Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
~RIYO~
Dojo: Dragon's Den Martial Arts
United_States
Question question

Lets say you are in school, and taking Aikido.What if everyone knows you do Aikido.Do you think they will treat you differently?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea
Re: question

no. aikido does not make you special or a star. do not seek personal affirmation outside only from within. from you post, you are probably very young, so this may be difficult to understand, but once you get it, you won't lose it, and no one can take it from you.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States

It depends more on who you are, who they are, and how much you brag about it.

I've had people who though I was cool, people who looked to me for protection, people who though i was a wimp, people who wanted to kick my butt, people who were suddenly intimidated, and people who messed with me just to see how far they could push me. I've been threatend with boyfriends, uncles, brothers, friends, fathers, weapons and large numbers.

When you really love doing something outside of the norm people can and usually do view you a little diffrently. But when you are doing martial arts you gain so much more than just being able to punch kick and throw people, you gain discipline, perserverence, focus, and a bit of maturity. It could be that everyone will treat you the same but you will change into a diffrent person.

You can expect some minor changes, but mostly the changes would have occured even if you had never heard of aikido, they are just normal life.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

If you tell them that one of your instructors studied under Take Shigimichi Sensei (Steven Seagal...before he was famous of course!) like at my school....then...you might get some attention...and that's IF and ONLY if...they even know who Steven Seagal is! I've talked with a bunch of kids my age some even like 2 or 3 years older than me....and they're not familiar with him nor have they heard of him! LOL! I'm 18...just in case anyone was wondering.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

By the way...when I tell my peers about Steven Seagal...I actually use his real name...which is Steven Seagal...and they still don't know who he is! That tells you just how bad a movie Exit Wounds was! LOL! (IMHO)
Old 08-02-2005, 01:54 AM   #6
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alan M. Rodriguez wrote:
That tells you just how bad all his movies were... LOL! (IMHO)

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:23 AM   #7
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

When I was at school, I practiced karate. Luckily me skills were never ever tested by anyone. Some guys made joke: "One have to be careful, Dirk knows karate." with a smile on their face.
If you do not take these jokes as offensive behaviour and if you do not let your skills being tested. "My sensei does not allow this", you might get a little bit more respect. Becareful with tough guys, who want to prove that their karate, boxing, jiu jutsu is better.

I even heard stories about "I know eurythmy (bio-karate)!" helped in school bus conflicts, while this Walldorf-sound-dancing does not provide more to martial art than maybe "harmonious body movement" (Webster's). It might as the others do not know anything about it, but this would probably fall under the post of unproved legends.

But without any joke: by training aikido you might straigthen up a bit and behave more self conscious. That is what changes behaviour of others, even without knowing you are doing any martial art.

Dirk
Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #8
Krista DeCoste
Canada

Caitlin, I was wondering in what way you thought people might treat you differently? My experience has been that I feel more confident and happy because I have found something I love to do and so this may affect the way I interact with people. Also, my work takes me into schools and I have shared the fact that I am practicing Aikido and found that students who have an interest in martial arts (or even just being tough) realize we may have something in common and are more comfortable and willing to cooperate more in class where previously they may put more energy into being the class clowns.

I was wondering if you were maybe having a hard time in school and want people to leave you alone. If that is the case I say taking any steps that help you feel more confident and happy, will change the impression you give and how threatened you feel. I think for girls especially, Aikido can help you learn to be assertive and even more aggressive if you need to be. I may be off the mark with where your question was coming from.

Krista