Z-like Ki energy does not exist (though it would be great if it did), but the existence of personal Ki energy is something I believe in. Ki can be used to block out pain, increase your focus, and things like that. Does anyone think that adrenaline and Ki are connected in any way at all? I would love to see some of the responses.

Jim

Ultimately ALL knowledge is Self-Knowledge.
Old 03-31-2001, 12:31 PM   #53
mj
Hi, look, I know this isn't really to do with the posts, but I read it from the posts by Anubis Gohan...

"Do Not despise the snake for it has no horns for one day it may become a dragon"

That's from an old chinese TV series (NOT Monkey!) that they used to show, Lin Chung and all his mates doing mad 'wire-frame' fighting and stuff like that.

Does anyone remember what it's called. It's killing me.

Old 03-31-2001, 02:54 PM   #54
mj
It's Ok... I've got it, The Water Margin. Sorry about that.

Old 03-31-2001, 10:14 PM   #55
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
people you do amazing things with your ki right now!! you use life force to breath and walk. that is why O Sensi said if you can walk you can do Aikido. your movement is directly connected to you ki because ki is what keeps you alive. yes Star wars made it look like only those of the Jedi can use Ki ( erm the Foce!!) but the fact is if we all tried to devolpoe our ki power and consintration we can to move objects. I have not seen this yet but I have seen some other amazing stuff like that. Ki is In all and all do mericals with it everyday !! My opion

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 04-01-2001, 03:46 AM   #56
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
Quote:
Nick wrote:
[B
Ki isn't like kinetic energy or adrenaline-- it can't be taught or really even explained, only experienced...

Nick [/b]
oh nonsense. It most certainly can be explained. and it doesn't require a mystical, magical, fantastical explination either.

"A mind is like a library. Much more useful when open"

[Edited by crystalwizard on April 1, 2001 at 03:51am]

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror
Old 04-01-2001, 03:52 AM   #57
crystalwizard
Quote:
JimmyC wrote:
does anyone think there might be a connection to Ki energy and mental abilities, such as telepathy or anything like that? I personally know that Dragon Ball Z-like Ki energy does not exist (though it would be great if it did), but the existence of personal Ki energy is something I believe in. Ki can be used to block out pain, increase your focus, and things like that. Does anyone think that adrenaline and Ki are connected in any way at all? I would love to see some of the responses.

Jim
You watch too much TV.

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror
Old 04-01-2001, 05:43 AM   #58
Nick
United_States
Quote:
crystalwizard wrote:
Quote:
Nick wrote:
[B
Ki isn't like kinetic energy or adrenaline-- it can't be taught or really even explained, only experienced...

Nick
oh nonsense. It most certainly can be explained. and it doesn't require a mystical, magical, fantastical explination either.

"A mind is like a library. Much more useful when open"

[Edited by crystalwizard on April 1, 2001 at 03:51am] [/b]
Ok then-- could you please explain it for me?

Nick
Old 04-02-2001, 02:12 AM   #59
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Ki Symbol Ki

Quote:
Nick wrote:
...Ok then-- could you please explain it for me?

Nick
Maybe the answer is under your nose, or at least on this website. See The Value of Ki Study by Simcox Sensei.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 04-02-2001, 04:24 AM   #60
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Re: Still

Quote:
Anubis Gohan wrote:
Still is there any way... and yet if not will somewone teach mne your own ki devolpment ways?
Ask somebody to show your Kokyo-ho. There. That's a ki development exercise.

andrew
Old 04-02-2001, 07:23 AM   #61
Dall Star
Dojo: Not sure about name
Maybe I'm repeatiing after someone...

Well - I guess that I'm telling something that many people said before. But anyway I will tell it again .

I think that learning techniques in Aikido is just a way to lear how to user your Ki. I beliefe that Aikido without training a Ki is like sharping the stick with plastic knife instead of steel knife. Well... unfortunately there is no Ki training in my Dojo so I'm unable to verify my thoughts...

So - if any one of you have any experiences with Ki training please give me a sign.

Grateful in advance
Dall Star

Forever young...
Old 04-02-2001, 01:09 PM   #62
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Maybe I'm repeatiing after someone...

Quote:
Dall Star wrote:
...So - if any one of you have any experiences with Ki training please give me a sign.

Grateful in advance
Dall Star
A sign like this?

