Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
justin
United Kingdom
doshu heading to wales

http://www.doshu.co.uk/

looking forward to this big time
Old 04-29-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: doshu heading to wales

I'll be there on the Saturday, tickets already purchased

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

I've been informed that I owe my instructor money so I assume this means I'm going.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
AnhXanh
Dojo: Oslo Aikido Dojo
Norway

Is he coming because of some anniversary or some other special occasion or is it "just" a seminar?

Erik
Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Suru
United_States

That's great that the Doshu is traveling all the way to Western Europe, even though I don't think GB truly considers itself part of Europe. It's amazing that O'Sensei's son, and now even his grandson, have accepted the difficult position of Doshu. Often I think that a son should do something different from his father, because despite some shared genetics, he is a different person. But when it comes to the Founder's lineage, I honor the sort of "Le roi est mort, vive le roi" mentality through genealogy. As far as I know, nobody forced the position of extreme responsibility onto Kisshomaru or Moriteru. I say, "as far as I know" only because I haven't heard differently. If anyone has, please let me know. It would change my knowledge of history, but not my level of respect. Clearly, they both took their fathers' position seriously and are excellent teachers and promoters of Aikido. Maybe I'll meet them someday if I can get myself out of Florida!

Drew
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Suru
United_States

I mean, meet Moriteru Doshu in this live, and who knows, maybe so many other great souls in an afterlife!

Drew
Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
As far as I know, nobody forced the position of extreme responsibility onto Kisshomaru or Moriteru. I say, "as far as I know" only because I haven't heard differently. If anyone has, please let me know. It would change my knowledge of history, but not my level of respect. Clearly, they both took their fathers' position seriously and are excellent teachers and promoters of Aikido. Maybe I'll meet them someday if I can get myself out of Florida!

Drew
Hello Drew,
Well, there is force and force. I am sure no one physically compelled Kisshomaru or Moriteru to become Doshu, but the moral pressure was/is there all the time. Now Mitsuteru has begun learning to become the fourth Doshu. When Kisshomaru died, I remember thinking, "Moriteru's awfully young and inexperienced", but he was elected Doshu by the Board of Directors of the Aikikai, who also formally elected Kisshomaru in 1969. I would think there were no dissenting votes.

Actually, Moriteru has grown into the position. I have known him for a long time before he became Doshu and he has matured, learning how to be a 'benevolent Emperor', who speaks only at the right moment. However, there are some who feel he is merely 'minding the shop', but I believe his maturing process has also enabled him to see all the issues concerning modern aikido and also to see which of these he is capable of dealing with and which he is not.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Suru
United_States

I can imagine the social pressure. We'd have to come pretty close to insanity to be able to feel Col. Kurtz's "freedoms" in Apocalypse Now. To Captain Willard: "Have you ever experienced any real freedoms? Freedom from the opinions of others...even from the opinions of yourself?"

Drew
Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 AM   #9
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Erik Vanem wrote: View Post
Is he coming because of some anniversary or some other special occasion or is it "just" a seminar?

Erik
I believe that the history is as follows.

The British Aikido Federation (and, I suspect, the UK Aikikai too) have been trying to arrange a visit by Doshu to the UK for a little while, as he has not been here for something like fifteen years now. The BAF particularly wanted him to come, as Kanetsuka Shihan will be 70 at the end of this year and wanted to mark the occasion. I have heard that the Aikikai (probably including Doshu himself) have become impatient and frustrated with the lack of harmony between various of the five Aikikai-recognised organisations in the UK, and at their suggestion a meeting was arranged last year at which all five groups signed a formal invitation for Doshu to visit and give a jointly-organised course here. The weekend in Cardiff next year is the result.

I have registered for the weekend - it should be a great course.

Alex

Last edited by Alex Megann : 07-15-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post

The British Aikido Federation (and, I suspect, the UK Aikikai too) have been trying to arrange a visit by Doshu to the UK for a little while, as he has not been here for something like fifteen years now. The BAF particularly wanted him to come, as Kanetsuka Shihan will be 70 at the end of this year and wanted to mark the occasion. I have heard that the Aikikai (probably including Doshu himself) have become impatient and frustrated with the lack of harmony between various of the five Aikikai-recognised organisations in the UK, and at their suggestion a meeting was arranged last year at which all five groups signed a formal invitation for Doshu to visit and give a jointly-organised course here. The weekend in Cardiff next year is the result.

Alex
Hi Alex

did you get tickets or just an acknowledgement? I've paid but not had tickets - I'm assuming my name is on the list and I am getting in..

Regards

D
Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
David Maidment
United Nations

Daren: you should get an e-mail confirmation (it'll appear as a 'dispatch notification') after you've paid and sent off the form. No actual tickets are being distributed.

I booked my place a couple of months ago, and I know that a few other people from our club are going. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
AnhXanh
Norway

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post

Alex
Dear Alex,

Thanks for the explanation. Last year, I remember some rumors that Doshu would be coming to the BAF 40-year anniversary in Chester, but that did obviously not happen. Anyway, I hope this will lead to more harmony in the UK and I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully, I will be there too, but I have to postpone the final decision until I am sure my calendar is open that weekend. (unfortunately, direct flights from Oslo to Bristol has ceased so Cardiff might be tricky to get to as well, meaning I might need a couple of extra days for traveling back and forth). But I'll surly try to make it, and perhaps we'll get the chance to meet next year.

Erik
Old 07-17-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Maidment wrote: View Post
Daren: you should get an e-mail confirmation (it'll appear as a 'dispatch notification') after you've paid and sent off the form. No actual tickets are being distributed.

I booked my place a couple of months ago, and I know that a few other people from our club are going. I'm really looking forward to it.
This is the response I got from the organisers ...

"The tickets will not be sent out by post they will be there for collection at the seminar itself. Entry to the dojo will be by a ticket which will be available for all those who have paid on the day. If you are coming for the whole weekend they will be ready for collection on the Friday, or if you have just booked for certain days they can be collected on that day. Tickets for entry to the buffet, if booked, will also be given at the seminar.

Hope this assists."

I have paid for all the days and buffet, looking forward to it
Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
Patrick Hutchinson

(For those who remember Python's Big Red Book)

I think it more likely that Doshu is going to test for his 2nd Dai, leek-coloured belt in Llap-Goch
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

I have a friend who has a ticket to the buffet for sale. PM me and I will put you in touch ...

Phil
Old 05-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
AnhXanh
Norway

I'll be going with a rental car from Heathrow on Thursday evening and returning on Sunday. There seem to be one or two empty seats, so anyone who needs a ride can get in contact.

Erik