Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Mato-san
Iceland
Shomenuchi nikkyo

My Sensei rejects this waza, he says it is so far from being natural.
I have to agree to a degree,but there must be some application that is solid. Please tell me about your impressions.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Nick Pagnucco
United_States
Re: Shomenuchi nikkyo

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote:
I have to agree to a degree,but there must be some application that is solid. Please tell me about your impressions.
I think I;d like to know more about your sensei's opinions.

Are there many techniques he sees as being 'unnatural?' Does unnatural mean 'not effective?' What is unnatural about it?

IIRC, there are several threads on whether or not aikido's attacks are good/effective/natural/useful/whatever. As a suggestion, you may like to look at those for some ideas. (others have said things better than I can)
Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

If the shomen uchi is performed as a correct cut, the direction and force will be directed toward
your center, having the power to cut through everything on it's way down.
It doesn't lend itself to Nikyo as technique ,more to Iriminage.
Nishio sensei has once mentioned that we use the term Shomen uchi ,because it is the common name for the strike, however the name for cutting ought to be Shomen giri, the way you project the
power in a cut is different than in a strike.
A real Shomen giri should have so much focus and power, that it is not possibly to alter the movement.
It is my understanding that this is the original power of Shomen giri/uchi ,and it was trained extensively in the old days to be like that,to effectively cut through a helmet and armor.
So this may shed some light on the subject.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
NagaBaba

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote:
Being natural -- is completly subjectif judgement. Who is your teacher to decide which O sensei technique is 'natural' or not?

On the other hand - rejecting O sensei teachning leads you right to creation a new activity -- you can't call it aikido anymore.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Charlie

Quote:
Christian Boddum wrote:
If the shomen uchi is performed as a correct cut, the direction and force will be directed toward
your center, having the power to cut through everything on it's way down.
It doesn't lend itself to Nikyo as technique ,more to Iriminage.
Nishio sensei has once mentioned that we use the term Shomen uchi ,because it is the common name for the strike, however the name for cutting ought to be Shomen giri, the way you project the
power in a cut is different than in a strike.
A real Shomen giri should have so much focus and power, that it is not possibly to alter the movement.
It is my understanding that this is the original power of Shomen giri/uchi ,and it was trained extensively in the old days to be like that,to effectively cut through a helmet and armor.
So this may shed some light on the subject.

That is precisely why you need to enter into the strike BEFORE it has become powerful. Generally speaking if you wait until the downward stroke is happening [and it is correctly executed = strong and focused] means that you are already "late" in your application and stopping/blocking the strike is highly unlikely.

in other words...if you "disarm" the strike at the appropriate point [before the apex is reached] you can still manipulate uke into nikkyo/nikajo. If your timing in off then a different technique would be recommended.

Respectfully,

Charlie

Charles Burmeister
Aikido Yoshinkan Yoseikai

"Calmness is trust in action"
Old 11-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Adman

United_States

Is the "correct cut" empty-handed the same "correct cut" with a sword? Are the objectives the same? When striking someone's head with the edge of your hand, are you literally trying to cut them down to their navel or are you trying to smack 'em in the head? If it's the latter, chances are the strike will have more push to it than a downward direction (in my experience, anyway). Especially if your uke is short (like me). That being said, many people attacking me will be taller, giving the strike a more downward direction. But they'll still be trying to hit me in the head (hopefully) and the strike will still not be a genuine sword cut. Given all of that, any of the ikkyo family of techniques feels natural enough (whatever that is) with a shomenuchi attack.

Striking with a bokken is another story.

thanks,
Adam
Old 11-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
ChristianBoddum

I can't speak for other styles or dojos for that matter.
when we train ken-tai-ken (with bokken) the focus is more uchi than giri, so in effect
we are training more like atemi or Karate in sword form when using bokken.
Of course each teacher has his own angle on this.
So when I hit the head/shomen with a bokken, I will direct the power to the back of ukes neck,
like shomenuchi as a strike is directed,but when training tai-jutsu I will strike shomen-giri,
which will give Tori a continued energy that he can direct and work with, and we can create a more flowing technique with more points before nage/throw/pin.
when we train with iaito the blades must never clash, blocks are of a "flowing" nature,
I think the terms is nagare.
When doing tsuki there can be no cutting motion, it will be a direct straight line attack.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
Charlie

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote:
Is the "correct cut" empty-handed the same "correct cut" with a sword? Are the objectives the same? When striking someone's head with the edge of your hand, are you literally trying to cut them down to their navel or are you trying to smack 'em in the head?
Also not speaking for other styles...

