Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Atemi Article

Unless something changes, Black Belt Magazine has informed me that my article on Atemi will be published in the June issue. It has taken awhile but hopefully it will be there.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
aikidoc
United_States
Re: Atemi Article

IT IS IN-I was contacted by a group called In the News who wants to laminate it for me and charge me $386. Anyway, it has been published so you should get a copy soon.

I hope I did this topic justice. Please provide me with constructive feedback since this is a definite topic of interest of mine. Be kind .
Old 04-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
aikidoc
United_States

P.S. For anyone writing for these magazines expect a 2 year process. Gary and I have both been promoted to yondan since the article was submitted (I changed it but it did not get corrected).
Old 04-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
aikidoc
United_States

Just checked with the local bookstore and the stands will not get the magazine until about May 3rd. I guess the subscribers get it first.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
darin

Congratulations.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #6
John Boswell

United_States

Congrats, Sensei!

Can't wait to read it.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
aikidoc
United_States

Thanks: Update-April 26 is when I'm told it will be on the news stand. It starts on page 118 and runs through page 126. Title: Aikido: striking and pressure points
Old 04-19-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Yes, congratulations. We have it as of today (I looked yesterday, too) on our local B & N magazine rack.

I especially liked the fact that you cited sources--the only article to do so in this issue. How was BB about that? (I don't get the impression that they put a lot of stock on rigor...)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 04-19-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
aikidoc
United_States

They did not say anything. Other than adding some pictures of O'Sensei, the pretty much left the article alone. I could not detect any editing. I figured they would just leave the references off but they did not.

Let me know if you have any feedback on the topic. I hope I did it justice. I started the research on this over 5 years ago and submitted it to JAMA-they accepted it and then changed editors about 3 or 4 times and then after letting it sit a year told me I had to rewrite it. I did but not for them-I thought it was tacky to not let me know sooner. So I rewrote it for BB and it was accepted 2 years ago. A long time coming but I finally got it published.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:59 AM   #10
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Great... I guess i'll just have to wait 1 month or 2 before it hits our shores and pay some $40 local money for it.

Whatever happen to online journals, free dissemination of info, blah blah...?

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:54 AM   #11
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Its too bad JAMA proved so difficult to deal with...I used to like them quite a bit. Doesn't speak well of thier process...

Ron (congrats on the publication!)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #12
SeiserL

United_States

Congratulations on your article. I am always delighted to see anything available to help educate the general martial art community about Aikido. Domo.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #13
aikidoc
United_States

Thanks Ron & Lynn.

I did not exactly care for their process. I originally submitted to them due to liking their focus on academic integrity. It made me search to verify my impressions and it was also at their suggestion that I perform the survey which was interesting.

What I found interesting in researching the article was the fact that my impression that little was mentioned of atemi in the aikido literature. To my surprise (you had to look carefully) and delight, it was mentioned quite regularly.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #14
aikidoc
United_States

I was able to pick up a copy today at Barnes & Noble. Sorry about that last post-I was rushing between patients. I meant to say I originally had the impression that very little was mentioned in the aikido literature about atemi. To my surprise, I found quite a bit when researching the literature. I was also surprised about the number actually interested in the topic.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #15
SeiserL

United_States

Sensei,
Got and read the article just now. Deepest compliments and appreciation. Very well written, insightful, and informative. Domo arigato.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #16
aikidoc
United_States

Lynn:

Thank you for your comments. It's my favorite topic.

John
Old 04-22-2005, 06:40 AM   #17
aikidoc
United_States

We got a little free publicity out of the article for Aikido. They interviewed me on one of the local news channels and did a 90 second bit on us doing aikido. It was fun.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:41 AM   #18
SeiserL

United_States

Do your own local press release. It can help educate the cummunity and its a great way to market.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 04-22-2005, 08:25 AM   #19
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Sounds like a great article, ill have to try and find a copy over here. I always find it really bizaare that many people will state there is no atemi in aikido even when you show them otherwise. Its almost like they wont allow their initial preconceptions to be changed.

Recently myself and a couple of other students accompanied one of our instructors, Peter Seth to a karate class where he was teaching them some aikido. He got us to teach a technique each so I chose yokomen-uchi shihonage projection as I thought its dynamic nature and many openings for atemi would interest the karateka.

As I did the technique I stopped it at every point I thought atemi could be inserted and demonstrated each one: A strike to the face, kick in the groin, strike in the kidneys, strike to the underside of the elbow to break the arm and finally a strike to the neck/eye gouge.

At the end of the class the karate instructor highlighted the difference in styles being that there was no striking in aikido. What do you have to do?

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:53 AM   #20
aikidoc
United_States

Nick: maybe you should have struck the points to make your point. I constantly try to point out the atemi openings and points to my students. One can learn to hit the points while doing a nice flowing movement so it doesn't even look like atemi (but feels like it to the uke-numb fingers, etc.).

Thanks for the idea Lynn. I may just do a press release. Maybe it will be picked up by one of the other media. The news station did a good piece on us for 90 seconds.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #21
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Thanks John, I did actually strike most of the points, I even accidentally connected properly on the kick to the groin due to my over-zealousness (sorry Tim!). They just didnt seem to take it on board.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #22
John Boswell

United_States

I know for a FACT that atemi IS in aikido... my arm is still sore from last night's class! Doing a kokyunage off of a two hand lapel grab, now my forearem feels like poo!

Thanks alot, Sensei! Sheesh! Though I guess I really should blame Mikey-san.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:34 AM   #23
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Nick: maybe you should have struck the points to make your point.
Don't worry, he did.
ESPECIALLY the groin strike.

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:42 AM   #24
aikidoc
United_States

Ouch. Voice raises in pitch. Hope you are ok.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:16 AM   #25
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Yeah, but you got me back the other day Stop whinging about a kick to the nuts, sheesh...