Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-08-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 8, 2002:

Do you know anyone at an advanced level in aikido who has never taught aikido in any formal capacity?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:07 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Loaded question.

What's advanced? Yondan?

What's a formal capacity? Taught regular classes or any class?

With us, if you are a deshi you teach classes.

I know one person who's yondan that I think has never taught a class. But then I have not been around long enough to know.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-09-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
let's unload that thar question.

If we were to unload that question, I guess you had better take a deep breath, drop your caste system attitude and take this in.

It would have to be ...

Someone who has a pretty good knowledge of the pillars of Aikido.

Someone who has learned to use less strength and find the mystical forces of Ki, which are really a set of mind sets along with proper body motions.

Someone who can give you hints and clues about the variations and techniques of Aikido without being stuck in the mode of only imparting what his teacher taught him/her, and his/her teacher taught him/her, and his teacher taught him/ her, and so on, so on, so on.

Someone who can tie together the various tecniques of Aikido in the form of transition but merely practices in class without teaching on a formal basis.

Someone, who may not have rank, but has practiced with many teachers third dan to shihan level.

Someone who asks teachers not to be gentle when doing techniques in practice, but please don't go crazy either.

Someone ... Someone ... well ...

If you are reading this...

that would be me.

So, I guess you will have to put a yes down to the question if you have read this, because you have just met someone who can connect all these things, and can explain many things, but still does not teach, nor do I have any desire to formally teach Aikido in any capacity.

Now, if you want to learn how we misuse many of the basic karate and jujitsu movements in a much softer method for Aikido, I can do that ... but I propably won't.

Most of you barely understand Aikido.

I am just getting a handle on the jigsaw puzzle ... so, no teaching ... just clues on how you can find the puzzle pieces.

Now, go change your answer to yes, if you haven't already?

(If you are not chuckling, you have no sense of humor. We should work on that too.)
Old 12-09-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Peter,
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
What's advanced? Yondan?

What's a formal capacity?
All I can say is: the questions asked in the polls are not always objective...

As for the questions you asked, we all know that rank is not a "perfect" indicator of progress in the art. I'd rather hear what you (or others) feel if the poll question matched your definition fo "advanced."

Likewise with "formal capacity." What would you consider to be someone who has served the formal role of "sensei"?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-09-2002, 11:18 PM   #5
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
AikiWeb System wrote:
AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 8, 2002:

Do you know anyone at an advanced level in aikido who has never taught aikido in any formal capacity?
All the time, but that's in Japan. The infrastructure overseas isn't built up that much yet in most places, so someone training for a while almost always gets pressed into teaching. Around here it's not unusual to run into folks who have trained 30 or 40 years but have never taught formally. The same parallel probably holds true for most Japanese arts here and abroad.

Best,

Chris

Old 05-03-2004, 07:00 AM   #6
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
Re: Poll: Do you know anyone at an advanced level in aikido who has never taught aikido in any formal ca

The answer is yes, I have. And I have always felt that promotion to senior rank (5th dan and above) should be predicated on the levels that you have brought students up to. No one should ever be promoted to rokudan (for example) who has never started a beginner at white belt and taken him or her all the way up to sandan.

I can hear people thinking "waaayyyyy harsh!" but that's just me. Yondan is, or should be contingent on contribution as well, I believe, but again, that's just me. And as long as I'm burying myself, I'll go a bit further and say that godan and above should also be reserved for those who put their butts on the line and go out and create their own dojos. That's where real commitment begins - when you write that first check for $15,000.00 for a down payment or sign a lease.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 05-03-2004, 09:55 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Poll: Do you know anyone at an advanced level in aikido who has never taught aikido in any formal ca

Quote:
DGLinden wrote:
I can hear people thinking "waaayyyyy harsh!"
Yeah, but then I think "Yeah, you tell it!" and find myself agreeing with you. Luckily for me I'm a loooooong way from that myself.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #8
gibsonsensei
Dojo: Tupelo Aikikai
United_States

I totally agree with Mr. Linden. I live in Tupelo Mississippi. I refer to Mississippi as the Aikido Wastelands. There are only 6 Aikido Dojo's in the state with four different styles.

I have never seen a Aikido Dojo where senoir students have never taught class when sensei was sick or taking a break. I have seen senoir students in this area who have high rank and good technique who dont get the opportunity to be the primary teacher for beginners and bring them through the ranks. They instead are not allowed to start beginners or have their own classes and therefore their teaching skills dont grow as they should.

William Gibson
Old 05-03-2004, 06:23 PM   #9
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

I don't know: this all seems a little narrow-minded.
Why does a business loan make you a better aikidoka?
Peter Rehse was saying that there are people with half a lifetime's aikido under their belt who don't teach. Does that devalue their aikido? Who are we to say?

I have trained under a 6th dan who takes every class, well or sick.
There are several 3rd dans there who have never taught a class.
But they are always helping juniors and in the last few years have brought many through to shodan and now higher. They are always training with them before & after class & are showing them things.

Who's to say that their aikido is less worthy than the equivalent 3rd dan (or the green 2nd dan whose sensei says "right, time to open your own dojo to spread the word") who has people call him sensei?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
Byron
Dojo: Garden State Aikikai

Not everyone should be teaching. Teaching is special. If you suck as a teacher then your students may suck, unless they think to seek out someone else on the side.
You may understand aikido and may be good at it but that doesn't man you can teach it. It's like any thing else. Just because I can speak english doesn't mean I can teach it in grammar school.