Within the Yoshinkan Yoseikai/Seiseikai family we attack using the "giri" form. When I attack with shomen-uchi I am trying to cut to your navel.

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote:
...If it's the latter, chances are the strike will have more push to it than a downward direction (in my experience, anyway)...
This is precisely why Parker sensei mandates to attack in the "giri" manner. Like you state, the attack becomes more of a push than a cut if you don't strike to the center making it much harder to generate power in the attack.

Respectfully,

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie : 11-10-2006 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spell check!!!

Charles Burmeister

Old 11-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
Adman

United_States

Christian and Charlie ... I appreciate your responses. Heck my teachers say the same thing in regards to cutting down. What I'm trying to pick at here is what happens on contact, if you manage to actually connect with nage's head with shomenuchi. Although my intent is to make contact and cut down, my striking arm will extend forward (however little) to prevent it from collapsing before continuing down (so basically, a push). If nage removes the target, the strike will follow-through and continue down to resemble the "correct" form of shomenuchi.
Quote:
the attack becomes more of a push than a cut if you don't strike to the center making it much harder to generate power in the attack.
Cutting down or not, It is always my intention to strike the center, if not "to" it. A "push" with downward intent can be quite powerful.

I would like to take more time to write more clearly on what I mean (and to get to my elusive point of where ikkyo/nikyo fits in), but I have to leave work and get home.

thanks!
Adam
Old 11-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
ChristianBoddum

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for,
as it seems you have a good understanding of the function of shomen-uchi.

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote:
What I'm trying to pick at here is what happens on contact, if you manage to actually connect with nage's head with shomenuchi. Although my intent is to make contact and cut down, my striking arm will extend forward (however little) to prevent it from collapsing before continuing down (so basically, a push). If nage removes the target, the strike will follow-through and continue down to resemble the "correct" form of shomenuchi.Cutting down or not, It is always my intention to strike the center, if not "to" it. A "push" with downward intent can be quite powerful.
If uke really makes a strong shomen-uchi, nage will be pushed backwards and down.
In training it is a very overpowering feeling, to be at the receiving end of such a focused shomen-uchi.

I'd better go to sleep now before I start rambling
Old 11-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
Kevin Wilbanks

Quote:
Christian Boddum wrote:
This sounds highly doubtful to me. To start with, it is probably nearly impossible to cut through an iron or bronze helmet with a sword stroke. I studied Katori Shinto Ryu for a while, which is a sword school that hasn't changed in almost 500 years. All the kata that are designed for armored fighting aim the strikes at specific targets not protected by the armor: under the arms, between the plates, under the edge of the helmet, etc... The main reason is that well-made armor works.

A secondary, but also important reason is that swords do not grow on trees. Back in samurai times, a good sword was extremely valuable, not only economically, but in terms of the warrior's life depending on it's continuing function. People were very careful not to break or dull their blades.

As far as the nikkyo issue goes, in our school, one unbalances and disadvantages uke seriously with musubi arm contact doing ikkyo before grabbing at all, much less trying to apply a specific nikkyo grab. If the strike is full of force and too far to do omote, one simply does ura and applies the nikkyo grip when uke is at least halfway down and usually under control, though sometimes a "mid-air" switch is used.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #12
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
This sounds highly doubtful to me. To start with, it is probably nearly impossible to cut through an iron or bronze helmet with a sword stroke.
It's not impossible, sometimes you see old helmets that have been cut through with swords in combat on display in Japan. Of course, the reason that they are on display is that executing such a cut successfully is such an unusual event, so I wouldn't think that training to cut through helmets is going to be cost effective as a standard approach .

