Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #51
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Re: how many times have you gotten hurt?

Quote:
Karen Wolek wrote:
Me too!!!!

I don't have the best ukemi in the world, but I am still working on it. Most of my (minor) injuries have been as uke, but the busted nose, I was nage. Ikkyo ura, elbow in the nose. Ouch! Ma'ai is VERY important, people!

ick, I accedently punched my sensei in the nose doing an atemi last week....he said do the atemi with feeling, uke should get out of the way....this was about 10 seconds before I hit him, thankfully no broken nose, no blood but it was a good laugh

Dan Hulley
Old 03-14-2006, 06:03 AM   #52
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Quote:
Reckon I should continue arguing with all those instructors then
Hehe, well I wouldnt 'argue' perse, but I have pressed the issue once and It was just sort of bypassed and considered by this individual to be not too important, so I havent bothered since. Whenever I teach I generally do a half and half mix of ukemi/technique for the focus of the class. Im also trying to introduce some of Waite Sensei's softer ukemi too.

Alot of people also attack incorrectly (flaws, openings, lack of committment etc etc) and this is something I believe should really be focused upon...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 AM   #53
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Hehe, well I wouldnt 'argue' perse, but I have pressed the issue once and It was just sort of bypassed and considered by this individual to be not too important, so I havent bothered since.
That's been my experience too so far

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Whenever I teach I generally do a half and half mix of ukemi/technique for the focus of the class. Im also trying to introduce some of Waite Sensei's softer ukemi too.
Sounds good - your students are lucky!

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Alot of people also attack incorrectly (flaws, openings, lack of committment etc etc) and this is something I believe should really be focused upon...
Absolutely agreed - everything from the limp lettuce leaf attack to just being plain off-course make it incredibly difficult to study Aikido effectively. As tori you either have to change the technique completely or modify it so much to prevent uke from injuring himself that it just doesn't work anymore. If only more uke realised just how dangerous they make things for themselves with poor attacks..

Or we could just let them find out the hard way

Ruth
Old 03-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #54
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Quote:
Sounds good - your students are lucky!
Thanks, But Im just the dogsbody assistant instructor

Quote:
Absolutely agreed - everything from the limp lettuce leaf attack to just being plain off-course make it incredibly difficult to study Aikido effectively. As tori you either have to change the technique completely or modify it so much to prevent uke from injuring himself that it just doesn't work anymore. If only more uke realised just how dangerous they make things for themselves with poor attacks..
Again, Im totally down with this. What can you do though? Everytime I want to do an indepth striking class, theres no novices present

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #55
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Ron - I originally broke my rib practicing kung fu...a type of "one inch palm strike" my friend and I were trying on each other. Pure stupidity I'd say. Then I broke it again free sparring full contact, which is more of a moderate level of stupidy. Then the third time was during an over zealous "tai-atari" irimi attack that was more like a yokomen uchi. That time it may have been my training partners stupidity on top of my own. Now I cover my ribs with a forearm during tai atari practice...a bit non-traditional for SBK ukemi but the days of taking chances are over in aspects such as this.

Ah, they joys of practice.

-L