Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #26
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: rolled-up sleeves

I just cut my sleeves off mid forearm so I don't have to roll them up . Keeps them from getting grimy.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #27
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote: View Post
it is common to roll up the sleeve on the side of the body where an individual is dealing with injury, recovering, or taking it easy, etc, etc.
That's how it is at the dojo here too. I broke my hand a couple of months ago and followed the convention once I got back on the mat, but of course plenty of visitors were not familiar with it. I found that wearing a bandage or tape just for show was also helpful.

Regarding ill-fitting dogi, I once bought a terrible "dedicated Aikidogi". It has ridiculously short sleeves (sodeguchi grabs take place at the elbow) and only gets worn if it rains four days in a row.

Regards

Carl
Old 01-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #28
Mike Haftel
Japan

In Judo, it is actually against the rules to roll up your sleeves because your oppenent would have nothing to hold on to and it gives you an advantage.

In other arts, I don't think it matters much. My gi is a hybrid kendo style, so my sleeves only come down to my elbow, anyway.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #29
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Mike Haftel wrote: View Post
In Judo, it is actually against the rules to roll up your sleeves because your oppenent would have nothing to hold on to and it gives you an advantage.

In other arts, I don't think it matters much. My gi is a hybrid kendo style, so my sleeves only come down to my elbow, anyway.
I'd actually prefer my opponent roll his sleeves up and sew them so they stay there. Mmmm giant collar like grips near the elbows.....

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #30
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I'd actually prefer my opponent roll his sleeves up and sew them so they stay there. Mmmm giant collar like grips near the elbows.....
Oddly enough I feel the same way about one guy at our dojo with very long hair. He keeps it in a pony tail. Man, what a great handle... I can't count how many times I've had to stop myself from using it...

Old 01-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #31
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
You'd like the Sambo jacket (kurtka) then!

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #32
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Oddly enough I feel the same way about one guy at our dojo with very long hair. He keeps it in a pony tail. Man, what a great handle... I can't count how many times I've had to stop myself from using it...
Funny! I have long hair but try to avoid the ponytail thing.
I try to go for a more "Samurai-esque" Top-knot... or if you prefer a "Librarian-esque" bun.

Hair pulling is for little girls!!!

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #33
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
You'd like the Sambo jacket (kurtka) then!
Actually, that uniform is the one reason I want to train sambo.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 01-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #34
nagoyajoe

Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Japan

For the past 5 years that I have been practicing in Japan, we have never been allowed to roll up our sleeves, especially during kokyudosa or any katatetori waza, because is is so humid. It is next to impossible to get a good, firm grip on a naked wrist dripping with sweat. I have seen (abroad) kokyudosa done with either shorter sleeves or rolled up sleeves and people getting hit in the mouth because their hands slide due to the sweat.

As far as what is "correct" or "standard"...no idea!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #35
rachford
Dojo: NRL & Capital Aikikai

Whenever we practice jo with my small group at the gym at work I roll up my sleeves. Often after having the jo get stuck in the sleeve in the middle of an awase practice as happened last night again for the umpteenth time.
We had formal classes at work for over 20 years then in a bureaucratic power play another organization took over the running of the gym at the military base and outlawed all civilian groups. We continued practicing as just "guys working out" and initially we showed up in shorts or sweat pants and tee shirts. It quickly became apparent that this would not work out. Too many torn shirts and not enough absorbance in the Washington, DC summers with no air conditioning. So now we're just "guys working out in judo gis". (And I try to remember to bring the hakama when I train at Capitol Aikikai on the weekends and keep the sleeves down.)
Old 01-17-2008, 05:45 AM   #36
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

Saito Sensei often made the point in the Iwama Dojo that it was bad form to have rolled up sleeves.
Isoyama Sensei took time at a seminar here in Copenhagen last year to go through many interesting points of dojo etiquette - emphasizing also that the dojo etiquette for aikido sometimes differs from other martial arts. He made the same point about rolled up sleeves. His general point was that one should dress oneself carefully. The term "fukuso" refers to proper attire in Japanese. He used this term when talking about proper attire in the dojo. He pointed out that if you bought a new suit and the sleeves were too long, you would have the suit altered. The same should be the case with the keiko-gi, and the hakama as well. Hakama straps that hang down too far are also not good form, according to Isoyama Sensei.

In Aiki,

Ethan Weisgard
Old 01-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #37
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
I wore double ponytails for the first time to practice last night, normally I just wear one long one. The guys had great fun coming up behind me and pulling on them right as I was about to demonstrate a new technique to new member. I guess that was their way of demonstrating to the new member not to wear her hair in ponytails....

I have short legs, I have short arms, I roll my sleeves once at the wrists just so that I can SEE my wrists! I am not crafty with a needle so rolling worked better for me.

"Aikido is nothing but an expression of the spirit of Love for all living things."

Morihei Ueshiba
www.aikido-kajukenbo.com
Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #38
Raul Roldan
Dojo: Aikikai NSW
Australia

having trained in hot and humid climate as Jakarta, Manila, South Korea (in summer) and once in Japan in summer, too. i usually wore my sleeves short, either rolled up initially or altered.
i am not aware, either of any etiquette regarding this. this response, as far as i am concerned is about comfort and practicality.
no one has yet pointed this out to me, so i have continued doing it and will probably, continue doing it. if someone is really bent on imposing it, i guess that makes it uncomfortable in every way, and i'll just have to leave the mat.
in a sense, to each his own.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #39
mikeygh
Dojo: Northampton Kai Shin Kai
United Kingdom

In our dojo most people wear an Aikido gi from "Nine Circles" because they have shorter sleeves and are supposedly designed for Aikido.

If someone does have problems with long sleeves and wants to roll them up we get them to roll the sleeves up on the inside of their gi. This way they can have short sleeves and nobody gets their fingures caught.

You like it.........You just don't know it yet!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #40
SentWest
Dojo: East County Budokai
United_States

Quote:
Trish Greene wrote: View Post
I roll my sleeves once at the wrists just so that I can SEE my wrists! I am not crafty with a needle so rolling worked better for me.
Same for me. If I didn't roll them up one I wouldn't have any hands.

However, I don't want to get the sleeves hemmed until it does all the shrinking in the wash it may want to do.