Best,

Chris

Old 11-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #13
Charlie

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote:
Christian and Charlie ... I appreciate your responses. Heck my teachers say the same thing in regards to cutting down. What I'm trying to pick at here is what happens on contact, if you manage to actually connect with nage's head with shomenuchi. Although my intent is to make contact and cut down, my striking arm will extend forward (however little) to prevent it from collapsing before continuing down (so basically, a push). If nage removes the target, the strike will follow-through and continue down to resemble the "correct" form of shomenuchi.Cutting down or not, It is always my intention to strike the center, if not "to" it. A "push" with downward intent can be quite powerful.

I would like to take more time to write more clearly on what I mean (and to get to my elusive point of where ikkyo/nikyo fits in), but I have to leave work and get home.

thanks!
Adam
I don't understand....you're asking what happens if contact is made? I guess (theoretically) you are knocked out or cut...who cares at that point if there is a "slight" push out. If it wasn't a finishing blow to begin with you will be scrambling to recover anyway!

My point was more to the fact that "we" practice any shomenuchi nikajo/nikkyo technique in a manner that has us move in to intercept the attacking arm before it has become "armed and dangerous". In doing so, "we" are basically performing the nikajo/nikkyo pin off of an ikkajo base

**sudden rumblings of a thousand year technique begin to pulsate in my brain**

It now doesn't matter if uke's intent was to utilize more of a push or a downward cut because you enter before they have had a chance to do either.

Anyway...I just may be missing your point as well...

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie : 11-11-2006 at 09:19 AM.

Charles Burmeister

Old 11-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #14
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

...and some of the posters in this thread are implying that shomenuchi is a valid/effective/expected strike rather than a training tool.

I see it simply as a training tool to give a ridiculously clumsy and easily countered strike to the receiver.
I also see nikkyo coming off an ikkyo base for this one, making Matthew's topic rather deeper :
Is ikkyo so far from being natural? (Not my words)

Oh and the helmet-cutting seems only to have been partially successful even with a helmet propped on a stake or table.
Quote:
Christian Boddum wrote:
Seems obvious to me, a decent helmet stops a sword blade, so does armour so Christian please stop repeating that myth.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #15
ChristianBoddum

[quote=Michael Douglas
Seems obvious to me, a decent helmet stops a sword blade, so does armour so Christian please stop repeating that myth.[/QUOTE]

I don't like your tone...
I base what I say on what I am told from my teachers in toho,
and some (a little) of my own study.
I never claimed to be an authority in this field.

Just last weekend i was invited to a museum to study original
japanese armor, there were 3 sets ,so there was a reasonable opportunity to look at the strong points of the different sets.
Unfortunately they were not mounted on a stand.

When we train in Aiki toho iai, the cutting and stabbing points is
based on the weak points of the armor i.e. where motion is necessary.
Nishio sensei used to go in detail about this, but I only trained
toho at his seminars twice so I must get this info second hand.

Back to Nikyo,
as I understand it, in the old days Nikyo was a much shorter technique i.e.
holding down an opponent trying to stop you from drawing your sword from Saya,and then draw and cut.
Aiki toho kata 7 Tekubi-osae is an example that has this root.
So for shomen uchi Ikkyo/Sankyo/Iriminage/Kotegaeshi are the more obvious choices to my mind.

Last edited by ChristianBoddum : 11-11-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #16
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote:
Kato Sensei's approach is a little different than the stadard nikkyo. As one who has taken his nikkyo, it seemed effective to me. Of course you can't wait till the attack is fully extended.
Again as others have asked, who is your sensei?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #17
Douglas Fajardo
Dojo: budo aiki dojo aikikai
Cuba

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
Being natural -- is completly subjectif judgement. Who is your teacher to decide which O sensei technique is 'natural' or not?

On the other hand - rejecting O sensei teachning leads you right to c reation a new activity -- you can't call it aikido anymore.
I'm totally ok with you my friend, by the way this person that you said MacDowell is a real sensei ?, my friend if you «sensei» said that, ,,,,,, you better start to looking for a new one
,my opinion , he dosent know nothing about the real budo AIKIDO
Old 11-13-2006, 12:51 AM   #18
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Shomen-uchi nikajo....

