Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-25-2006, 01:54 AM   #1
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States
Got my gi today :)

Hooray.....im not the one who sticks out anymore...ehehe. Got it used, only $25 bucks, it's in perfect condition except for a few patches on the legs.

You can just wash them like normal right? I know, I know, dont wash the belt, lol.

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 08-25-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
justin
United Kingdom
Re: Got my gi today :)

no holding you back now mate go for it, give it five years and you have a full wardrobe of them
Old 08-25-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

Congrats on your first Gi ! As Justin said you will "eventually have a full wardrobe of them."

Most Gi manufacturers, such as Iwata, say to: 1) wash in cold water, 2) do not use bleach, 3) do not use the dryer, 4) line-dry.

Personally, I use hot water and the dryer. I also use bleach about every 10 washings or so (white Gis, of course). I have some Gis that are 10+ years old and they still look good, so washing them in this way doesn't hurt them.

And most importantly, wash your Gi after each day of practice. No one likes to practice with someone wearing a stinky Gi... Plus it's good hygiene, especially if you sweat a lot during practice.

Last edited by Neal Earhart : 08-25-2006 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:41 AM   #4
Psufencer

Dojo: Lower Providence Aikido
United_States

When I got my first gi, it was a touch large so I really fried it in the dryer a couple of times to shrink it. Since it fits well now and I am afraid to shink it any further, I try to air-dry it when I can, but this takes a very long time...and lends the garment an unfortunate cardboard-like consistency. In a pinch, I've found, using the dryer on "low" works just fine.

And if you haven't got time to wash your gi between every workout, say an evening practice and a lunchtime session the following day as I often do...a little Febreze, strategically placed, will do wonders.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
justin
United Kingdom

and remember not to leave it in your kit bag always let it out for a good airing if you cant find the time to wash it ect god i sound like an old woman !
Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

Quote:
Justin Thomas wrote:
and remember not to leave it in your kit bag always let it out for a good airing if you cant find the time to wash it ect god i sound like an old woman !
yeah, dont leave it in your bag after training, that gets a little nasty, Ive found if I dont have time to was it, hanging it in the bathroom when I shower gives it a sorta steam clean and that helps some, along with using fabreese(sp?) but I try to wash it every week, I need to get another gi though

Dan Hulley
Old 08-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
Mike Hamer

United_States

Thanks for the info guys.

Yea, I could definitly see myself with a whole wardrobe full down the line, hahaha.

I dont have a laundry line...... I live in a small little second floor apartment space..

Old 08-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
DaveS
United Kingdom

Quote:
Daniel Hulley wrote:
yeah, dont leave it in your bag after training, that gets a little nasty, Ive found if I dont have time to was it, hanging it in the bathroom when I shower gives it a sorta steam clean and that helps some, along with using fabreese(sp?) but I try to wash it every week, I need to get another gi though
And relatedly, Things I've Learnt Recently number 57 in a continuing series - when you get your first coloured belt (or any coloured belt, but I'm assuming that you'd learn your lesson after the first time) wash it once or twice before wearing it! Otherwise you end up with pretty pink marks around the middle of your jacket...
Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
Keith Gotschall
Dojo: Yama Dojo
United_States

And stay away from wooden hangers. Left mine wet on a sturdy wooden hanger to air dry.... once. The wood stained the inside of the shouders right through to the outside. Now I use plastic only.

KG
Old 08-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

The first gi I ever bought was for a shotokan dojo. I went and did what any sensible 15 year old otaku would do...I airbrushed Goku on the back of it.

Needless to say, I never made it out of the locker room, haha.

I still have it, btw.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 PM   #11
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

Not sure if this was covered in the above responses, but feel free to wash the belt as well. It's a martial myth about how, long ago, students never washed theirr belts, and eventually, they turned black with practice. If it's dirty, wash it.

Unless the color it turns reminds you of all the hard work you've done in the process. But that's a personal thing, not mandated by some martial myth.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:16 AM   #12
Psufencer

Dojo: Lower Providence Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote:
Not sure if this was covered in the above responses, but feel free to wash the belt as well. It's a martial myth about how, long ago, students never washed theirr belts, and eventually, they turned black with practice. If it's dirty, wash it.

Unless the color it turns reminds you of all the hard work you've done in the process. But that's a personal thing, not mandated by some martial myth.

If nothing else, washing that belt a few times certainly makes it easier to tie!
Old 09-01-2006, 06:16 AM   #13
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Congrats mate, may it bring you many years of use!

I've been in 4 years now and I still only have my original gi jacket, gone through two pairs of pants mind and I've inherited another gi from my instructor (lovely man that he is). Im such a leech

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
Mike Hamer

United_States

Ugh......I still cant tie my DAMN BELT

whut, I said it.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:39 AM   #15
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ugh......I still cant tie my DAMN BELT
Neither can I. Dont worry about it

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:44 AM   #16
justin
United Kingdom

it will soon come to you mate dont panic, you will be able to tie it in the dark with your eyes closed before you know it.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #17
MikeLogan

United_States

Yes, wash the belt, I met someone last fall who was proud of the fact they hadn't washed their belt in close to 5 years. I desperately wanted to wash my hand after sating my curiousity as to its texture.

Tying knots in the dark / eyes closed? One might suggest silk scarves for that kind of thing. Or a moldy rope.

michael.

- i hope someone catches that reference -