If you're also interested in Ki, you can check out The Chicago Ki Society Annex

[Edited by tedehara on April 2, 2001 at 08:47pm]

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 04-02-2001, 01:53 PM   #63
crystalwizard
Too many people...

are in the 'mystic wannabe' class. The first step to actualy learning how to use 'ki' or 'chi' or however you want to spell it is to get your head out of the clouds and stop daydreaming. The second step is to stop desperately wanting that knowledge so badly. Untill you acomplish those two steps, nothing anyone says or does to explaine anything will get through to you.

Someone mentioned an article that the late George Simcox Sensei wrote in the archives. Others have posted rather mundane answers...but the wannabe's out there will ignore all that ...looking instead for the flashy, hollywood inspired answer.....and never see what's right in front of their face.

Those people the con artists have a field day with...dont be one of them.

[Edited by crystalwizard on April 2, 2001 at 01:56pm]

Old 04-03-2001, 09:48 AM   #64
Anubis Gohan
Dojo: looking
Mistaken

just because i am young dosent mean i am not philisofical i think that gorge lucas didnt meant to think of kibut of teleknesisyour just over thinking i. and i do belive ki is mixed with teleknesis to perform dragonball z ish type things.
-Brad Cook

"Do Not despise the snake for it has no horns for one day it may become a dragon"
-Some Book I Found In The Libary
Old 04-03-2001, 10:00 AM   #65
akiy

Re: Mistaken

Quote:
Anubis Gohan wrote:
i do belive ki is mixed with teleknesis to perform dragonball z ish type things.
-Brad Cook
I remember a story told by George Simcox sensei who was at the dinner table with Koichi Tohei sensei when a reporter asked Tohei sensei if he could move (if I remember correctly) a salt shaker across the table with his "ki." Tohei sensei smiled and said, "Why, of course!" Tohei sensei then reached out with his hand, picked up the salt shaker, and put it down across the table.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-03-2001, 12:28 PM   #66
"Guest_779"
IP Hash: 003c2fbc
Anonymous User
Ki Symbol Re: Too many people...

Quote:
crystalwizard wrote:
Others have posted rather mundane answers...but the wannabe's out there will ignore all that ...looking instead for the flashy, hollywood inspired answer.....and never see what's right in front of their face.

Well put.
Old 04-03-2001, 12:32 PM   #67
"Guest_779"
IP Hash: 003c2fbc
Anonymous User
Ki Symbol

Quote:
JimmyC wrote:
.....the existence of personal Ki energy is something I believe in. Ki can be used to block out pain, increase your focus, and things like that. Does anyone think that adrenaline and Ki are connected in any way at all? I would love to see some of the responses.

Jim
I think you're right on track. Keep searching and you will find out.
Old 04-08-2001, 09:03 AM   #68
Anubis Gohan
Dojo: looking
I still think i am right

i Still think i am right
-Brad Cook

-Some Book I Found In The Libary
Old 04-08-2001, 09:39 AM   #69
Nick
United_States
So then why do you continue to come if you're right and we're all wrong?

Also, George Lucas has said in many interviews that "The Force" was based off of the Eastern philosophy of ki/chi/prana, and thought this isn't verified, I believe he practiced aikido for a little bit.

I'm not ruling it out, because I believe that nothing is impossible... I just think it's extremely unlikely...

Nick

Old 04-18-2001, 08:32 AM   #70
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Anubis you just proved Crystalwizard right.

If you think you have the answers then why come here? We are Aikido practitioners. That means most of us here practice aikido in the real world and deal with ki in the proper perspective and context.

I you want to learn about ki study aikido, Tai Chi, Chi Kung, etc.

You can theorize and hypothesize all you want, but you won't get the depth of understanding you wish until you commit yourself to real training.

Anne Marie
Old 04-18-2001, 09:15 AM   #71
mle
Dojo: The Dojo (www.the-dojo.com
How do you get Ki?

My instructor back in Texas came from a branch of Ki Society aikido called Seidokan.

He told me ki was transferred to you from your instructor via sweat.

*grinning*

mle

Old 04-18-2001, 11:25 AM   #72
Aikidoka2000
Dojo: SEIDOKAN
Here here!

Although that IS kinda gross..
haha!
-Tom

-When two blades cross points,
There's no need to withdraw.
The master swordsman
Is like the lotus blooming in the fire.
Such a person has inside of them
A heaven soaring spirit.
- Tozan Ryokan
4th verse on the 5 ranks
Old 04-18-2001, 11:50 AM   #73
Aikidoka2000
Dojo: SEIDOKAN
This is for Kelly A.K.A. Crystal Wizard:
Something to ponder:
With respect to KI.
You seem to refute that which is called mystical or magical and it would seem
that you are a believer in cold hard, provable facts, and therefore dismiss all
others as fallacies. I don't blame you, in fact, given the common mindset, it
makes sense and it quite logical and understandable.
However:
When we state that there are no things which are "Mystical and Magical"
Perhaps one may not observe one large point:
Is not the very nature of a human existence and life THE most mystical and
magical thing in itself?
Allow me to define that.
We can say, Oh, there is nothing mystical and magical about life, it can be
explained by natural science, i.e.,
Biological processes
Molecular processes with respect to DNA. Atomic, subatomic and quantum
particles and their relationship to one another.