Works great in kata/kihon whatever... not so great in randori/jiyu-waza (especially with speed and with resistant). It is as some will say... "low percentage" technique. There are just better response (higher percentage) response to shomen-uchi and nikajo isn't one of them.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #19
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

If you look at early Ueshiba video you can see a sequence in suwari waza derived from aiki-jitsu, all from shomen-uchi: irimi-ikkyo, tenkan ikkyo, nikyo etc.

I agree that shomen-uchi nikyo is practically not useful, but often what we are learning is to move from one technique or body position to another. Thus it is useful to learn how to do nikkyo from a position in which your hand is already grabbing the wrist (ikkyo style). Also, talking about utility can be a bit self-delusional, suggesting that what we do in the dojo is realistic rather than just training.

Don't know why this thread has taken a harsh turn. I think its useful to recognise that we're all on a journey in aikido so I wouldn't be as harsh as to say that the sensei is wrong - I'm not sure that he has got somewhere where I don't yet understand or vice versa.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #20
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
I agree that shomen-uchi nikyo is practically not useful, but often what we are learning is to move from one technique or body position to another. Thus it is useful to learn how to do nikkyo from a position in which your hand is already grabbing the wrist (ikkyo style). Also, talking about utility can be a bit self-delusional, suggesting that what we do in the dojo is realistic rather than just training.
I'm pretty much with Ian on this.

If you take aikido moves as techiques with the aim being to reproduce that technique then shomenuchi nikkyo usefulness is questionable (although one of my students claims to have used nikkyo very effectively during security work).

If you look at it as a tool to learn other things then it can be highly effective in teaching Aikido bases.

Regards

D
Old 11-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #21
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

Everything comes from Ikkyo. My sensei says that everything he does is only because he couldn't do Ikkyo. If you view shomen-uhci nikkyo as being a botched Ikkyo you can get a clearer view of when and how it can be used.

Say you taken Ikkyo from shomen-uchi, but dont get uki right to the floor and they start to stand/aim a punch back at you the position of your hands for ikkyo makes nikkyo pretty much an obvious progression

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 11-15-2006, 07:33 AM   #22
Mato-san
Iceland

Yeah guys, I seemed to open up a can of worms here, good to see the opinions.
In regards to my Sensei.
Sensei was a student of Tohei-Sensei for at least 15 years of his Aikido career that is a portion of his 30 odd years in Aikido, because of a language barrier I can`t exactly describe in detail the inspiration behind each technique.
But after watching a shomenuchi nikkyo on http://www.budodojo.com/taijutsu.htm I asked why we don`t do it.......we played with it and then it was dismissed as an unnatural waza, when practiced at speed it seemed that way. When I say speed I must say that fluency and yooooooom yoooooooom yooooom did not sit right, but that is not to say I have rejected the waza myself, it is still on the brain.
I have an image of shomenuchi kotegaishi but without the kotegaishi, then extending maai and bringing uke in for a nikkyo (just a thought, a simple one at that) it still seems far from natural.
Thanks for the impressions.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #23
Mato-san
Iceland
Talking Re: Shomenuchi nikkyo

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote:

I also see nikkyo coming off an ikkyo base for this one, making Matthew's topic rather deeper :
Is ikkyo so far from being natural? (Not my words)

That was the exact debate at the dojo......very valid Michael

Old 11-15-2006, 07:51 AM   #24
Mato-san
Iceland

Quote:
Douglas Fajardo wrote:
I'm totally ok with you my friend, by the way this person that you said MacDowell is a real sensei ?, my friend if you «sensei» said that, ,,,,,, you better start to looking for a new one
,my opinion , he dosent know nothing about the real budo AIKIDO
Ohh Douglas I hope you are not refering to my Sensei, I believe he is the real deal, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion and also their choice of instructors.

All the best

Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #25
Mato-san
Iceland

Jun can I post an action sequence or two of pics somewhere on the site?