So then I submit that if a human in nothing more that a collection of cells, then
DNA, then molecules, the atomic particles, then quantum particles
Then, what is beyond this?
We break it down, down, down, to the beyond the quantum level where science
and logic and cold hard facts fail us.
So in our search to find the answers, we find more questions.
For all that we DO know as humans, this is only a tiny particle of truth.
I submit to you that the very nature of ALL existence on the Macro and Micro
levels are indeed Mystical and enigmatic and yes, even at times magical.
It would be supremely arrogant state that these are not so.
To argue otherwise is to claim ultimate wisdom.
Don't you agree?
-Tom

-When two blades cross points,
There's no need to withdraw.
The master swordsman
Is like the lotus blooming in the fire.
Such a person has inside of them
A heaven soaring spirit.
- Tozan Ryokan
4th verse on the 5 ranks
Old 04-18-2001, 12:51 PM   #74
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi
As others have mentioned, look into chi kung (qiqong) in particular for some good exercises that will develop things.

The things that I have found particularly valuable are variations on standing stake (literally just standing still with knees slightly bent and your arms in various postures). A good book on this is "The Way of Energy : Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength With Chi Kung Exercise"
by Lam Kam Chuen.

There are others that are also good.

As to what you can do with ki, then opinions vary (to say the least!).

For example, I have seen in person Rich Mooney demonstrate "ki at a distance" - the ability to move people without touching them (there are mpegs on the web for those interested). How much do I believe what I saw I'm still not sure. However he was quite clear that it doesn't work on everyone anyway - some are more susceptible than others. So you might ask what is the point? Especially as he talks about doing a similar exercise to standing stake for a period of 3 years building up to 3 hours per day in order to develop the abilities. Not many people have the desire or lifestyle to attempt such things - I certainly don't.

However on a much lower level I do believe that I can generate energy which I chose to call ki and transmit this into other people's bodies. An exercise which I am working is on is for someone to grasp my wrist and for me to establish a "connection" between my centre and theirs. I can tell (and this is usually confirmed by the other person) when the energy has reached their elbow, their upper arm, their shoulder, and finally down through the torso to their centre. This process takes varying amounts of time, usually 30 seconds to a couple of minutes.

The connection makes my techniques work better.

What I am working on is shortening this process.

The interesting thing is that my techniques work better if I attempt this sort of connection at any speed (especially if done at normal speed), even if I never establish it.

I also find that there are (a few) teachers who can establish a similar connection with me without touching me. If I am around them, and certainly if I shape up to attack them, then I have this feeling they are already in contact. This connection is a number of things on many levels, rather than the "move at a distance".

Anyway, I have rambled long enough - it is not surprisingly something I find interesting.

Robert
p.s. I have met lots of aikido practitioners who demonstrate various levels of what I would call ki - so it isn't just something that comes from chi kung.
Old 04-18-2001, 01:06 PM   #75
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Circle the nature of human life...

Is indeed an amazing thing. I believe that the Mystic's view and the Physicist's view of the universe are one and the same. They just follow different paths. The Mystic goes by intution where they Physicist goes by science. But both of these people still deal with things in the real world.

Mysticism is a good thing for people who are on a dedicated path, but taking that mysticism and then saying you can float objects or make fire balls with ki is taking it one step to far. And then just some how trying to discover that ability over the interent with out practicing any ki based art is pretty absurd.

Skepticism forces people to look at things as they really are and keeps us from getting to caught up in fantasy. A healthly dose of it is good for people, too.

But a Mystic without some Skepticism or a Skeptic without some Mysticism would definently be losing out as I believe that a balance of each is what is needed.

So to Anubis and those like him, you can have your dreams and want to believe in ki, just in your search realize ki may not be exactly what you think it to be. (I believe in ki, I just don't believe it does what you think it does) And if you want these magnificant results you dream of, they won't come over night. They come after dedicated practice of many years. And maybe by that time the magnificance of what you find is the beauty of life itself not making fireballs or levitating objects that you find in the media.

Take Care,
Anne Marie Giri

Last edited by giriasis : 04-18-2001 at 01:10 PM.